Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 12:45 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times

Advertisements

I like when people think EVERYONE in SF is gay. It's the first thing that comes out of many mouths when the city is mentioned. There's a large gay community there, but it's nowhere NEAR being a majority or anything like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 01:22 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,922 times
NYC - I expected rude, surly people. What I found were some extremely nice and helpful people.
OKC - I thought it was dry, dusty and backward. I cried when DH said he wanted to accept a position with a company here. What I found was very different. It is a very green, somewhat hilly (at least in certain parts of town) nice, modern city.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:58 PM

408 posts, read 580,638 times
Phoenix - people thinking its HOT 10 of the 12 months a year lol. It really makes me laugh when the low is 25 and the high 50 people are caught of guard here in January.
No distinct neighborhoods all sprawl ? Wrong there are tons of historic and well populated areas close to downtown that are walkable and near good public transportation. Its not all stucco homes and sprawl.

Milwaukee- many people always ask is there blacks in Wisconsin? lol I think its funny everyone always ask me what is there and is it backwards. Far from the truth, its a great city with a high black population and right on the lake is great in the summer far from the farm/dairlyland image it receives.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:14 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Albuquerque: Just another dusty desert outpost city like El Paso/Juarez full of crackheads, heavy drug trade, gangs, and divey motels - As seen on COPS.
Truth: the riff raff is there but does not dominate the city. Albuquerque is a highly cultured city with many federal employees with PHD's offering many beautiful and attractive neighborhoods and feels safe around most of the city, stunning setting by the Rio Grande and Sandia Moutains, very historical, interesting architecture, lots of artistry, excellent food, and a very eclectic and funky college town.

Boston: The most annoying and abrasive accent imaginable: If one went around Boston and randomly surveyed our accents you'll find most of us don't talk like Kennedy's. It's mostly older generation and still exists but in way more subtle tones than the movies filmed here would have you believe.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-05-2011 at 02:23 PM..

Old 06-05-2011, 02:33 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,236,821 times
I was taken aback by all the mosquitoes and humidity in Anchorage in mid-March. The degree of ethnic diversity was another surprise.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I like when people think EVERYONE in SF is gay. It's the first thing that comes out of many mouths when the city is mentioned. There's a large gay community there, but it's nowhere NEAR being a majority or anything like that.
Gay media calls Minnaepolis the gayest city in America. Not sure I buy that.

Gayest city? Magazine says it's Minneapolis | StarTribune.com

http://www.advocate.com/Print_Issue/...February_2011/

Old 06-05-2011, 02:50 PM

124 posts, read 174,596 times
Dallas -

Myth: Nice, friendly, live, let live kind of place where everything is done on a big scale. Southern hospitality. Considered one of the designated future destinations.

Truth: Surly, RUDE, CONFORMITY, where nothing is done bigger in Texas, absolutely nothing, they believe their own hype and commercials to lure people here. One float Madi gra, illusion City,

Vegas: Good food, fun, fun, fun. Customer driven.

Truth: Terrible food, expensive, expensive, expensive. Rude locals; clerk adamantly argued with customer defending bait and switch pricing of trinkets, local raised her dress and showed her butt to all the customers in the hamburger joint. Funny though.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsoflov1232 View Post
Dallas -

Myth: Nice, friendly, live, let live kind of place where everything is done on a big scale. Southern hospitality. Considered one of the designated future destinations.

Truth: Surly, RUDE, CONFORMITY, where nothing is done bigger in Texas, absolutely nothing, they believe their own hype and commercials to lure people here. One float Madi gra, illusion City,

Vegas: Good food, fun, fun, fun. Customer driven.

Truth: Terrible food, expensive, expensive, expensive. Rude locals; clerk adamantly argued with customer defending bait and switch pricing of trinkets, local raised her dress and showed her butt to all the customers in the hamburger joint. Funny though.
and then there are some that have their own insular worlds, geography being irrelevant. Welcome to the dark side where the glass is always half empty.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-05-2011 at 03:18 PM..

Old 06-05-2011, 03:23 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,306,196 times
Detroit, America's most missunderstood and underrated city.

Last edited by JMT; 06-05-2011 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: Removed pics for copyright violations.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:37 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiWonder13 View Post
Phoenix - people thinking its HOT 10 of the 12 months a year lol. It really makes me laugh when the low is 25 and the high 50 people are caught of guard here in January.
No distinct neighborhoods all sprawl ? Wrong there are tons of historic and well populated areas close to downtown that are walkable and near good public transportation. Its not all stucco homes and sprawl.

Milwaukee- many people always ask is there blacks in Wisconsin? lol I think its funny everyone always ask me what is there and is it backwards. Far from the truth, its a great city with a high black population and right on the lake is great in the summer far from the farm/dairlyland image it receives.

I'm also surprised to hear that about WI / Milwaukee, esp. Milwaukee, which is very very black and frankly dangerous in some parts (I'm not trying to relate the two, but people often think of WI as "lilly white").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City