Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 09:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times

Advertisements

To come up with our list of the smartest cities of the future, we took the 52 metropolitan areas with more than 1,000,000 population and ranked them by percentage gains in people with college educations compared with the population over 25 years of age between 2007 and 2009, using the latest data from the American Community Survey provided by demographer Wendell Cox.

"How to Lie with Statistics" 101. I'm not calling you a liar, there is a book by that name that I had to read when I took statistics.

Percent gain is used so cities with a lower percentage at base will appear to be "brainier".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 09:47 PM

205 posts, read 298,941 times
Very true. Many of those "big gainers" are small cities with low numbers of educated so they can add 50 new college grads and the percentage to jump up by 200%. And watch out NYC, Boston, or San Francisco!

Whereas a big city like NYC can 50,000 new grads but the percent increase will be nothing.

I guess the smaller town's growth is more "impressive". LOL

Old 04-01-2011, 10:32 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
BS.

1. no way DT Houston lost 4000 people overall and managed to come out 6000+ in the positives on your professionals. Pure BS. The population they are showing for DT Houston now is even less than the number of young professionals that the area is supposed to have grown by.

2. If they are going by 3 Mile radius around dtwn then out the window goes the premise of their argument (Educated 20- and 30-somethings are flocking to live downtown in the USA's largest cities ) because dtwn is really small in physical size and living 3 miles out is certainly not the dt life they are making it out to be. Cross the Bayou north of DT and you are in pastures. If indeed those young professionals did move there, they are living in Houston's original suburbs: Heights, Montrose, etc
Fair enough. Just pick what study you want to believe and believe it.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:05 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,970,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Fair enough. Just pick what study you want to believe and believe it.
I will, in combination with what I see with my eyes

Edit: even the census disagreed with itself listing dt houston as the second fastest growing core area while at the same time showing a loss of 29%

The dt area as grown in population by 200% since 1995.
There are dozens of new and converted residential places in and around downtown.
One park place opened a few months before the census and by then the 346 unit building was already 80% leased.

Not even the census believes their own numbers

Last edited by HtownLove; 04-03-2011 at 09:16 AM..

Old 04-03-2011, 11:30 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,877,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
Just as great in places like my hometown of Charlotte. The jump there is precisely why light-rail has succeeded there - high density in the close-in corridor that was very, very well planned. Many people have said that the sunbelt needs more of this as well; this data (and what it has led to in some cities, like Charlotte) should motivate other sunbelt cities.
If only the current political climate weren't so hostile to mass transit initiatives...but that's another subject.

Quote:
I'd also like to see some similar data for smaller cities around the country. I know of several smaller cities - Asheville and Charleston spring to mind - that were pretty much dead cities until urban pioneers rebuilt them from the ground up, so this obviously pertains to cities in the 50,000-100,000 population range as well, given how those cities have returned from near death, back into prosperity over roughly 40 years.
Well in Charleston's case, it wasn't really urban pioneers; it was mainly Mayor Joe Riley establishing public-private partnerships that revitalized downtown, starting with the Charleston Place hotel complex. He's had a very hands-on approach to transforming that city almost single-handedly. The guy is a legend.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:47 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,848,292 times
So, looking at raw numbers alone, the top 10 would be:

New York
Boston
Philadelphia
Chicago
Washington
Atlanta
Baltimore
Houston
Seattle
Los Angeles

Old 04-03-2011, 05:10 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,530,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
This is for the MSA in total not the core, but good metrics none-the-less, saw this thread a little while back
new orleans is so high in 07-08 b/c it lost a few 100k in 05-06... then people came back.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:17 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Well in Charleston's case, it wasn't really urban pioneers; it was mainly Mayor Joe Riley establishing public-private partnerships that revitalized downtown, starting with the Charleston Place hotel complex. He's had a very hands-on approach to transforming that city almost single-handedly. The guy is a legend.
I never realized how new all of the Downtown Charleston development was. When I moved to SC, it was doing pretty well. So much so, I decided that Charleston is my backup plan when I get priced out of CA. Unless of course it is too expensive for me.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:22 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,877,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I never realized how new all of the Downtown Charleston development was. When I moved to SC, it was doing pretty well. So much so, I decided that Charleston is my backup plan when I get priced out of CA. Unless of course it is too expensive for me.
Yeah, even a lot of the historic stuff has only been rehabbed within the last 40 years or so which is relatively recently given the age of the city. It's still doing well and it's really only the lower peninsula and upscale suburban areas that are pricey.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:11 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,608,182 times
Wow! Go St. Louis and Indianapolis for being the top two gainers based on percentage by quite a bit. Those numbers are really impressive. It's nice to see the Midwest on top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City