Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 06:15 AM

134 posts, read 475,100 times

Advertisements

1. In your opinion what American cities have the worst drug problems in America?

2. Of those cities which neighborhoods are struggling the most with the influence of drugs on the community, both selling and using.

Any input would be appreciated as I am trying to gather some information for a research paper aimed at shedding some light on these neighborhoods. As well as how drug culture and demographic change can effect neighborhoods and the people who live there.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 10:28 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,929,815 times
Every conceivable place in the USA has a drug problem because the problem lies deep rooted within our own legal and health systems.

Nowadays the worst drug problems are the abuse of LEGAL manufactured drugs-Oxycontin, Xanax, Percocet, etc. Which is pretty ironic considering the amount of time and money the US Government has put into continuing marijuana prohibition. Until laws are changed and as long as the govt refuses to admit their mistakes which have resulted in the extreme overcrowding of prisons and mis-spending trillions in tax payers money things will continue to get worse. It is sad to see how so many people become addicted to prescription drugs after being prescribed them.

Wake up people! People are not overdosing and abusing marijuana-in fact it is impossible to do so. Legal drugs are the main culprit

http://www.alternet.org/drugs/80448/

"Drug death rates are currently more than twice what they were during the peak years of crack cocaine mortality in the early 1990s, and four to five times higher than the rates during the year of heroin mortality peak in 1975"

That's my rant for the week

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 06-28-2011 at 10:45 AM..

Old 06-28-2011, 10:46 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweendog024 View Post
1. In your opinion what American cities have the worst drug problems in America?

2. Of those cities which neighborhoods are struggling the most with the influence of drugs on the community, both selling and using.

Any input would be appreciated as I am trying to gather some information for a research paper aimed at shedding some light on these neighborhoods. As well as how drug culture and demographic change can effect neighborhoods and the people who live there.

Thank You
You'd do better asking which cities don't have a drug problem.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:59 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,985 times
Apparently Rhode Island has the highest rate of drug use among states so I am guessing Providence is pretty high.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:56 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Apparently Rhode Island has the highest rate of drug use among states so I am guessing Providence is pretty high.
where did you find this out? RI Really? I'm not saying it's BS, but...source please?

Old 06-30-2011, 10:41 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
where did you find this out? RI Really? I'm not saying it's BS, but...source please?
The United States of Shame (CHART) |

Quote:
39. Rhode Island: highest rate of illicit drug use (12.5 percent of population) State-by-State Drug Use (Or, Rhode Island Needs More Rehab) - NYTimes.com

Old 06-30-2011, 11:44 PM

260 posts, read 757,523 times
This is just going by what I see on Breaking Bad, but that show makes Albuquerque seem like the meth capital of the world.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:44 AM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlefanatic View Post
This is just going by what I see on Breaking Bad, but that show makes Albuquerque seem like the meth capital of the world.
yeah I can see how that show would give that impression. When I lived in Seattle though , I remembered hearing about how there were lots and lots of meth labs in the woods of rural Oregon and Washington. It's also a big problem in places like West Virginia. It goes without saying Seattle has a big drug problem, but then again so does pretty much every corner of the USA. So much for this war on drugs, losing the war big time.

Two cities with a big reputation for druggies....

San Francisco - for everything
Miami - for Cocaine

cities with boozebag reputations, New Orleans, Milwaukee, and Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
The United States of Shame (CHART) |

39. Rhode Island: highest rate of illicit drug use (12.5 percent of population) State-by-State Drug Use (Or, Rhode Island Needs More Rehab) - NYTimes.com
I suppose it's not very ironic that Rhode Island's unemployment rate is not far off from that 12.5% figure.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:18 AM

336 posts, read 768,321 times
Baltimore for heroin

Old 01-21-2014, 02:20 PM

673 posts, read 1,186,579 times
Baltimore (Heroin Capitol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City