Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 07:33 PM

13 posts, read 32,931 times

Advertisements

I am in my mid 20's and currently live in Northern VA. I have job offers from both a position in Chicago and a position in St. Louis.

So here are the details.

My Situation
20 something w/ wife and newborn baby.
White (not racist, but lets face it, it does matter)
Raised in the midwest
Looking to live in the suburbs.
Have two cars, one highly modified. That WONT change.
Work in IT.
Looking to live in a predominately white area. I'm not racist, its just what I'm accustomed to.

St. Louis
$75k
Probably 55 hours a week.
Looking at Florisant or maybe the IL side, Edwardsville or Collinsville?

Chicago
$90k
Probably 45- 50 hours a week
Looking at maybe Hanover Park?

I know St. Louis, and I'm not worried about the crime as its not really an issue in the right areas. I just want to choose the best place to raise my family. I could care less about bars and sports, art etc. I'm into cars. So what would you choose? why? And what are some decent areas in Chicago for a white family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 07:48 PM

704 posts, read 1,792,686 times
West County in St. Louis would probably be affordable for you. Especially areas like Ballwin, Manchester, Maryland Heights, or St. Charles County. The Illinois side is much more affordable in terms of home prices, but I'd still recommend Missouri if you're willing to make a few cutbacks to find a home in a place like Ballwin, where I'm just guessing you can get a very decent home for $300,000.

I can't speak to housing prices in Chicago, but I can tell you that you get a lot of bang for your buck in St. Louis and there really is no traffic to speak of. It really is a quality of life question for you: in Chicago you have a huge city, tons of cultural opportunities, diversity, a major international airport hub (or, even, two), the Lake; but in St. Louis you have a very easy-going midwestern quality of life with a short commute, affordable living, a smaller but vibrant and culturally rich city.

I've lived in St. Louis and loved it, so that's where my bias rests. I really can't recommend the area enough. But a lot of people seem to find what St. Louis has, and so much more of it, in Chicago. That means more traffic, more taxes (maybe?), more people, more problems, but also more culture, more urban opportunity, etc.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:11 PM

13 posts, read 32,931 times
That seems to be what friends have said as well. I did some research and it seems the taxes in Chicago vs St Louis will be less. St Louis city has their tax, and then mo state tax is a bit more, along with personal property tax that IL doesn't have. However IL has higher property tax.

My wife and I are kind of frugal, and looking at buying a house at a max of about $150k in Chicago or $100k in STL. For the first year, I expect we will have to rent. Buying a house on such a short timetable would be very difficult.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:32 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
if you want frugal: St. Louis
if you want fun and Culture: Chicago

Old 01-25-2012, 10:49 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
Well, you never will get a mostly "white" neighborhood unless you live upscale suburbs of Chicago. Think Hinsdale, and the like. The most diversity you'll find there are italian vs. irish (maybe a few Indians mixed in there).

Otherwise, you will get a (mostly black or hispanic) presence if you live pretty much anywhere else. The north side is pretty integrated and the south side south of 95th street is turning more black, and I think the traditionally Irish and polish areas will be mottled in the coming years.

St. Louis definitely has it when it comes to "white only" areas. So since race seems to be such a huge hang up for you (sad, but hey to each their own, just don't preach hate to your kids), I'd stick with St. Louis.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:51 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
Based off of what you've stated and your emphasis on the fact that you are "white", you'd most likely be better off in St. Louis. Despite the fact that Chicago's south side (city) + south suburbs + west side (city) is almost entirely black (with pockets of some Latino and very small pockets of white), Chicago's north side and suburban areas are considerably more diverse & mixed compared to St. Louis. I'm from Chicago, and I can tell you that other than the almost 100% black population in the south & west sides, the rest of the area is pretty much divided up economically (more NYC style than midwest St. Louis style). rather than solely by race. In St. Louis, you're probably gonna have mainly whites, black and a smaller scattering of other races in the metropolitan mix. Plus the cost of living is much lower and I believe the laws are less harsh to folks that like to speed on the highway. Illinois has become a POLICE STATE for those folks that like to push the pedal to the metal. The speed limits on Chicago area highways are 55 mph (a joke). Getting caught while driving 31-39 MPH (86 MPH - 95 MPH) over the limit results in a Class B Misdemeanor charge and driving 40 MPH (95 MPH+) over the limit results in a Class A Misdemeanor charge.

I think you'd be better off in St. Louis. Plus, more folks down share that more old school mentality that you carry when it comes to race. My personal opinion, however, is that you'd be better off expanding your horizons a tad bit. It ain't just black or white anymore (or rich vs. poor, etc.). Rather than extremes, the world is a bit more complicated and filled with shades of grey. The world is becoming a little bit smaller, and I think it wouldn't hurt you to learn a bit more about other cultures (while loving your own), although I do UNDERSTAND your desire to live amongst folks that are similar to yourself. After all, a lot less people would paint a black professional (or blue collar worker) a racist for wanting to live amongst his/her community, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTuner View Post
I am in my mid 20's and currently live in Northern VA. I have job offers from both a position in Chicago and a position in St. Louis.

So here are the details.

My Situation
20 something w/ wife and newborn baby.
White (not racist, but lets face it, it does matter)
Raised in the midwest
Looking to live in the suburbs.
Have two cars, one highly modified. That WONT change.
Work in IT.
Looking to live in a predominately white area. I'm not racist, its just what I'm accustomed to.

St. Louis
$75k
Probably 55 hours a week.
Looking at Florisant or maybe the IL side, Edwardsville or Collinsville?

Chicago
$90k
Probably 45- 50 hours a week
Looking at maybe Hanover Park?

I know St. Louis, and I'm not worried about the crime as its not really an issue in the right areas. I just want to choose the best place to raise my family. I could care less about bars and sports, art etc. I'm into cars. So what would you choose? why? And what are some decent areas in Chicago for a white family?

Old 01-26-2012, 05:33 AM

976 posts, read 2,243,434 times
the level of ignorance on this forum is astounding. chicago is among the most segregated cities in the united states. there are plenty of mostly white neighborhoods in the city of chicago, who are you kidding. lincoln park, lakeview, bucktown, etc. come to mind immediately. "st. louis shares the old school mentality about race"?? are you kidding me. st. louis is a metro area of almost 3 million people, with all the dynamics one would expect from a major market. give me a break. chicago is as midwestern as bread and butter, so leave your delusional "chicago is more like the east coast" crap out of it. that is absolutely not true (take it from a philadelphia native). the metro areas of chicago and st. louis are very similar in culture, they just vary in scale. chicago is not like a "different world" and neither is st. louis. you can find mostly white neighborhoods in both cities and plenty of suburbs of both. if you are a racist, neither city is going to be ideal, as the minority populations in both places are large and highly visible. you people make it sound like st. louis is some rural town in mississippi or something. enough of the ignorant spewing of information about a city (st. louis) many of you just do not know.

Last edited by slengel; 01-26-2012 at 06:37 AM..

Old 01-26-2012, 06:44 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Well, you never will get a mostly "white" neighborhood unless you live upscale suburbs of Chicago.
This is not true at all. Tinley Park, Orland Park, Palos Heights, Oak Forest, Lockport, Homer Glen (all southwest suburbs) are mostly white, and are not all that upscale.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:41 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,676 times
If you are looking for mainly white in STL, i would not choose Florisant, that area is turning into a PG County in the DC.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:16 AM

229 posts, read 469,062 times
Well if you care to much about white people and a none diverse environment than a world class city like Chicago is not for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City