Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 07:01 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I suspect that a lot of Raleigh boosterism stems from the fact that so many of his residents would actually rather live elsewhere, so they find themselves justifying their move to that sleepy southern town by pretending it's something that it isn't. It's the kind of place people settle for.

Any time residents of the city spend more time hyping the cities growth, jobs and education of its population over the actual character and amenities of the city, I get the impression that they know it's lacking. They use non-specific terms like family friendly or quality of life, without ever explaining what distinguishes their city. This is shorthand for though, boring and generic. The best is when they caught the public schools in there metro, and you find out they live in the suburbs, as if you can't find good public schools in the suburbs of any city.
From my perspective, the rabid boosterism seems to come from not having lived anywhere else or traveled extensively.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:10 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,674,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Is that supposed to be a good thing???? And I don't know of any poor folks who are arrogant or look down their noses at other people because of their zip code. Poor folks from Raleigh are still worse off than middle/upper class folks from Hickory, so what's the basis of the arrogance? Furthermore, that seems to be more of a quality of older, aristocratic cities like Richmond or Charleston that have historically put a premium on where you're from, what's your last name, what high school you graduated from, etc. Raleigh is a New South upstart that doesn't really care about any of that.
Richmond can be aristocratic all it wants to... It's still has an uneducated, redneck, stuck in the past, dirty housing project vibe about the city. It's also much smaller by comparison. If it weren't for the socioecomic racial bs that Raleigh exudes and shares with every other American city, it would be heaven on earth. Raleigh/Durham kicks most cities asses due to it having a tremendous quality of life balance that many metros lack. Richmond has been in the dump for many decades now. It may have its time to shine again however right now we are in the age North Carolina's TRIANGLE!

Old 09-04-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Richmond can be aristocratic all it wants to... It's still has an uneducated, redneck, stuck in the past, dirty housing project vibe about the city. It's also much smaller by comparison. If it weren't for the socioecomic racial bs that Raleigh exudes and shares with every other American city, it would be heaven on earth. Raleigh/Durham kicks most cities asses due to it having a tremendous quality of life balance that many metros lack. Richmond has been in the dump for many decades now. It may have its time to shine again however right now we are in the age North Carolina's TRIANGLE!
You already said that. It wasn't worth repeating...at all.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
From my perspective, the rabid boosterism seems to come from not having lived anywhere else or traveled extensively.
Most people who live in Raleigh are from somewhere else. Raleigh is one of the most diverse cities in the south. So stop the jealousy. It amazes me how jealous folks are over this "southern town. " Everytime I have lived somewhere else, I always comeback to the realization of how superior Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill is... The Triangle has some of everything... We cant help the fact we're just better. The numbers don't lie.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Most people who live in Raleigh are from somewhere else. Raleigh is one of the most diverse cities in the south. So stop the jealousy. It amazes me how jealous folks are over this "southern town. " Everytime I have lived somewhere else, I always comeback to the realization of how superior Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill is... The Triangle has some of everything... We cant help the fact we're just better. The numbers don't lie.
Lol, "jealous"? In my adult life, I've lived in the metropolitan areas of Charlotte, Atlanta, Philadelphia, and currently DC, so tell me, why in the world should I be jealous of the Triangle? Lololol

Have you lived anywhere else but the Triangle? If so, where and for how long?

You may think your metro area is "better" (than who?), but you seem to think that makes YOU better than everybody else. I won't even begin to explain how absolutely ludicrous and dumb that is. But maybe that's some people's way of coping with their own personal shortcomings/lack of personal achievement...who knows?

Old 09-04-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Lol, "jealous"? In my adult life, I've lived in the metropolitan areas of Charlotte, Atlanta, Philadelphia, and currently DC, so tell me, why in the world should I be jealous of the Triangle? Lololol

Have you lived anywhere else but the Triangle? If so, where and for how long?

You may think your metro area is "better" (than who?), but you seem to think that makes YOU better than everybody else. I won't even begin to explain how absolutely ludicrous and dumb that is. But maybe that's some people's way of coping with their own personal shortcomings/lack of personal achievement...who knows?
Trust me. Your comments are reeking with foul odor of jealousy and envy. You're in a Raleigh thread making comments about our beautiful southern town, not the other way around. The DC metro area gives Raleigh a run for it's money, but that comes with many shortcomings as well... COL, crime, leftwing liberalism (fascism), etc.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Trust me.
Nah Donald, I'll pass.

Quote:
Your comments are reeking with foul odor of jealousy and envy. You're in a Raleigh thread making comments about our beautiful southern town, not the other way around. The DC metro area gives Raleigh a run for it's money, but that comes with many shortcomings as well... COL, crime, leftwing liberalism (fascism), etc.
You're delusional.

This isn't a "Raleigh thread;" this is a Richmond vs Raleigh thread in the City vs City forum.

And no, the DC metro area doesn't give Raleigh "a run for its money;" it absolutely crushes Raleigh in practically every single positive metric imaginable. I'll take the "leftwing liberalism" of DC over the ultraconservatism of NC right now which is costing the state jobs and high-profile events. And DC has a higher cost of living because it's much more desirable than Raleigh...simple supply and demand.

This is hilariously sad. Raleigh is a fine place for what it is but you need a dose of reality. It's pretty clear that you've never lived anywhere else, which is why you didn't even answer that question.

I really hope your mindset isn't representative of the average Raleigh resident.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 09-04-2016 at 09:16 AM..

Old 09-04-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Nah Donald, I'll pass.

You're delusional.

This isn't a "Raleigh thread;" this is a Richmond vs Raleigh thread in the City vs City forum.

And no, the DC metro area doesn't give Raleigh "a run for its money;" it absolutely crushes Raleigh in practically every single positive metric imaginable. I'll take the "leftwing liberalism" of DC over the ultraconservatism of NC right now which is costing the state jobs and high-profile events. And DC has a higher cost of living because it's much more desirable than Raleigh...simple cost and demand.

This is hilariously sad. Raleigh is a fine place for what it is but you need a dose of reality. It's pretty clear that you've never lived anywhere else, which is why you didn't even answer that question.

I really hope your mindset isn't representative of the average Raleigh resident.
This is a Raleigh thread. Richmond has become Raleigh's little brother.

Stop with the assumpstions dude. I've lived in NE DC, Anacostia, Silver Springs and Ellicot City just to name a few. Don't assume please.

Raleigh crushes any city within it's tier in the US. Charlotte holds its weight as well. DC/Baltimore is damn near 10 million people with the amenities to match.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Stop with the assumpstions dude. I've lived in NE DC, Anacostia, Silver Springs and Ellicot City just to name a few. Don't assume please.

Raleigh crushes any city within it's tier in the US. Charlotte holds its weight as well. DC/Baltimore is damn near 10 million people with the amenities to match.
At least you qualified your statement with "within its tier"...still extremely debatable but sounds a lot more reasonable than "Raleigh gives DC a run for its money" lolol.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
At least you qualified your statement with "within its tier"...still extremely debatable but sounds a lot more reasonable than "Raleigh gives DC a run for its money" lolol.
No. I stated "DC gives Raleigh a run for its money." Don't twist my words. Both areas suffer from leftwing Nazism, but thats every big city in America at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City