Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 04:36 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,276 times

Advertisements

I think In certain parts of Atlanta feel very NE. Atlanta has Alot of Grit also
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 09:30 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,364 times
While not as northeastern-esque as DC or Baltimore, Atlanta has its moments.

Some pics. (these were taken on a Sunday morning so everything was empty downtown)

Deserted Atlanta! I love this because this location is rarely this empty. A rarity of a photo. Reminds me of the Walking Dead.

A big chess set in Woodruff Park

Stone reliefs at Five Points Marta station:

Old 03-18-2011, 10:30 PM

144 posts, read 270,532 times
I'm not too sure about it looking like the northeast, but you sure hear many northeastern accents in the northern Atlanta suburbs.

Drivers in Atlanta can be quite rude though.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:34 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times
no.

New Orleans and Miami look more northeastern compared to Atlanta...
Atlanta has too many single family detached homes and stripmalls within city limits.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:36 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
Simple question is Atlanta the most "Northeast looking" city in the south? I can't think of any other southern city or sunbelt city that resembles a northeast city as much as ATL. Things to consider:
  • Housing Stock
  • Downtown centrally located (though not exclusive to ATL)
  • Good collection of brick buildings (from what I have seen in pics)
  • Hilly and green with no palm trees
  • Heavy Rail transit
  • Downtown buildings with spires
I have always felt that from afar ATL resembles a more modern version of Philly, the one thing it lacks is proximity to a body of water and obviously many others however from an esthetic point of view what do you guys think?
Those are not Northeast city characteristics, A grid street pattern, Extensive heavy rail transit throughout the entire city, Rowhouses, Heavy foot traffic, Density, and a walkable downtown with no highway dividing it are what make up NE cities. Atlanta has none of these, and if it does its not on the scale of NE cities.

No knock on Atlanta its a great place, and King of the South

Old 03-18-2011, 11:56 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Rogue View Post
I'd say Miami before ATL.
No way. The only characteristic similar between Miami and the Northeast is density.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Not enough brick in Miami, imo. Atlanta has an industrial past, Miami doesn't. I think Miami's look is too unique to be compared to any region, really.
I agree. There really isn't any region South Florida can be compared to in terms of similarity. Believe me, I've tried to find comparisons, but I've only found small similarities in maybe a few different places.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
When Atlanta becomes more dense and urban it will reflect Philadelphia & Boston while Houston & Dallas will reflect Los Angeles. Atlanta's layout is completely different from Houston & Dallas's and is similar to a lot of cities in the Northeast.

Meaning when Atlanta decides to do a mass scale infill (which is probably right around the corner) and becomes incredibly dense and urban it will be a reflection of the Northeastern cities but with more temperate Southeastern weather. I've also noted that Atlanta compared to Los Angeles, Houston, Phoenix, & Dallas seems to go for more narrower streets like that of Philadelphia or Boston, while its true they are wider than Philadelphia's but they are narrower than Los Angeles or Houston's.

Mass transit is probably the undisputed best in the Sunbelt at this point, and continues to get better (and will get better). Even though Atlanta is located in the South and has a few Southern flairs here and there I think of it more so as an "East Coast" type of city, progressive, modern, cosmopolitan, and worldly with little clinging it to regional affiliations like a small town or so.

To people on this site, they may see Atlanta as nothing like the Northeast, give it time and decades and you'll see how shockingly similar Atlanta will look with infill and density. This is of course a great thing, its a citywide progression and Atlanta is a perfect example for Charlotte, Nashville, Memphis, Jacksonville, & Raleigh.
I agree with this. Atlanta does have a somewhat Northeastern look, with it's many brick structures. But at the same time, heavy brick is very characteristic of MOST piedmont cities. Especially in NC. I haven't seen all-brick High Schools until I moved here from Austin. Once you get to Jacksonville on South, the "Brick-Belt" pretty much ends. And I agree, Houston and Dallas lay-out seems very LA-esque. They will resemble LA more than the others once they get denser.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
no.

New Orleans and Miami look more northeastern compared to Atlanta...
Atlanta has too many single family detached homes and stripmalls within city limits.
So does Miami. What is it about Miami that looks Northeastern in any way shape or form? I don't see the comparison everyone makes.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:43 AM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,069,977 times
I cant believe you guys actually think that MIAMI of all places actually looks Northeastern.

^^^ Really guy's???? this looks Northeastern to you??? maybe Culturally, but not Architecturally.

Miami Neighborhood

New York Neighborhood (Brooklyn NY)

Philly (Broad Street)

Baltimore

Washington, DC

There's no resemblance with Miami if you ask me. On the other hand DC,NY Philly, and Baltimore look like they all could be within the same city, but just in different Neighborhoods. Miami would stick out like a soar thumb IMO.

Last edited by DMV; 03-19-2011 at 01:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City