Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the better downtown and inner neighborhoods?
Seattle 56 69.14%
Denver 25 30.86%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 08:44 PM

181 posts, read 302,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Seattle downtown is decent but not great. Lots of edgy and gritty areas there, and Denver beats Seattle there. Seattle has over 250, not 1000 restaurants in its downtown. A tie there. Dt. Seattle is just a little better than Denver's but as good as San Jose, IMO. Denver's vitality is more than Denver's. Downtowns: San Jose-Seattle-Portland-Denver-San Diego-San Francisco-Los Angeles. Call me crazy, but I've been to all those cities, and I may be the only one who knows who's the best.
downtownseattle.com lists about 700 "restaurants" (like I said, they're counting coffee shops and such too) in the Greater Downtown area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 10:13 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,249,261 times
Default Downtown Seattle

Old 04-09-2011, 01:18 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,173,740 times
Caphilsea, you never been to San Jose, let alone downtown. San Jose has the best big city downtown in the U.S. and among the most vibrant. Please visit SJ before you blog and spread your east coast ignorancy. There's already enough ignorancy from NY media.

MJ#1, yeah, if you include Queen Ann, Capitol Hill, First Hill and International District as well as Chinatown.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:19 AM

181 posts, read 302,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Caphilsea, you never been to San Jose, let alone downtown. San Jose has the best big city downtown in the U.S. and among the most vibrant. Please visit SJ before you blog and spread your east coast ignorancy. There's already enough ignorancy from NY media.

MJ#1, yeah, if you include Queen Ann, Capitol Hill, First Hill and International District as well as Chinatown.
No. They actually list over 700 excluding Queen Anne, Capitol Hill, and First Hill. That 700 is just from ID and Pioneer Square north to Denny Way, and west of I-5. If you include South Lake Union, "Uptown" (Lower Queen Anne), SoDo, First Hill, and Capitol Hill they count nearly 1000.

Where did you get your "250" from? Can you link to your source please. I think you just made it up. I wouldn't put it past you.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:53 AM

105 posts, read 212,221 times
Denver is way better. With more history and more things to do, personally.

Seattle is overrated. Soon people will come to know of that.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:13 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,972,227 times
My two favorite cities.

Denver is my home and I could list off so many great things about it, but when it comes down to it, I would move to my birthplace, Seattle, in a heartbeat if given the opportunity.

They're both very outdoors-y, and I'll give Seattle the edge in scenery. It has similar mountains of excellence nearby, but also has the waterfront.

Both of their downtowns are nice and vibrant, but Seattle's is much larger.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:17 PM

292 posts, read 753,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Denver is a much better sports city having all major league franchise (Seattle lost the NBA and never had the NHL) and Denver has way more passionate sports fans. Denver has a better climate with more abundant sunshine. Denver has a better bar scene, perhaps not in terms of numbers but it's just a much friendlier city and the bars there are more fun. As far as everything else go's from urban cohesiveness, downtown, skyline, dining, neighborhoods, transit I can only echo 90% of what everyone said, Seattle certainly comes out on top with not much contested.

Only you know what is best? huh? San Jose is dead last in terms of urban vibrancy, it's not even on the radar beyond its business stature. Denver also has edgy gritty areas near downtown, just take a ride up Colfax. So does LA, SF, and pretty much most every other city I've been to, so to say that Seattle has grit is very redundant.
I would not put San Jose dead last at all - it actually beats out Phoenix and most sunbelt cities in terms of vibrancy and walkability. The streets are narrow, theres a ton of storefronts, light rail through the heart of it, and generally a well-planned downtown with a good number of bars and restaurants. Durf is nuts for thinking it can compete with Seattle or Denver, but its much better than most people give it credit for.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:21 PM

292 posts, read 753,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ#1 View Post
It's pretty even. Though downtown Seattle has multiple nightlife areas, not just one (thought none of them impress individually). Seattle's downtown also has two proper dept. stores. Denver has none. OTOH, I'd rank LoDo, Denver over SoDo, Seattle any day.

Seattle's downtown core is severed from First Hill and Capitol Hill by a wide freeway, with fairly limited crossings (though closely spaced at the financial district). But downtown Denver has massive areas of surface parking, whereas downtown Seattle has most of it's parking lots in the NE corner. Overall, I'd give Seattle the edge.

I'd give Seattle the edge here. Denver has the Minneapolis problem of only one real shopping street of any significance.

I'll get to the other questions later.
I think Belltown, Pioneer Square and 10th/Pike vicinity in Capitol Hill all are pretty impressive nightlife areas. They all have tons of bars/pubs/clubs at the very least.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:36 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,827,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad-ly View Post
Denver is way better. With more history and more things to do, personally.

Seattle is overrated. Soon people will come to know of that.
Actually I think Seattle just keeps getting better. Disney cruise lines is locating a ship out of Seattle next year. Seattle will also open the new space gallery at the Museum of Flight And Space next year it hopes to have a space shuttle for it. Its the largest private none profit air and space museum in the world already. Thirty mins from Seattle in Tacoma the worlds largest car museum will open next year also . Seattle makes a great educational touirist spot also with the world class museums it has. Three new ones in and around downtown will open next year. The Science Ficion Hall Of Fame is located at Seattle center, also so is the E.M.P museum and the new Museum of Glass will open at the center also. Seattle Will Just keep getting better. Seattle downtown is going through a construction boom or starting one this year that is we have several new highrises and construction projects in the process.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:45 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,827,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ#1 View Post
It's pretty even. Though downtown Seattle has multiple nightlife areas, not just one (thought none of them impress individually). Seattle's downtown also has two proper dept. stores. Denver has none. OTOH, I'd rank LoDo, Denver over SoDo, Seattle any day.

HaHa so would I since SoDo is a warehouse area not a night club area though Seattle has several lively areas like Bell Town, Pioneer Square, And Capitol Hill in the Downtown Area.

Seattle's downtown core is severed from First Hill and Capitol Hill by a wide freeway, with fairly limited crossings (though closely spaced at the financial district). But downtown Denver has massive areas of surface parking, whereas downtown Seattle has most of it's parking lots in the NE corner. Overall, I'd give Seattle the edge.

I'd give Seattle the edge here. Denver has the Minneapolis problem of only one real shopping street of any significance.

I'll get to the other questions later.
Yeah hopefully when they open the capitol hill subway stop and the firsthill streetcar line transportation will be easyer then walking across the bridges across the freeway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City