Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 05:08 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,147 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am looking to move. I have friends in both cities. I'm from a small town in New England, single and a recent college grad (Business Technology and Management). As of right now, I drive 100 miles a day (R/T) for a 4 hr shift at pretty much min. wage. I am looking for a cheap place to live, warm weather (ok Dallas wins that one), safe area where I can meet new (and friendly!) people, listen to live music, walking parks, swimming and other events. I'm looking for a job in aviation but am willing to take an office job.

I feel that I could network easier in Cleveland through my friends there, Cleveland is closer to home although I lived there a few years ago and didn't like it at all. I guess I lived in the ghetto and plan on living in the "nicer area of town" this time around if I do go for Cleveland. My friends in Cleveland are willing to help me network and have connections Dallas is bigger, safer (can you confirm?), and has better weather. My friends there are more "good luck, hope you can come down" sorta mentality.
Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 05:11 PM

326 posts, read 871,935 times
Based on those criteria, Dallas. Though Cleveland is nice too.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:36 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
What is your idea of better weather? Cleveland has attrocious winters, but if you're a New Englander you might be able to handle it. If you are seeking a warmer climate then obviously Dallas. However Dallas does have 3-4 months of inferno heat during the summer and there are no decent beaches nearby. Your options are AC or the pool. I guess there are lakes there but they leave something to be desired. Dallas is a very modern and contemporary city and has a lot of beautiful neighborhoods. Its downtown is a sleeper though. Many people end up in Dallas to jumpstart a career. I'd heard a few success stories from there from friends who have lived there. It's an easy city to live in modern comfort. I'm willing to bet you'd probably get a higher income in Dallas as well.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:28 PM

869 posts, read 1,278,118 times
From living in many states, my general opinion is "it's the people that make the place." Don't under estimate having those friends in Cleveland.
Also, being able to drive back to New England may also be another mental benefit.

Dallas is much bigger and has much better weather (although, it can get HOT HOT HOT in the summer months!). Cleveland has snowy winters, but also has four seasons...which I personally cannot live without. Both cities have very safe areas.

Cleveland recently can't hire enough quality people at the moment:

1) http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-...r-job-openings
2) http://www.crainscleveland.com/artic...GS03/110609902

Personally, I say Cleveland.

Last edited by usaf_1832; 06-08-2011 at 09:46 PM..

Old 06-09-2011, 12:51 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
It's the people that matter most...if your Cleveland friends will help you network, then you will find a much easier time coming here than if you went to Dallas and had to do it on your own...you can definitely avoid the bad areas here and find good safer walkable neighborhoods to live in.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:21 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,221 times
The crime ratings are about equal according to this. Cleveland actually has a slight advantage when it comes to crime, although I would imagine the worst neighborhoods in Cleveland are nastier than the worst Dallas neighborhoods.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010..._hightolow.pdf

Personally I would go with Cleveland due to proximity to the northeast, since that is were you're coming from. Dallas may be larger, but it does not strike me as offering much more exciting of a lifestyle than Cleveland would.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:16 AM

258 posts, read 1,035,110 times
Cleveland easily for me

Old 06-09-2011, 10:22 AM

333 posts, read 639,049 times
Dallas rules! Plenty of safe areas (althought quite a few bad ones as well). Our economy is doing great and we lead the nation in job growth!

Old 06-09-2011, 01:30 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Apples and Oranges.

Dallas is a much larger city and much more diverse. Cleveland is more compact.

Dallas offers more, but Cleveland is closer to other major cities that have tons to do.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:47 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
I grew up in Dallas and live close-in to downtown in the East Dallas / Lakewood area (very friendly streetcar-suburb area with White Rock Lake). I have only been to Cleveland once and that was 7-8 years ago. I was really struck by how small - town it seemed. I did like the atmosphere of the warehouse district and the baseball stadium.

Uptown Dallas is the place to be and it's not really as friendly as some other parts of town - North Oak Cliff is another friendly place and believe it or not a lot of people who actually live in downtown (several thousand population) know each other and hang out.

Dallas is very business-oriented and there are many opportunities to network professionally and countless organizations where you can meet people. You might have to probe a bit beyond the surface to find them but there are PLENTY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City