Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 10:20 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,601,875 times

Advertisements

I am currently a 21-year-old male Shreveport Certified Pharmacy Tech. I am working on finishing my final year of my bachelors degree so I can start my masters of social work so I can eventually become a lcsw and eventually--hopefully--get a direct commission into the navy as a clinical social worker so I can see the world. I thought about enlisting after I finished my BA in general studies (long story that makes me upset to tell why I ended up in general studies, so I won't), but even if they let me do my masters while I was in, I still wouldn't be able to get my lcsw until I got out, thus I figure I'm better off just getting my school out of the way and saving navy for when I'm 28 and through meeting all the requirements for my dream job. I've wondered, though, if I should maybe get my lcsw in Texas as Texas seems like a better, more populated state to practice therapy in. If I was a therapist during the week and kept pharmacy tech part time on the weekends, could I afford a decent living as a single man in houston plus hiring on a personal trainer? What is dating like over in houston vs how it is in shreveport? Things to do? Chances to practice therapy? What about dating? Most people in shreveport seem way overly religious? Is Houston less religious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 07:08 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,088,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I am currently a 21-year-old male Shreveport Certified Pharmacy Tech. I am working on finishing my final year of my bachelors degree so I can start my masters of social work so I can eventually become a lcsw and eventually--hopefully--get a direct commission into the navy as a clinical social worker so I can see the world. I thought about enlisting after I finished my BA in general studies (long story that makes me upset to tell why I ended up in general studies, so I won't), but even if they let me do my masters while I was in, I still wouldn't be able to get my lcsw until I got out, thus I figure I'm better off just getting my school out of the way and saving navy for when I'm 28 and through meeting all the requirements for my dream job. I've wondered, though, if I should maybe get my lcsw in Texas as Texas seems like a better, more populated state to practice therapy in. If I was a therapist during the week and kept pharmacy tech part time on the weekends, could I afford a decent living as a single man in houston plus hiring on a personal trainer? What is dating like over in houston vs how it is in shreveport? Things to do? Chances to practice therapy? What about dating? Most people in shreveport seem way overly religious? Is Houston less religious?
Bro this is a no-brainer...really. You may or may not remember previous discussions of ours, but I was born in Shreveport and raised in that area. Houston is infinitely better than Shreveport in every imaginable way. Houston(city proper) is way less religious, though its suburbs are on par with Shreveport and other small towns in the South. Economy and ethnic diversity, light years ahead of Shreveport. Dating scene I would imagine has to be better in Houston for a young non-religious bachelor...I wouldn't know first hand. Most importantly, your salary will be higher in Houston...that paired with the affordability of that area makes Houston the clear choice.

Get your LCSW in Houston. Work in Houston. Live in Houston. Enjoy life.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:17 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
Leave Shreveport and never look back. Dallas too.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:45 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,220,760 times
Head west, man (Well southwest in your case). Houston is an awesome choice. And a much larger city with far more opportunity.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:02 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Easy decision here. Houston and it isn't close.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:27 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,601,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Bro this is a no-brainer...really. You may or may not remember previous discussions of ours, but I was born in Shreveport and raised in that area. Houston is infinitely better than Shreveport in every imaginable way. Houston(city proper) is way less religious, though its suburbs are on par with Shreveport and other small towns in the South. Economy and ethnic diversity, light years ahead of Shreveport. Dating scene I would imagine has to be better in Houston for a young non-religious bachelor...I wouldn't know first hand. Most importantly, your salary will be higher in Houston...that paired with the affordability of that area makes Houston the clear choice.

Get your LCSW in Houston. Work in Houston. Live in Houston. Enjoy life.
What about Houston vs San Antonio?

Old 07-24-2017, 03:31 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,088,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
What about Houston vs San Antonio?
Much better comparison. For what you're looking for I'd still say Houston. I personally prefer San Antonio's topography and natural assets(Houston is flat, while SA is hilly and gorgeous), as well as its historic significance. But for what you're looking for, Houston just fits slightly better. Houston still has the better economy and is still more ethnically diverse, which would reflect in the dating pool.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:51 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,795,576 times
All things considered, Greater Houston might be the best place to live in the US right now. No brainer man.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:50 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,392,560 times
I would choose Houston over Shreveport.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:35 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Houston......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City