Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 12:11 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,203 times

Advertisements

Most European cities have extensive subways, so I guess that would make New York and Boston European, since they have the most extensive subway systems in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 08:59 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Lol. DC was a swamp when Philadelphia was the second largest city in the British Empire outside the UK. Philly was larger than Boston in the colonial era. If you include Boston, then you must include Philadelphia.
While I agree that Philadephia should be considered, I have to point out one factual thing. DC was never a swamp. There are areas that were prone to flooding by the rivers and creeks (Potomac, Anacostia, Rock Clay, Tiber). But the core of the Federal City was a grassland with small forests and tobacco farms.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:02 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Most European cities have extensive subways, so I guess that would make New York and Boston European, since they have the most extensive subway systems in the US.
A lot of European cities actually have quite poor subway systems. In Italy, only Rome and Milan have much of a subway system and even Rome's is not great.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:54 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,427,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
A lot of European cities actually have quite poor subway systems. In Italy, only Rome and Milan have much of a subway system and even Rome's is not great.
Rome has a lot of problems expanding its subway network, since Rome is basically a huge underground museum, so it's not the best example. Even so, you have an extensive bus and streetcat network you can use without risking social death.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Now what is that supposed to mean?
I think Seattle feels unmistakeably American - and I'm not saying that as a bad thing...

Old 06-14-2013, 01:00 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHA188 View Post
I'm wanting to move to a European city like London, Paris or Madrid but find it ridiculously hard to get a work sponsor... so I figured it would be smarter to stay here in the U.S. but I was wondering where would be the most European like city here?

I know none are completely like Europe but my criteria is like that combination of beautiful architecture, relaxed atmosphere where you don't feel hostility, variety of museums and parks, polite people or at least people who mind their business, cultural diversity to some degree, and if possible just that general dreamy feeling lol.
Here in the States, the most European cities IMO are Boston, Washington D.C. (I live in the metro area), Philadelphia, San Francisco, Charleston, and maybe Baltimore.

I've only been to Baltimore and D.C. out of these mentioned cities, but (and I'm assuming here, you might want to get more accurate answers from other C-D posters) I would say in regards to your criteria:

All six cities have some of the most beautiful architecture in the entire country, so you're good in that department.

San Francisco and Charleston might have the most relaxed atmosphere but I've heard that San Fran has a growing pretentious yuppie vibe and Charleston has a bit of an "old-money" mentality in some ways.

In regards to variety in parks and museums, D.C. has all the other five cities on lockdown when it comes to museums, but the other cities' museum offerings aren't that bad either, especially Philly. All of them have nice parks but Philly and San Fran might have the best ones. Philadelphia has the massive Fairmount Park, Rittenhouse Square, Ben Franklin Parkway, Franklin Square, etc. San Francisco has the giant Golden Gate Park (Bigger than Central Park in Manhattan I believe), Alamo Square, Buena Vista Park, Grand View Park, etc. Plus you're not too far from wine country in nearby Napa Valley if you're ever interested in making the trek

In terms of cultural diversity, all six cities offer that. San Francisco is a treasure trove of Asian culture, past Bohemianism, and old school hippie culture. Boston has a strong Irish and Italian culture with a healthy dose of Caribbean culture thrown into the mix as well. Philadelphia has a highly visible street art/mural scene, strong local African American culture, and a heavy presence of Americana culture. Philly also has a visible and enduring Italian cultural presence as well. Washington D.C. is an interesting blend between Northern U.S. and Southern U.S. influences with a hint of European-ness added into the fray. It has a vibrant local African American culture as well as a sizeable population of internationals due to all of the foreign embassies, global organizations, and prestigious university campuses that dot all across the city. And of course, there's always the ever-present local/national/international political culture. We're the nation's capital, what more can I say lol Baltimore has a vibrant local African American and European culture as well as an ever-present maritime culture/history. And similar to D.C., Baltimore is also a mixture of Northern and Southern influences. IMO, I think it's a Mid-Atlantic thing in general. And finally, Charleston is of course strong in its Southern cultural offerings and has a strong local African American cultural presence as well.

As far as the "dreamy feeling" factor is concerned, I would say that the one city that might offer that out of all these six is probably San Francisco. But, I think this question might be the most subjective one, so YMMV. But either, I hope what I just said will help you in your decision-making Have fun and Happy Fridays!!

Old 06-14-2013, 01:05 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
In terms of cultural diversity, all six cities offer that. San Francisco is a treasure trove of Asian culture, past Bohemianism, and old school hippie culture. Boston has a strong Irish and Italian culture with a healthy dose of Caribbean culture thrown into the mix as well. Philadelphia has a highly visible street art/mural scene, strong local African American culture, and a heavy presence of Americana culture. Philly also has a visible and enduring Italian cultural presence as well. Washington D.C. is an interesting blend between Northern U.S. and Southern U.S. influences with a hint of European-ness added into the fray. It has a vibrant local African American culture as well as a sizeable population of internationals due to all of the foreign embassies, global organizations, and prestigious university campuses that dot all across the city. And of course, there's always the ever-present local/national/international political culture. We're the nation's capital, what more can I say lol Baltimore has a vibrant local African American and European culture as well as an ever-present maritime culture/history. And similar to D.C., Baltimore is also a mixture of Northern and Southern influences. IMO, I think it's a Mid-Atlantic thing in general. And finally, Charleston is of course strong in its Southern cultural offerings and has a strong local African American cultural presence as well.
That's all good, though I don't see how a lot of that makes any of those cities feel European... Most European cities aren't really all that diverse outside of places like London or Paris. Cities like Rome or Madrid for example would be the least diverse cities in the entire US... African-American and Southern culture is distinctly American--there's no equivalant in most of Europe.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:54 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
That's all good, though I don't see how a lot of that makes any of those cities feel European... Most European cities aren't really all that diverse outside of places like London or Paris. Cities like Rome or Madrid for example would be the least diverse cities in the entire US... African-American and Southern culture is distinctly American--there's no equivalant in most of Europe.
True. OP should probably find the most European cultural atmosphere in Boston out of all of the cities on my list due to its large Irish, Italian, and English influences and cultures. It's American but I would probably have to pinch myself to make sure I actually am still in the States whenever I visit Boston to make sure I didn't mistakenly popped up somewhere in Europe lol

And I thought OP was just being general about cultural diversity, didn't think twice about they wanted to keep it specifically European. Whoops.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:39 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Italy has a similar dynamic with it's North and south, the North was more urban and had more contact with other countries (Look at it's location) and ws richer. the South was poorer, rural, and looked down upon by northerners. Also in the mid-late 1800s the North conquered the south.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
That's all good, though I don't see how a lot of that makes any of those cities feel European... Most European cities aren't really all that diverse outside of places like London or Paris. Cities like Rome or Madrid for example would be the least diverse cities in the entire US.
But also has a lot to do with urban flight. City populations are misleadingly diverse because that's where the immigrants tend to move in and where the blacks tended to stay, but the suburbs are much whiter as a general rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City