Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 03:50 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times

Advertisements

Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 10:15 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,776,713 times
Richmond Va would work well for you. Probably also research triangle NC

Old 04-14-2011, 07:30 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
He would love to go back to PA....heck no! I need my sunshine.
Quote:
I lived in CA for a year when I was younger. Although I like it there, I'm trying to stick to the east coast because of family.
Quote:
Richmond is a little too north for me.
Don't like PA. Don't Like CA. Don't like Richmond. Remind me what this thread is about

Quote:
I thought this would be an interesting thread to start.
So did I. If so, let the suggestions roll. If not, just read the NC thread and you'll learn more.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:16 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,531 times
Think long, think strong about the Carolinas......eek!!!!! This is coming from someone trying to relocate away from that area.....But then again.. you might like the area....."different strokes for different folks.....but as someone who just turned 40.....I would look west...such as places like Alburquerque/Denver/Phoenix/Dallas. Again..just an opinion. :0

Old 04-14-2011, 07:03 PM

523 posts, read 654,584 times
I think Roanoke, Va. would be a city that fits many of your suggestions. It's certainly not a large city by any means, but it's a nice, laid back city nestled in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. And even though it's not that large, if you don't want to live right in the city, there's plenty of communities (or suburbs) around it that are very nice.

The city itself has many festivals throughout the year, especially during the summer. There's a pretty good music scene here, not as much as in larger cities, but not bad. A lot of the downtown eateries host bands at night. There's a lot of restaurants here, especially locally owned. You'll find plenty to eat downtown if you are not looking for chain restaurants. And once out of downtown, there's plenty of chains.

The Roanoke Valley has plenty of recreational opportunities. Roanoke is located very close to the Blue Ridge Parkway, which has many campgrounds along it. There are many, many hiking trails and walkways in the area. There's also a mountain that is only minutes away from downtown that has a small zoo on top, plus the famous 'Roanoke Star'. For fishing, the most popular spot is the Smith Mountain Lake, which is about 30-45 minutes away. The city is also home to a very large Hospital complex, Carilion.

There are a couple cons though off your list. Roanoke is located in the western part of the state, so it is more like 4-5 hours to the closet beach. Also, there are no pro sports teams near Roanoke, although Virginia Tech, which is close by, has many great college sport programs. And Salem, a city next door to Roanoke, is home to the Salem Red Sox (a minor league baseball team)

You were already recommended Richmond I see, but you said it was a little too far north, so this could also possibly be a problem, although Roanoke is located a tad farther south. Overall, we have four distinct seasons here, with the summer usually not obsessively hot, and the winter not obsessively cold or snowy. Also the cost of living here is low compared to many other cities.

If you need any more information feel free to message me. Most of this information and more you can see for yourself when you check out citydata's Roanoke profile. Hope this helps.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:06 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,709,999 times
Atlanta............

Old 06-02-2017, 12:49 PM

362 posts, read 497,554 times
For the area you're looking at, look at these places...then cross em off as you go:

-Washington, DC/Northern Virginia suburbs
-Charlottesville, VA
-Roanoke, VA
-Raleigh/Durham, NC
-Greensboro/Winston-Salem, NC
-Charlotte, NC
-Asheville, NC
-Knoxville, TN
-Chattanooga, TN
-Greenville/Spartanburg, SC
-Atlanta, GA

But mainly, I think it's either gonna be Virginia or North Carolina for you.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:20 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxr203 View Post
For the area you're looking at, look at these places...then cross em off as you go:

-Washington, DC/Northern Virginia suburbs
-Charlottesville, VA
-Roanoke, VA
-Raleigh/Durham, NC
-Greensboro/Winston-Salem, NC
-Charlotte, NC
-Asheville, NC
-Knoxville, TN
-Chattanooga, TN
-Greenville/Spartanburg, SC
-Atlanta, GA

But mainly, I think it's either gonna be Virginia or North Carolina for you.
You realize that you are replying to a thread that was last updated 6+ years ago, right?

Old 06-02-2017, 01:56 PM

362 posts, read 497,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
You realize that you are replying to a thread that was last updated 6+ years ago, right?
No...actually I didn't, until now. Oh well. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City