Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 12:47 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Nice job, I was too lazy to do it.....

That is a good exercise to show the size of Philly and close to its 11,457.
I agree and I think it may be more directly comparable to Philly since it accounts (for the most part) for some of the most urban parts of the Bay to compare directly to Philly's 135 urban square miles.

So if its the Bay being compared to Philly (which is fine b/c that is realistic) then I'm good with it for the most part (I'd probably trade Alameda and Albany for Brisbane and SSF b/c SFO and SSF should be included in what is "San Francisco" if for nothing more than it being their namesake lol). But if we're talking about a 135 or so square mile version of the City of SF, then I think the Peninsula is where we need to look, and that pushes Philly past SF in terms of density.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Also more important the Giants start a series with the Phils tonight. Always enjoy seeing Lincecum pitch.
Hopefully it'll actually happen tonight!

Old 07-28-2011, 01:00 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
A) Why? Why are we even bothering to bring up transit in this thread? That's a topic for a completely different thread.
I believe transit should be discussed in this thread. The urbanity of a city is not all about the density, transit plays a huge part.

Quote:
B) Really? 7 maps for Philly while all you could bother to draw up for SF was one? Does that seem fair to you?
SF posters are allowed to post maps of their transit system, nobody is stopping them.

Quote:
Yeah but not 7 maps less, and you're ignoring the fact that SF is 1/3 the size of Philly physically, making your map demo pretty unfair without mentioning that.
IMO it's not unfair at all. Defensive? I believe nexis4newjersey was just trying to compare transit because discussing transit is a huge hobby for him.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:41 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
I agree and I think it may be more directly comparable to Philly since it accounts (for the most part) for some of the most urban parts of the Bay to compare directly to Philly's 135 urban square miles.

So if its the Bay being compared to Philly (which is fine b/c that is realistic) then I'm good with it for the most part (I'd probably trade Alameda and Albany for Brisbane and SSF b/c SFO and SSF should be included in what is "San Francisco" if for nothing more than it being their namesake lol). But if we're talking about a 135 or so square mile version of the City of SF, then I think the Peninsula is where we need to look, and that pushes Philly past SF in terms of density.
I think there are a lot of similarities; but one other thing to keep in mind is that in many places the 10K+ density and continuous rowhome neighborhoods extend well beyond the Philly borders

For eaxmple these are from the inner ring of burbs looking back on Philly - the continuous urban feel in Philly does not end at the borders per se. Not sure i am total fan of all these places being born in a rowhome in NE Philly but on the issue of urbanity it is far larger and continuous than the 135 sq mile boundary.

From The Faraway Place | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/phillytrax/5886249133/ - broken link)

These below are closer than Oakland is to SF on a relative scale and served by a subway to philly

Camden & Philly | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cameragirl/275594283/ - broken link)

Camden, New Jersey | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/andertho/481303384/ - broken link)

Old 07-28-2011, 02:17 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
The difference between Philly and SF, I think, is this:

8 miles away from Center City (19144) the pop. density is 12,324 according to C-D. This is Germantown.

9 miles from Center City (19119) the density drops to 5,208. This is West Mount Airy, which is really the "suburbs" of the city limits. East Mount Airy, which is more working-class, has a density of 9,386.

7 miles from Center City (19151) the pop. density is 9,708. This is Overbrook. I think this figure is wrong because there's no way Germantown is denser than Overbrook.

I'm not familar enough with San Francisco to do the same thing, but what is the density like once you get away from the core?

Old 07-28-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
I believe transit should be discussed in this thread. The urbanity of a city is not all about the density, transit plays a huge part.
Oh? You're in favor of a post that begins, "Lets compare Philly to SF transit wise....," and then not only doesn't show most of what SF has transit-wise while showing 7 maps for Philly, but also neglects to acknowledge that Philly is 3 times the size of SF so as to imply that Philly is light years ahead of SF in this regard? Who would have thought?

Maybe if you even had the cognitive ability to not look at this with anything less than complete bias you would get what I'm talking about. But clearly you don't. Smh.

Quote:
SF posters are allowed to post maps of their transit system, nobody is stopping them.
Not the point, that's already abundantly clear.

Quote:
IMO it's not unfair at all. Defensive? I believe nexis4newjersey was just trying to compare transit because discussing transit is a huge hobby for him.
Well I could have told you before reading any more of your posts that it wouldn't seem unfair to YOU. You're all about double-standards and not being realistic in regards to SF in Philly comparisons.

Sour grapes?

You can (and apparently will) believe WHATEVER you want, and Nexis's preferred hobbies are irrelevant. What he presented was about as fair and balanced as what Fox News presents, and I spoke up about it. Deal with it.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I think there are a lot of similarities; but one other thing to keep in mind is that in many places the 10K+ density and continuous rowhome neighborhoods extend well beyond the Philly borders

For eaxmple these are from the inner ring of burbs looking back on Philly - the continuous urban feel in Philly does not end at the borders per se. Not sure i am total fan of all these places being born in a rowhome in NE Philly but on the issue of urbanity it is far larger and continuous than the 135 sq mile boundary.

From The Faraway Place | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/phillytrax/5886249133/ - broken link)

These below are closer than Oakland is to SF on a relative scale and served by a subway to philly

Camden & Philly | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cameragirl/275594283/ - broken link)

Camden, New Jersey | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/andertho/481303384/ - broken link)
I see. So how large of an area would include the Philly suburbs that maintain the continuous 10K+ density in total combined with Philly itself? Just kind of curious to see how large of an area Philly and the Bay are relatively even for.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:06 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,036 times
Quote:
Oh? You're in favor of a post that begins, "Lets compare Philly to SF transit wise....,"
Yes, I'm in favor of his post and this is the second time stating so.

Quote:
and then not only doesn't show most of what SF has transit-wise while showing 7 maps for Philly,
If posters do not like the maps provided then they can post others. Again, nobody is stopping people from posting pictures of the SF subway/transit maps.

Quote:
but also neglects to acknowledge that Philly is 3 times the size of SF so as to imply that Philly is light years ahead of SF in this regard? Who would have thought?
Boston is only 2 square miles larger than SF, yet has a way more extensive system. Size is not an excuse!

Quote:
Maybe if you even had the cognitive ability to not look at this with anything less than complete bias you would get what I'm talking about. But clearly you don't. Smh. Not the point, that's already abundantly clear. Well I could have told you before reading any more of your posts that it wouldn't seem unfair to YOU. You're all about double-standards and not being realistic in regards to SF in Philly comparisons. Sour grapes?
Double standard? SMH!

Quote:
You can (and apparently will) believe WHATEVER you want, and Nexis's preferred hobbies are irrelevant. What he presented was about as fair and balanced as what Fox News presents, and I spoke up about it. Deal with it.
I could be wrong, but I believe nexis4newjersey works for NJT. This would explain why he always enjoys comparing transit options. Also, thanks the fox news comment, I enjoy watching that program.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:07 PM

23 posts, read 45,627 times
San Francisco <3

Philly is ok.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The difference between Philly and SF, I think, is this:

8 miles away from Center City (19144) the pop. density is 12,324 according to C-D. This is Germantown.

9 miles from Center City (19119) the density drops to 5,208. This is West Mount Airy, which is really the "suburbs" of the city limits. East Mount Airy, which is more working-class, has a density of 9,386.

7 miles from Center City (19151) the pop. density is 9,708. This is Overbrook. I think this figure is wrong because there's no way Germantown is denser than Overbrook.
Good info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm not familar enough with San Francisco to do the same thing, but what is the density like once you get away from the core?
Well it kind of varies from city to city (as I'd assume the Philly suburbs likely do as well to some degree), but going off Google Maps definition of 8 miles away from downtown SF, Oakland is about 7,000/sq mi and Daly City is about 13,000/sq mi. (Daly City IMO shouldn't really be considered to be 8 miles from SF considering it borders it directly and much of it is more of an extension of SF than a suburb, but I included it to stay consistent.) Since technically Oakland borders SF (on the Bay Bridge, not physically) we could also use Emeryville as an example which has 8,090/sq mi.

9 miles from downtown are South SF (6,961/sq mi) and Berkeley (10,783/sq mi).

Getting a little further out, 11 miles from from downtown SF Alameda has 7,300/sq mi, Albany has 10,368/sq mi, and San Bruno has 7,500/sq mi.

It really depends on where you look exactly because it can fluctuate a bit from city to city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City