Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 03:11 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,724,520 times

Advertisements

Philly's been quiet on the national scale for the most part, except a lot of little negative stuff. Come to think of it I can't remember the last time Philly was in the news for something positive. I'm thinking the giants game last season. That was the greatest game in NFL history, easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 03:38 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Los Angeles, California:

- Rodney King race riots (1992) - Probably my #1 pick
- Robert Kennedy assassination (1968)
- O.J. Simpson trial (1995)
- Death of Michael Jackson (2009)
i agree that the 1992 riots were the clear #1 event for LA. the oj simpson trial was definitely #2, and the 1994 northridge earthquake #3.

if you consider 1984 as being part of this generation (debatable), then you'd have to count the 1984 LA olympics.

and although the late '60s were clearly a different generation, i notice that you listed the RFK assassination in '68, so i'll add the manson family murders in 1969 (arguably just as big of a news story as RFK) and the 1971 san fernando/sylmar earthquake.

for nyc, if we are to list events prior to the mid-80s (my cutoff for when "this generation" began), then the son of sam murders in 1976-77 and the summer blackout of '77 (along with the subsequent looting/arson) have to be up there, too.

i'd also list the space shuttle challenger disaster in 1986 as a seminal moment that was more of a nationwide news event than a florida-specific one. also, the space shuttle columbia disaster over texas in 2003.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:19 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
i agree that the 1992 riots were the clear #1 event for LA. the oj simpson trial was definitely #2, and the 1994 northridge earthquake #3.

if you consider 1984 as being part of this generation (debatable), then you'd have to count the 1984 LA olympics.

and although the late '60s were clearly a different generation, i notice that you listed the RFK assassination in '68, so i'll add the manson family murders in 1969 (arguably just as big of a news story as RFK) and the 1971 san fernando/sylmar earthquake.

for nyc, if we are to list events prior to the mid-80s (my cutoff for when "this generation" began), then the son of sam murders in 1976-77 and the summer blackout of '77 (along with the subsequent looting/arson) have to be up there, too.

i'd also list the space shuttle challenger disaster in 1986 as a seminal moment that was more of a nationwide news event than a florida-specific one. also, the space shuttle columbia disaster over texas in 2003.
Yeah my bad, I completely forgot about the '84 Olympics and the Northridge quake. Michael Jackson dying was huge though. It was seriously top news on CNN for like 2 weeks. I think they called it the most shocking/talked about death since Princess Diana in 1997.

I also just remembered the whole Heaven's Gate Cult deaths in San Diego in 1997. That may be San Diego's #1.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:26 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Yeah my bad, I completely forgot about the '84 Olympics and the Northridge quake. Michael Jackson dying was huge though. It was seriously top news on CNN for like 2 weeks. I think they called it the most shocking/talked about death since Princess Diana in 1997.

I also just remembered the whole Heaven's Gate Cult deaths in San Diego in 1997. That may be San Diego's #1.

the last reminds me of the Branch Dividians in WACO

that group in SD all wore the same sneakers

I think I am older than many here but OJ and the trial and low speed chase were way more media frenzied than MJs death. it was crazy

Old 03-03-2011, 10:24 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Denver (Columbine shooting)
Denver has had a few bizarre headlines that I vividly remember. No doubt Columbine being the most tragic, but also....

6 year old beauty queen murder (the Ramseys in Boulder).

Ted Haggart, the 10,000 member church evangelical preacher getting caught tweaking out on crystal meth with a gay hooker

The hot air baloon hoax with the supossed story of a little boy trapped in it, turns out to be a bizarre publicity stunt.

the opening of the new Denver airport in the 90's and all the flaws that went with it and the conspiracy theories that follow it today.

the 2008 DNC was a great success, certainly better than Boston's.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:07 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,402,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
the last reminds me of the Branch Dividians in WACO

that group in SD all wore the same sneakers

I think I am older than many here but OJ and the trial and low speed chase were way more media frenzied than MJs death. it was crazy
That probably goes for both of us, and would agree on OJ.

With MJ, it was certainly the most captivating celebrity demise since Diana, however Dr. Conrad Murray's trial isn't set to begin until March 28th, and the story has already lost practically all of it's steam. OJ's was quite the opposite, igniting a seemingly endless media frenzy for what felt like an eternity. These, I remember:

NYC---- 911, WTC bombing of '93
Atlanta---- '96 Olympics/park bombing, Atlanta child murders '79-'82
New Orleans----Hurricane Katrina
Portland---- Mount Saint Helens (agree with previous poster; never associated it with Portland but remember it vividly)
San Francisco---- Guyana tragedy of '78 (too young at the time, but story was still hot even out of diapers), Earthquake of '89
Waco TX---- Branch Davidian massacre of '93
Birmingham----Abortion clinic bombing of '98, Natalie Holloway
Oklahoma City---- Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building bombing '94
Los Angeles---- '84 Olympics, OJ, MJ, Earthquake of '94
Orlando---- Space Shuttle Challenger explosion of '86 (has been another since, but this one 'sticks' for me)

Bonus: Tonya Harding Vs Nancy Karrigan
Do you remember how much of a big deal this was at the time? It was easily the most highly anticipated face-off in Olympic history for all of the wrong reasons. The fact that one of them attempted to have the other knocked off prior to the event was more than enough to catapult the broadcast into Nielson hall of fame status easily.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:09 PM

226 posts, read 646,218 times
Evansville, Indiana - Tornado?

Old 03-03-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post

With MJ, it was certainly the most captivating celebrity demise since Diana, however Dr. Conrad Murray's trial isn't set to begin until March 28th, and the story has already lost practically all of it's steam. OJ's was quite the opposite, igniting a seemingly endless media frenzy for what felt like an eternity. These, I remember:

Portland---- Mount Saint Helens (agree with previous poster; never associated it with Portland but remember it vividly)
San Francisco---- Guyana tragedy of '78 (too young at the time, but story was still hot even out of diapers), Earthquake of '89
Orlando---- Space Shuttle Challenger explosion of '86 (has been another since, but this one 'sticks' for me)

Do you remember how much of a big deal this was at the time? It was easily the most highly anticipated face-off in Olympic history for all of the wrong reasons. The fact that one of them attempted to have the other knocked off prior to the event was more than enough to catapult the broadcast into Nielson hall of fame status easily.
anohter one is Three mile island, was very young but there was two days where they were considering evacuating NYC, Philly, Baltimore, and DC - it was actually Harrisburg PA but i think everything within a 150 miles radius was nearly evacuated

on the int'l scene; The Russian Nuclear disaster (I work with someone who was evacuated to never return) and the Berlin Wall

Old 03-03-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post

As another spin on the Olympics the 80 Winter Olympics and the US winning the hockey was pretty amazing for me a young child on a postive note - Foever lake Placid will conjour that memory for me

Old 03-03-2011, 03:29 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,402,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
anohter one is Three mile island, was very young but there was two days where they were considering evacuating NYC, Philly, Baltimore, and DC - it was actually Harrisburg PA but i think everything within a 150 miles radius was nearly evacuated

on the int'l scene; The Russian Nuclear disaster (I work with someone who was evacuated to never return) and the Berlin Wall
Don't quite remember that one, but I'll look it up and see if it jogs the memory. I also remember when someone began shooting in the Perimeter years ago. My aunt was in there shopping, and they asked everyone to go the back of whatever store they were in while they closed the entrance gates to each. Doubt if she's been back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City