Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city in the U.S. has the best Korea Town?
Los Angeles Korea Town 43 53.09%
Atlanta Korea Town 12 14.81%
Chicago Korea Town 3 3.70%
Seattle Korea Town 3 3.70%
Dallas Korea Town 3 3.70%
Houston Korea Town 4 4.94%
New York/New Jersey Bergen County 8 9.88%
Maryland / DC Korea Town 1 1.23%
Annadale, Virginia 4 4.94%
Aurora, Colorado 0 0%
Oakland, California 0 0%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 12:48 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp80 View Post
The Koreatown is dense and compact in NY. The LA version is too spread out for my taste. Lol at Atlanta having eight votes because their koreatown is just a couple strip malls.
What are you talking about? Koreatown here is THE of the densest neighborhood in Los Angeles at 42,611 ppsm. The neighborhood that Koreatown is starting to flow into (Westlake) is the 2nd most densest neighborhoods in Los Angeles.

Koreatown Profile - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times
Population Density Ranking - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

Wilshire, Vermont, Normandie, and Western always have a lot of pedestrian traffic..ALL THE TIME. One of my best friends lives in the area. I'll take some pictures the next time I'm there.

There's a subway line (the short purple line) that connects K-Town to DTLA and the rest of the City of Los Angeles.

And its extremely walkable:
Walk Score of Koreatown Los Angeles

Koreatown can be called a lot of things: spread out is not one of them.

Last edited by Lifeshadower; 05-13-2011 at 01:05 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 02:24 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
If I may touch on something a bit...touchy. Regarding the waning of Korean immigration to the US, what happens in the event that North Korea destabilizes and/or collapses? I would assume there will be another wave of people more desperate than ever before to come to the US, and the US will probably accept a pretty significant number of them.
It would be in most serious sense of the word, a disaster. Not just for North Korea, but South Korea too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Would they integrate into existing Korean communities? How would the current Korean Americans feel about this?
Maybe, maybe not. The older generations may fit in fine, but the newer generations have been brainwashed since birth that South Koreans (and everyone else for that matter) are evil and would kill them the second they let their guard down. I'm sure a lot of people would probably stop believing such things the minute they integrate back into society at large, some may not.

There are a lot unknowns about what happen to Korean culture North and South and around the rest of the world once the autocratic regime in North Korea finally falls. The only thing we can definitely be sure about is that it won't be pretty and it is likely a lot of people will die.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:29 PM

611 posts, read 1,600,204 times
It would have to be a slow process in some way or another for sure. It cant be anything like the berlin wall where both societies integrate from the get go. That would be pure pandemonium/mayhem.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:30 PM

133 posts, read 384,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Pbergen,

You mentioned that you think that Atlanta's Korean population will surpass the Chicago's Korean population within this decade.

I would like to point out that Atlanta's Korean population will surpass DC/NOVA's Korean population before Chicago is taken out.

DC/NOVA's K-Town presence may have been dominate over Atlanta in the past 20 years, but this will change in the next 10 years where Koreans living in the U.S. will see the new emerging Atlanta as the New LA of the South. I assure you. On a percentage basis, Atlanta will continue to rank #1 in terms of Korean population growth.
You really are delusional,what else can I say?Do you even know what are you talking about?Obviously not since on your ridiculous poll same parts of one metro are listed separately,but just so you know Atlanta is not anywhere close to the DC area in number of Koreans:
Powered by Google Docs
DC metro has the third largest Korean population in USA and Atlanta is not close at all.But according to you Atlanta might even pass Korea in number of Koreans soon
Would you explain why did you turn this into another Atlanta thread?You created this thread asking about the best Koreatown in US and what happened?
Posters:"LA has the best Koreatown"
MrPanda:"Ok so LA is the best,but Atlanta is number 2"
Posters:"No Atlanta is not even number 2"
MrPanda:"Ok maybe NYC is #2,but Atlanta is number 3"
Well there is no second best,or third best or... etc. there's only one best and that's THE BEST.End of thread.For all your bragging about Atlanta's "magnificent" Koreatown all you can show is some lame photo of a tiny,little,insignificant strip mall Where I live here in MD there are strip malls like that all over the place,I had no idea this is what you define as Koreatown.MD alone has more Koreans than Georgia,Alabama and South Carolina combined:
National Association of Korean Americans - Resources
Also I have no idea how you estimated there are over 50,000 "illegal" or "undocumented" Koreans in Atlanta,but if I were you I wouldn't be making public announcements on internet considering the tough immigration laws in Georgia and also the way some Georgians feel about the fast-growing Korean community:
Korean church in Suwanee vandalized | AccessNorthGa

Old 05-13-2011, 02:35 PM

133 posts, read 384,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightscape View Post
Has this become another Atlanta VS Everyone derailment thread? sigh.....
Unfortunately it did thanks to the OP

Old 05-13-2011, 02:37 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,690,750 times
Garden Grove California?
Olney, Philadelphia Pa?

Old 05-13-2011, 06:01 PM

657 posts, read 1,504,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Pbergen,

You mentioned that you think that Atlanta's Korean population will surpass the Chicago's Korean population within this decade.

I would like to point out that Atlanta's Korean population will surpass DC/NOVA's Korean population before Chicago is taken out.

DC/NOVA's K-Town presence may have been dominate over Atlanta in the past 20 years, but this will change in the next 10 years where Koreans living in the U.S. will see the new emerging Atlanta as the New LA of the South. I assure you. On a percentage basis, Atlanta will continue to rank #1 in terms of Korean population growth.
Funny, you misspell "dominant" as "dominate" just like some other Atlanta poster I know...

Old 05-13-2011, 06:21 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I'm telling you. Cheaper cost of living a huge factor in why so many people moved to Atlanta. I'm sure a big chunk of those people didn't think growing up "woo Atlanta" thats where I want to grow old. It's a financial decision. Do you own one of those homes with a yard in that urban city of yours? I don't have a yard but I can walk to a park and then go a little further one way to watch the waves crash on the shores or look over the downtown skyline from a hill... does that count?
Yeh until a hurricane threatens and you are stuck for 6hrs on the highway not even a mile out of the city limits.
How many people under 30 do you know own homes on the beach that are not trust fund babies.

In AtlantaI know many people in there 20's living in a condo high rise in Midtown in with a great view of downtown in the center of a lot of clubs.

Most of my Korean friends that young are living in the burbs.They get married earlier too so it seems.
Older people go to places like California and Florida because they can afford it.Young people go to Atlanta because it offers afford ability with amenities for youthful lifestyles.Atlanta is one of the cities with the youngest average age.
You gotta get out more.Having an ocean does not equate to better living.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
It didn't become one, but it was SET UP to be one. MrPanda is a known troll who is trying to convince himself and the rest of us (and probably his very unhappy family) that his move from Chicago to Atlanta will be beneficial. There are dozens and dozens of threads about how "Korean" Atlanta is becoming when all they really have is another typical Atlanta strip mall with Korean words on the outside.

He claims to be Korean-American, but I suspect that he's just one of the usual Atlanta boosters under a different screen-name trying to give the IMPRESSION that Atlanta is more "diverse" instead of the usual perception it holds as a bastion of rednecks vs thugs.

Notice the two separate choices for DC and Northern Virginia in an attempt to split the vote.

So yes, it's another attempt by childish Atlanta posters who are setting themselves up for another big FAIL.
A known troll?YOU are saying that!!!!LMAOF..You arfe so delusional dude.ANd determined!!!That you are!!

I cannot beieve you even went so far as questioning someones ethnicty and nationality!! Who are you?

Old 05-13-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acmilan View Post
You really are delusional,what else can I say?Do you even know what are you talking about?Obviously not since on your ridiculous poll same parts of one metro are listed separately,but just so you know Atlanta is not anywhere close to the DC area in number of Koreans: