Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 12:06 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,874,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Columbus has not hit 100 in 12 years.
Really? Minneapolis hits 100 on average every other year. I've lived in both and I'd say the summers are equally warm/hot (85-90 for much of July and August), but it's no Dallas (95-105 for much of July and August) -- wow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 08:23 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,055,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Really? Minneapolis hits 100 on average every other year. I've lived in both and I'd say the summers are equally warm/hot (85-90 for much of July and August), but it's no Dallas (95-105 for much of July and August) -- wow!
Yeah, the last time was July 31, 1999. The hottest it has been since was 97, which happened once in July and once in August of 2005. The next previous 100+ temp happened in the infamous drought summer of 1988.

Ohio's summers are usually not extremely hot. Temps in the low 90s are about as hot as it normally gets, but it's more common in the 70s and 80s. I know the Plains can get ridiculously hot and have a larger range of temps from winter to summer. It seems most of the South/Southwest are having a very hot and dry summer this year.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:23 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,580,427 times
Columbus has the edge on summer weather for me because it can have 70 degree sunshine weather without it having to rain like in Texas. But I have certainly experienced my fair share of horrible, humid weather in Columbus. I also couldn't stand the winters, but if you like a colder climate and mild summers than Columbus is for you. I have a friend who loves the cold and will live anywhere that gets decent snow amount and loves Ohio and Minnesota.

On the other hand, I think both are nice cities and will offer something different. I think if you go to college there or live in the area, Columbus would be fun. I enjoyed their downtown, Short North and German Village. Lots of young people and college students hanging around there and a mix of shops and great restaurants.

Dallas has always been on of my favorite cities. It is bigger than Columbus so it has more to offer in the sports realm, more shopping, restaurants, more diverse population, etc.

Last edited by Lovely95; 07-12-2011 at 09:33 PM..

Old 01-12-2012, 03:11 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,671,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Dallas has a huge young professional population. I don't know as much about Columbus, but it seems very OSU focused. I would imagine a vast majority of the post college crowd in Columbus that constitute young professionals is in grad school.

The thing with Dallas is that it is very spread out. So you really should choose wisely where you live. There are clusters of young professionals. Also, outside of downtown, it is distinctly new suburban. Most apartment complexes are garden/resort style. A lot of shopping centers. Not as walkable in many areas because the distances involved. Much different than Cleveland and downtown Cleveland where I assume you are from based on your name.

Check out Uptown in Dallas as well as Downtown. They are a bit more urban.
To clear up Columbus is more a city within a city. The Ohio State University is in the northern central section of the city and has its own nightlife, attractions, housing, even power plant.

The rest of Columbus may look toward OSU to watch football, but the city is much larger and diverse to the point that nightlife, restaurants, cultural scenes exist without OSU students etc.

It wasn't always this way but Columbus grew from a medium sized collegetown/capital into a city with a modern economy and many corporate headquarters etc.

Columbus has a very large young professional population and a growing number of gentrified urban neighborhoods that are full of young professionals.

check out short north to see one: Short North Arts District | Expressive. Edgy. Classic. Utterly unique. Simply cool!

To answer the original question on this poster should move to dallas or columbus? I would recommend a visit to both, they both have a lot to offer.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:54 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,213,679 times
Dallas is so much better diverse,fun, and has great weather with one of the best economys in the country.
Columbus is in ohio, that just gives you a clue there

Old 01-13-2012, 11:17 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,055,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
Dallas is so much better diverse,fun, and has great weather with one of the best economys in the country.
Columbus is in ohio, that just gives you a clue there
Why do people who have obviously never been to the places in question feel the need to offer an opinion like this?

And Columbus has lower unemployment than Dallas, actually.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:27 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,678,955 times
Both are pretty boring. You may want to reconsider your options.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:48 PM

213 posts, read 698,004 times
Lived in both cities for a year. If you are a young urban professional (yuppie?), then Dallas definitely will have a lot more to offer the single guy in his 20's and even well into his 30's.

The single life in Columbus is probably great until you hit about 25, but in the year that I have been here, it's rare to see a woman past that age without a rock on her finger. Definitely was not the case in Dallas. That's when it seemed like most women were ready to stop messing around and get serious about dating.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:47 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,428,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dytdude View Post
Well yes Columbus has alot of singles however lets be real here the city doea not offer alot of venues for young singles besides bars. Columbus is flat and boring. No professional sports teams, etc. It is growing economically (state capital, insurance, healthcare, retail) and has some great amenities (chain restaraunts, retail, nice suburban areas). All of that is conducive to raising a family, and securing a job. But after your job whats next?? Please tell me what the nightlife is like for young professionals in Columbus ...?
Geez, you just had to force my hand. Look, I moved from Columbus because it wasn't urban enough for me, but first of all, what's wrong with bars for young singles? That's like saying NYC,Chicago, and LA only offer mostly bars for young singles. Huh, what? That's bad somehow? Anyway, Columbus is rather flat, but then you have ravines and the Hilltop neighborhood which is definitely on a hilltop: try biking up there like I have and you'll wish Columbus was as flat as you claim.

And what the **** does a professional sports team have to do with anything? It has virtually no impact on day-to-day living: I couldn't care less if Mpls, Cbus, or NYC had a major sports team because I don't live in a hole except to emerge above ground to watch "the game" in person. The inner-city of Columbus is very indie business heavy: Atlanta ain't got **** on the Short North: period. Nightlife in Columbus is bar oriented, whether it's Hal & Al's for live music (always free), a great beer selection, and a vegan-only menu (good luck finding such a place even in NYC), El Camino Inn for a dusty inland California town bar, Bodega for $1 grilled cheese and half off 50 draughts for happy hour, or Dirty Dungarees for a bar and laundromat in one with $3 20oz brown ales. That's just a smapling of the many very quirky joints on or near High Stt.

What's especially funny about the cheap shot about Columbus being suburban and for families is that the Short North alone, not to mention the other 3 miles of High St, blow away Dallas' best urbanism and Atlanta's laughable Peachtree St which can't hold a candle to a city forgotten among Cleveland and Cincinnati.

Columbus it is.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:55 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Both are pretty boring. You may want to reconsider your options.
Don't know about Columbus, but when it concerns Dallas, if you can't find things to do in a metro of nearly 7 million people, the problem is you, not the city. All you do is run around and find Yhreafs that feature Southern or sunbelt cities and bash unnecessarily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City