Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Birmingham smaller version of Atlanta
Ya 32 25.60%
No 93 74.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:05 PM

818 posts, read 1,387,790 times

Advertisements

Both deep southern powerhouses that were once fierce rivals competing for power and dominance. Well Atlanta won the battle but Birmingham is most similar to Atlanta, both equal on per capita income edge to Birmingham, weather, safety, demographics, Birmingham to have amenities of Atlanta on smaller scale, and rich southern culture and architecture.

Is Birmingham a smaller akin younger sibling to Atlanta? Where do similarities end between these two cities of the southeast?

Last edited by Infamous Past; 03-10-2011 at 10:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 11:13 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,328,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous past View Post
both deep southern powerhouses that were once fierce rivals competing for power and dominance. Well atlanta won the battle but birmingham is most similar to atlanta, both equal on per capita income edge to birmingham, weather, safety, demographics, birmingham to have amenities of atlanta on smaller scale, and rich southern culture and architecture.

Is birmingham a smaller akin younger sibling to atlanta? where do similarities end between these two cities of the southeast?
i-20.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:26 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,877,946 times
Oh no not again.

The only thing Bham and the ATL have in common is I-20. Other than that the differences are night and day.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:28 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
No.

Birmingham is a smaller version of Pittsburgh in Dixie.

If there is a smaller version of Atlanta, it would be Charlotte and even then not really.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:31 AM

10,261 posts, read 12,508,457 times
Birmingham is baby Atlanta

Old 03-11-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Oh no not again.

The only thing Bham and the ATL have in common is I-20. Other than that the differences are night and day.
Agreed...and it's not necessarily a bad thing.

I'm sure you could come up with a few more "similarities" (i.e. north side Atlanta burbs and south side Birmingham burbs), but largely, the two cities are very different...and not just due to size.

I don't know if there is a true "smaller Atlanta," but if I was to have to pick a candidate, I'd go with Charlotte.

I'm not sure if there is a truly good comparison as to what Birmingham is a "small version of," as it used to be one of the bigger cities in the south. It's a smaller version of a major rust belt city in a southern setting.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Agreed...and it's not necessarily a bad thing.

I'm sure you could come up with a few more "similarities" (i.e. north side Atlanta burbs and south side Birmingham burbs), but largely, the two cities are very different...and not just due to size.

I don't know if there is a true "smaller Atlanta," but if I was to have to pick a candidate, I'd go with Charlotte.

I'm not sure if there is a truly good comparison as to what Birmingham is a "small version of," as it used to be one of the bigger cities in the south. It's a smaller version of a major rust belt city in a southern setting.

Being a smaller version of Atlanta wouldnt be bad thing. I wouldnt mind having their growth/economic percentage rates, etc. As of right now Charlotte fits the title of being a smaller ATL than Bham does. Bham could make a better case for being a smaller Pittsburgh, or (**gasp**) Detroit.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:57 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times
It's beyond obvious that this obsession with the Deep South is growing stronger.....

Old 03-11-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Being a smaller version of Atlanta wouldnt be bad thing. I wouldnt mind having their growth/economic percentage rates, etc. As of right now Charlotte fits the title of being a smaller ATL than Bham does. Bham could make a better case for being a smaller Pittsburgh, or (**gasp**) Detroit.
Smaller Pittsburgh. Similar industry, similar setting (sans the rivers)...except Birmingham Metro is still gaining people. Birmingham city has a nice downtown, but seems to be rotting at the core from a population standpoint.

Not to worry, though, Atlanta proper was losing thousands of people from the 70s-90s...it has now bounced back big time. B-ham city leaders just need to find a way to stop the bleeding and grow back the inner city to a healthy 300k or so.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:07 AM

[quote=nashvols;18235155]Smaller Pittsburgh. Similar industry, similar setting (sans the rivers)...except Birmingham Metro is still gaining people. Birmingham city has a nice downtown, but seems to be rotting at the core from a population standpoint.

Not to worry, though, Atlanta proper was losing thousands of people from the 70s-90s...it has now bounced back big time. B-ham city leaders just need to find a way to stop the bleeding and grow back the inner city to a healthy 300k or so.[/quote]

Im afraid that is not gonna happen with the current leadership. Birmingham city needs a younger, more forward looking leadership. I do believe Bham city can reverse the current trend, but it remains to be seen if the people in Bham city and metro are willing to make it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City