Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 04:50 PM

45 posts, read 267,863 times

Advertisements

I've always been a little fascinated about the idea that there are these incredibly secluded towns in the hills of Tennessee, Kentucky, and West Virginia. Towns where people are possibly inbred and choose to keep to themselves and out of mainstream America. Trust me- i'm not making fun of any of these states, simply using the state names that most commonly come up when discussing this matter.

Are there people who live near places like this where it's best not to get too deep into the woods because of the people who live there? Anybody have some good stories to tell? Has my mind been warped by movies such as Deliverance and Wrong Turn?

Just wondering.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:55 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,042 times
Have you ever been to North Platte Nebraska.Its a little city of 20,000 in the middle of nowhere,and alot of it is really hick.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:57 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Gainesville, Missouri. Truly the definition of HICK.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:01 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Check out the following thread:
Rebel Flags, Gun Racks, Primer-Painted Camaros

Old 07-30-2007, 06:54 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,978,530 times
Decauterville, TN, Camden, TN, east TN in general

Old 07-30-2007, 10:13 PM

832 posts, read 3,852,602 times
Centerville California. On the way to Kings Canyon.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:39 PM

85 posts, read 627,889 times
On an unfortunate bus trip from Detroit to New York I had to stop in...

BARKEYVILLE, PENNSYLVANIA
population: 223

The scariest place...ever.

You can hear the Twilight Zone music playing softly in the distance.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:12 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Gainesville, Missouri. Truly the definition of HICK.
Agreed there...Gainesville, Missouri is practically on the border of Northern Arkansas. There are TONS of Hillbilly towns in Northern Arkansas. Probably the most scary hillbilly town I've ever been to would have to be Berea, KY....I found myself surrounded on all sides by rednecks with guns in old Chevy pick-up trucks (shivers)...I ate at the Cracker Barrel then hightailed my ass out of there

Old 07-31-2007, 02:43 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,207 times
Talking Wow... ha ha ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by elainebenes View Post
I've always been a little fascinated about the idea that there are these incredibly secluded towns in the hills of Tennessee, Kentucky, and West Virginia. Towns where people are possibly inbred and choose to keep to themselves and out of mainstream America. Trust me- i'm not making fun of any of these states, simply using the state names that most commonly come up when discussing this matter.

Are there people who live near places like this where it's best not to get too deep into the woods because of the people who live there? Anybody have some good stories to tell? Has my mind been warped by movies such as Deliverance and Wrong Turn?

Just wondering.
You really really need to get out more. I'm pretty sure, not 100% but close that these places you speak of where people are inbred, do not exist anywhere in America. Maybe in like villages in the Amazon, but not in any industrialized nation. Movies like Texas Chainsaw Masacre, Hills Have Eyes, Wrong Turn, The Deliverance are for entertainment purposes only. People may choose to stay out of mainstream America because they've worked in fast paced cities their whole lives and want to retire in peace and quiet where life is slower. ha ha

Old 07-31-2007, 04:08 AM

396 posts, read 1,275,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
You really really need to get out more. I'm pretty sure, not 100% but close that these places you speak of where people are inbred, do not exist anywhere in America. Maybe in like villages in the Amazon, but not in any industrialized nation. Movies like Texas Chainsaw Masacre, Hills Have Eyes, Wrong Turn, The Deliverance are for entertainment purposes only. People may choose to stay out of mainstream America because they've worked in fast paced cities their whole lives and want to retire in peace and quiet where life is slower. ha ha
There's Amish towns in Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania that are almost completely removed from society. And then inbreeding goes on among the Fumdamentalist LDS communities that practice polygamy, especially in Hildale, Utah and Colorado City, Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City