Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 08:49 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,910,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
You have obviously never been to NYC. There are more things to do in Time Square than the entire Loop.
You have obviously never been to Chicago. The Loop is the business and financial district which closes down at 6pm each night, save for the few theatres in that area.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:57 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
You have obviously never been to Chicago. The Loop is the business and financial district which closes down at 6pm each night, save for the few theatres in that area.
I have been to the Loop hundreds of times. There are more activities and things to see and do in Midtown and Lower Manhattan. Grant Park vs Central Park? Really! Time Square vs...... Broadway vs........The ESB vs Hancock. Wall Street vs.....,The MET vs......, Brooklyn Bridge, Port Authority, Ground Zero, Little Italy, Chinatown, Chelsea, Staten Island Ferry, SOHO, The Village, Lincoln Tunnel, Holland Tunnel. I can keep going. All of these areas are very walkable and offer more international attractions and a wider variety of things to do.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:53 AM

You're completely missing the point. You compared Chicago's Loop to Times Square by saying the latter had much more to do all the time than the former. Chicago's Loop is nothing like Times Square. Chicago's Loop is akin to lower Manhattan, centered around the Wall Street/City Hall area.

What is there to do on Wall Street?? Perhaps I was missing something there. All there seemed to be were tall buildings filled with financial/business/law/real estate firms, just like Chicago's Loop.

You must not understand where the Loop is located. The Chicago Loop is NOT the entire city of Chicago. It is NOT the entire downtown area of Chicago. I would argue it's bounded on the East by Grant Park, west by the river, north by the river, and South by Congress Pkwy.

I agree that Central Park is much larger and more varied than Grant Park. But Grant Park is not in Chicago's Loop (it is east of it) and Central Park is not near Times Square.

ESB versus Hancock or Sears (Willis) Tower?? What's the difference? Chrysler v. Trump?? Ok. It's a building.

Lincoln Tunnel and the Holland Tunnel I wouldn't consider attractions. If they are so walkable, have YOU ever walked down in the tunnels from Manhattan to Jersey?

How is the Port Authority building an attraction? It's a giant bus terminal near the Lincoln Tunnel. I could see the argument being made for Grand Central.

NYC does have a LOT more to offer because of its history and population. But Chicago is not slouch either. It is the 2nd best urban tourist destination.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:57 PM

765 posts, read 1,859,934 times
Quote:
You have obviously never been to NYC. There are more things to do in Time Square than the entire Loop.
I live in Montgomery County, PA...just north of Philadelphia. Manhattan is around 80 miles from where I live...about an hour and a half drive. Of course I've been to New York a BAJILLION times. I've been to every borough of that city.

You fail to understand my point. There are certainly MORE things to see and do in NYC because it's much bigger and has much more of everything than Chicago. I never denied that. My point was that the thread starter will enjoy visiting Chicago because there are more variety of things to do in the immediate area in downtown Chicago from beach activities to festivals to sightseeing.

Downtown Chicago packs a more powerful centralized punch than any area in Manhattan as far as variety of activities that can be done. The main reason for that is due to the beautiful lakefront with thousands of people swimming, tanning, jogging, biking, rollerblading, playing beach volleyball, with yachts and sailboats cruising along and the Navy Pier full of people just enjoying their time. To have this beach atmosphere, that extends for miles across the city's coastline, in such proximity to an already amazing skyline and urban jungle well as the main shopping districts, festivals and the museum campus, downtown Chicago is truly multi-faceted in a way that Midtown or Lower Manhattan isn't. This is the main reason why I suggest the thread starter to check out Chicago because he will be able to do many activities besides walking around and sightseeing a giant urban jungle.

Last edited by Libohove90; 07-09-2011 at 01:06 PM..

Old 07-09-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
I live in Montgomery County, PA...just north of Philadelphia. Manhattan is around 80 miles from where I live...about an hour and a half drive. Of course I've been to New York a BAJILLION times. I've been to every borough of that city.

You fail to understand my point. There are certainly MORE things to see and do in NYC because it's much bigger and has much more of everything than Chicago. I never denied that. My point was that the thread starter will enjoy visiting Chicago because there are more variety of things to do in the immediate area in downtown Chicago from beach activities to festivals to sightseeing.

Downtown Chicago packs a more powerful centralized punch than any area in Manhattan as far as variety of activities that can be done. The main reason for that is due to the beautiful lakefront with thousands of people swimming, tanning, jogging, biking, rollerblading, playing beach volleyball, with yachts and sailboats cruising along and the Navy Pier full of people just enjoying their time. To have this beach atmosphere, that extends for miles across the city's coastline, in such proximity to an already amazing skyline and urban jungle well as the main shopping districts, festivals and the museum campus, downtown Chicago is truly multi-faceted in a way that Midtown or Lower Manhattan isn't. This is the main reason why I suggest the thread starter to check out Chicago because he will be able to do many activities besides walking around and sightseeing a giant urban jungle.
Other than swimming in a lake next to DT, what can you do in DT Chicago that Midtown Manhattan doesn't offer. Midtown has the best shopping district in the world (5th Ave). Better transportation. The most visited tourist attraction (Time Square), hundreds of Broadway shows, Radio City Music Hall, NBC, CBS, FOX and ABC TV shows, SNL, Letterman, Today Show, international festivals, parades, etc..... It's not even a fair comparison.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:28 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times
Seriously, why all the NYC puffing. No one is saying that Chicago has more of anything; what it has is different - I think that's what the point was. Geez.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Seriously, why all the NYC puffing. No one is saying that Chicago has more of anything; what it has is different - I think that's what the point was. Geez.
Puffing? Libohove90 stated..."Downtown Chicago packs a more powerful centralized punch than any area in Manhattan as far as variety of activities that can be done."

You and I both agree that this is absurd!

Old 07-09-2011, 02:51 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times
Is someone not allowed to like Chicago more? Seriously??

Old 07-09-2011, 03:01 PM

Either way they are way bigger and better cities than DC.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:01 PM

765 posts, read 1,859,934 times
Quote:
Other than swimming in a lake next to DT, what can you do in DT Chicago that Midtown Manhattan doesn't offer.
Play beach sports (volleyball), tanning, far more convenient for biking, rollerblading and jogging, seeing hot girls in their bikinis, Navy Pier, go up 1,353 feet in the air and walk on the ledge, eat at a cozy restaurant on the 94th floor, amenities that cost less, clean streets, no summer smell of rotten trash, not as hectic, less stressful, more relaxing, more calm, better skyline views....etc.

Quote:
Midtown has the best shopping district in the world (5th Ave).
The thread starter is 20 years old. Do you honestly think he cares that Midtown has the best shopping district in the world? He'll be window-shopping all day...what a waste of time. And even if he does want to shop, what's wrong with Michigan Avenue? Plenty of good stuff to buy there as well.

Quote:
Better transportation.
Now tell me, how is that even relevant here? I spent 3 nights in downtown Chicago, I never took a bus or subway, I simply walked everywhere.

Quote:
The most visited tourist attraction (Time Square), hundreds of Broadway shows, Radio City Music Hall, NBC, CBS, FOX and ABC TV shows, SNL, Letterman, Today Show, international festivals, parades, etc..... It's not even a fair comparison.
Ok.... He's been to Times Square by the way. I am sure he'll have more fun going on top the Willis and Hancock towers, being at the festivals with free concerts and perhaps go to the lakefront and enjoy the beach scene.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=192287

^^This. Downtown Chicago has that seductive atmosphere that Midtown lacks, but makes it up for other things. I personally think the thread starter would enjoy Chicago more than New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City