Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2011, 08:52 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,938,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
Honestly, I'm leaning slightly more to Chicago. You saw New York, felt the vibe, did see some tourist attractions and while I think it is great for you to go back and see more of it, I think you should visit Chicago.

Chicago gives you more variety of things to do. I mean think about it, the downtown area of Chicago is the only place I can think of where you can swim on the beach, enjoy the views of a world-class skyline with world-class architecture, have a variety of places to eat (great food there), walk around to enjoy the scenery, relax on the park, go on top of supertall skyscrapers, visit planetarium/museum/aquarium all without even needing a car or a subway ride....I can walk the entire distances to do all those things. New York is sort of limited in the variety of things you can do, but it makes up for it with sheer size and vibrancy that is unmatched in this part of the world.

Go to Chicago, you'll love it...especially in the summer time. I went there last summer because I already saw NY many times and wanted to explore Chicago...and I truly love that place; I do not regret visiting there and neither will you.
In what way is New York sorta limited in the things you can do...

Old 09-13-2011, 07:45 AM

58 posts, read 95,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Jobs en masse? You sure about that one?
Chicago has one of the worst economies in the nation. They have had epic job losses during this recession. I think second or third worst in the country in total job losses since the recession began.

On the other hand, the overall job market is still very large, because it's a huge city and metro.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:54 PM

4,652 posts, read 4,968,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
In what way is New York sorta limited in the things you can do...
Well, it's the most expensive city in the country, for one.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:24 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,251,466 times
Chicago is cheaper and gives you the big city amenities for a fraction of the cost as NYC but it offers nothing you cant find in NYC. Both are great cities but NYC is just better than Chicago and every where else.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:50 PM

815 posts, read 1,856,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
Chicago is cheaper and gives you the big city amenities for a fraction of the cost as NYC but it offers nothing you cant find in NYC. Both are great cities but NYC is just better than Chicago and every where else.
I would not be quick to say that Chicago provides the big city "amenities" when compared with NYC. I think it does provide the big city environment, but the amenities which exist in NYC are fairly non replaceable IMHO... As are a few of the ones in Chicago such as Field, AI, etc.

If you have the lake in Chicago and bigger apartment, you might miss the energy and better transport of NYC.

If you have Broadway and people all over the streets in NYC, you might get tired of so many tourists and having to work extra hours to live there.

Both cities have their pluses/minuses.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:53 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,286,495 times
Cheap rent and an American atmosphere. Chicago is a big American city but NYC is an entity all its own.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:40 PM

109 posts, read 278,572 times
Good Hotdogs!

Old 10-05-2013, 07:22 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,460 times
A good football team lol.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:31 PM

399 posts, read 882,215 times
In light of the other two threads, why dig it up?

Old 10-05-2013, 10:39 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,211,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I'll step out on a limb here ...

Good pizza.

I simply cannot stand slimy, thin, goopy pizza. Just doesn't do it for me.

People won't call you an a$$hole and bang on your car in the middle of the day in Chicago. Though there are an abundance of clueless drivers to honk at.

Chicago's waterfront is quite nice and meant for parks and historical museums and then there's the inviting beaches.

Less garbage strewn about on the streets smelling everything up.

Cheaper.

And why not visit? You can always go to NYC, why not check out Chicago?
Actually I have had that happen to me before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City