Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 09:43 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times

Advertisements

I have not had hoagies, soft pretzels or cheesesteaks anywhere in the country that compare to what is standard in Philadelphia. In fact, Philly was recently named "Sandwich City" for the Cheesesteaks, Hoagies and Roast Pork sandwiches and I really think a lot of it has to do with the rolls used.

Philly named ‘Sandwich City’ - Philly.com

Back to the topic

Chinese: San Francisco, NYC
Italian: Philadelphia, NYC, New Jersey
Seafood: Boston, Baltimore
Pizza: NYC
Mexican: Houston, Los Angeles
Cuban: Miami
Dominican: NYC and Philadelphia
Jamaican: Philadelphia
Polish/Eastern European: Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 12:02 PM

92 posts, read 155,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Jamaican: Philadelphia
Really? I do know that alot of Jamaicans ended up in Philly (a few of my friends from back home even) but does it really stand out as the Capital of Jamaican food?

The reason I ask is mostly out of curiosity, because I find that the majority of Jamaican restaurants in North America serve a dumbed down version of our cuisine for the most part.

For example any half decent Jamaican chef/cook can make a good Brown Stew Chicken or a decent Oxtail. But it takes real talent to make an exceptional Manish Water, Tripe&Bean, Cowfoot and Cow Cod Soup. Many of those items are expempt from most Jamaican menu's in the US and Canada. The only two cities I have found wide spread cooking like this is in South Florida (Lauderhill) and Brooklyn.

Dont even get me started on Jerk now, only a handful of places do it right and actually use Pimento Wood and Leaves, any place in Philly doing that? If so I am on the next plane.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:21 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forwardman View Post
Really? I do know that alot of Jamaicans ended up in Philly (a few of my friends from back home even) but does it really stand out as the Capital of Jamaican food?

The reason I ask is mostly out of curiosity, because I find that the majority of Jamaican restaurants in North America serve a dumbed down version of our cuisine for the most part.

For example any half decent Jamaican chef/cook can make a good Brown Stew Chicken or a decent Oxtail. But it takes real talent to make an exceptional Manish Water, Tripe&Bean, Cowfoot and Cow Cod Soup. Many of those items are expempt from most Jamaican menu's in the US and Canada. The only two cities I have found wide spread cooking like this is in South Florida (Lauderhill) and Brooklyn.

Dont even get me started on Jerk now, only a handful of places do it right and actually use Pimento Wood and Leaves, any place in Philly doing that? If so I am on the next plane.
I'm not sure how Philadelphia compares to Brooklyn or South Florida as I haven't spent much time in either. But Philadelphia has the largest Jamaican population in the country outside of New York City and there have been very few cities that I have visited that have as many Jamaican places as Philly. I lived in NYC for a few years but spent very little time in Brooklyn so BK could very well be the Jamaican food capital but Philly is definately up there.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:34 PM

92 posts, read 155,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I'm not sure how Philadelphia compares to Brooklyn or South Florida as I haven't spent much time in either. But Philadelphia has the largest Jamaican population in the country outside of New York City and there have been very few cities that I have visited that have as many Jamaican places as Philly. I lived in NYC for a few years but spent very little time in Brooklyn so BK could very well be the Jamaican food capital but Philly is definately up there.
Sounds good, I definitely wasn't doubting your analysis, but was more curious as to the scene there because for the most part I have been disappointed with the majority of Jamaican restaurants in the US and Canada.

Quantity doesn't equal quality in most cases though, I used to live on Eglinton Ave in Toronto and there is a Jamaican restaurant on every corner and 99.9% of them were mediocre to terrible.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:37 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,393,656 times
I'd like to vote my own city (Detroit) for middle eastern, soul food and pizza, italian to an extent, diners

Old 04-05-2011, 03:48 PM

159 posts, read 279,812 times
Half smoke = DC (The only place that has them)
Ethiopian= DC
El Salvadoran = DC

Last edited by Lil Tunechi; 04-05-2011 at 03:58 PM..

Old 04-05-2011, 03:50 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
I'd like to vote my own city (Detroit) for middle eastern, soul food and pizza, italian to an extent, diners
Hey DL - want to ship me some of that incredible Greek food you got goin' on?

Old 04-06-2011, 10:51 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Didn't see Portuguese in the list:

Newark, NJ.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:20 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,393,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Hey DL - want to ship me some of that incredible Greek food you got goin' on?
how did I forget Greek! Lol if there was way

Old 04-06-2011, 03:32 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Didn't see Portuguese in the list:

Newark, NJ.
Providence, RI, Fall River, New Bedford, and Gloucester, MA all have good Portuguese and more specifically Azorean food. Also lots of Brazilians in many cities throughout Mass. I've Newark has a good Brazilian food. Churrasco Steak houses are awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City