Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 11:14 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The T&L data is compiled by travelers and has a separate component for city residents and is by no means "buzz" oriented
Regardless, T & L is purely an online unscientific poll, based on the opinions of people who may or may not have traveled to any of the cities in question for unknown amounts of time (Who has more expertise: visitors who stay for a week, or "visitors" who are passing through on major highways? This poll does not differentiate). This is aside from the fact that there is no limit to voting in these polls. T & L is, most definitely, a publication looking for media "buzz."

Quote:
I find it both humorous and pathetic how many Philadelphians fight the very real image of filth/grime/decay. Perhaps if more city residents were to take a 20/20 look around we would be having less of these conversations.
I also don't understand this "either/or" type mentality. Far too many people treat the category of cleanliness in a such a way that a city is a grime-free uptopia or a disgusting cesspool. Anyone with an ounce of intellectual discernment would understand that it's simplistic to paint with such a broad bush across any large city. It's far more accurate to discuss this issue on a neighborhood level (where it tends to be strongly tied to income level). To this end, I will acknowledge there are neighborhoods in Philly where the amount of filth is appalling; by that same token, some seem pristine and yet others that could use a bit of improvement -- catch my drift?

Also, note how I never once claimed that Philly does not have its fair share of filth/grime/decay; I'm merely claiming that, overall, it's very hard to quantify such a metric.

Last edited by Duderino; 07-05-2011 at 12:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 11:25 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Why anyone would get exorcised over how folks view another city is perplexing to me, to the point of spreading inanities. I picture them stamping their feet and getting red-faced while posting: "Dirt! Dirt! Dirt!" or "Slums! Slums! Slums!" or such equal non-sense. When I encounter this rare bird, it's always interesting to check their positing history where I often uncover an ax they feel the need to grind. Whether it's someone who got fired in a city they once lived in (I know of one such case here), those who bash all cities in a particular region (north, south, east or west) or those who just won't give credit to any city but their own out of what appears to be insecurity - these are factors I take into account when weighing their posts against others.

I can't imagine stopping to reason with the crazy guy on the corner proclaiming the world is ending. It seems equally fruitless to engage with that kind of person here. Just like the crazy guy - they want something to push back against. I just leave them to the CD equivalent of Sisyphus' task: spreading vitriol in the vain dream that eventually all around them will somehow wake up to the inerrancy of their views.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 07-05-2011 at 11:40 AM..

Old 07-05-2011, 11:26 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,723,143 times
Like anywhere else Philly has slums, even Paris and London have slums. I just don't understand why in Philly's case, the slums, that make up a small fraction of the metropolis, are used to represent it, while in other places, the slums are treated like what they are, marginal.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:38 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Like anywhere else Philly has slums, even Paris and London have slums. I just don't understand why in Philly's case, the slums, that make up a small fraction of the metropolis, are used to represent it, while in other places, the slums are treated like what they are, marginal.
My guess is some of the reasons I suggested in the post above yours.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:45 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Exactly. When I went to Paris, I was very surprised at how unkept some of the areas looked -- particularly in suburban areas, where it is virtually unheard of to have extensive decay from an American perspective. While unfortunate, I still left Paris thinking it is an extraordinary city, because that is not the norm for such a vibrant metropolis.

It's also important to point out that many of so-called "slummy" areas are virtually deserted. It's not unreasonable to expect that after an area is abandoned, it's going to suffer from extreme neglect. The fact of the matter is, cities like Philadelphia that are recovering from decades of de-population are going to have to make some "trade-offs" in terms of upkeep. The more lived-in/visited parts of any city are always going to be much better off.

Last edited by Duderino; 07-05-2011 at 11:56 AM..

Old 07-05-2011, 02:40 PM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I dont like Atlanta either is what im saying.
For God's sake, leave Atlanta out of this. It has nothing to do with this thread, in case your tiny head hadn't noticed.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:57 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times

OMG give me a break, now i most certainly agree that mobile or whatever place you like are better place to live than philly.

Last edited by cpomp; 07-05-2011 at 05:09 PM..

Old 07-05-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
The T&L data is compiled by travelers and has a separate component for city residents and is by no means "buzz" oriented. I find it both humorous and pathetic how many Philadelphians fight the very real image of filth/grime/decay. Perhaps if more city residents were to take a 20/20 look around we would be having less of these conversations.

You know its so annoying when people like, making ignorant statements always like to point out the bad in the city, but never the good. There could be hundreds of positive aspects of the city, and a few negative and you like to dwell on the negative. Ive been in philly, virtually every neighborhood at one point or another, yes there are some very rough parts, and parts of the city are dirty, but it is by no means a wasteland of any sort. Center city is one of the most walkable and stable downtowns in the county, university city has been transformed, older neighborhoods have made a comeback, and the growing medical industry as well as the plans to revitalize the waterfront. I currently live in the philly suburbs which are beautiful, but i lived in philly for over 10 years, and i wanted to make sure that i set some things straight, so other posters wont think like you.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
For God's sake, leave Atlanta out of this. It has nothing to do with this thread, in case your tiny head hadn't noticed.

I didnt bring up atlanta. But maybe i will now to annoy you.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:06 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
I'm a city person. So I'd rather live in Philly than Mobile. Although making that much in a place as cheap as Mobile would definitely be tempting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City