Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like best
Cleveland 27 23.68%
Columbus 14 12.28%
Pittsburgh 52 45.61%
Indianapolis 21 18.42%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:06 PM

869 posts, read 1,277,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
A quick shout out to a new video from Case Western Reserve University's School of Law -- came out last week:

Cleveland's Case Western Reserve University School of Law - YouTube
COOL video!!

Thanks.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:35 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf_1832 View Post
I still think there is a disconnect with what is "diverse." Cleveland for example has large numbers of Jewish, Polish, Ukrainian, Croatian, Italian, Hungarian, Slovenian, Slovak, Czech, Serbian, Romanian...however, they all show up on the census as "white."

Pittsburgh is very similar is this regard.

I'm not saying the other metros don't have these old ethnic populations (especially since Indy and Columbus's population continues to increase), but this is what helps give Cleveland it's unique feel...and the census numbers above does not reflect any of this.

For example:

1) Jewish people populations by metro:
Cleveland: 81500
Pittsburgh: 42000
Columbus: 22000
Indianapolis: 10000

2) Pittsburgh and Cleveland have the highest Croatian populations in the country--behind only Chicago and NYC--as another example of "diversity" not being fully defined.

3) Pittsburgh and Cleveland have the highest Hungarian populations in the county outside of NYC.

4) Cleveland metro has 40% of the country's Slovenian Americans.

5) For Italians, Pittsburgh is 8th and Cleveland is 10th in the country.

What does the census say? Caucasian.
Here's my question: Out of all of those nationalities, are we talking simply about where people's ancestry comes from or is that culture actually showing up as part of a city's culture? Americans in general are mutts, their ancestry coming from all over the world. That doesn't mean a white person with Croatian ancestry is going to be in any way anything other than a typical American who just happens to have a Croatian background.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:42 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,150,425 times
Quote:
I still think there is a disconnect with what is "diverse." Cleveland for example has large numbers of Jewish, Polish, Ukrainian, Croatian, Italian, Hungarian, Slovenian, Slovak, Czech, Serbian, Romanian...however, they all show up on the census as "white."

Pittsburgh is very similar is this regard.

I'm not saying the other metros don't have these old ethnic populations (especially since Indy and Columbus's population continues to increase), but this is what helps give Cleveland it's unique feel...and the census numbers above does not reflect any of this.

For example:

1) Jewish people populations by metro:
Cleveland: 81500
Pittsburgh: 42000
Columbus: 22000
Indianapolis: 10000

2) Pittsburgh and Cleveland have the highest Croatian populations in the country--behind only Chicago and NYC--as another example of "diversity" not being fully defined.

3) Pittsburgh and Cleveland have the highest Hungarian populations in the county outside of NYC.

4) Cleveland metro has 40% of the country's Slovenian Americans.

5) Pittsburgh and Cleveland have the highest Slovak population in the country.

6) For Italians, Pittsburgh is 8th and Cleveland is 10th in the country.

What does the census say? Caucasian.
I never realized Cleveland had such a large Jewish population. That seems somehwat unusual for the Midwest and a mid sized metro area. But while we may not speak any of the languages of the ancestries noted above, you will still find some ethnic stores, churches, and the foods of the Polish, Italians, Hungarians, Solvaks, etc are common in both cities in a way that you will not find in many other parts of the country.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:09 PM

869 posts, read 1,277,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Here's my question: Out of all of those nationalities, are we talking simply about where people's ancestry comes from or is that culture actually showing up as part of a city's culture? Americans in general are mutts, their ancestry coming from all over the world. That doesn't mean a white person with Croatian ancestry is going to be in any way anything other than a typical American who just happens to have a Croatian background.
City's culture? Absolutely:

Museums:
Cleveland Hungarian Museum Cleveland Hungarian Heritage Museum In Cleveland, Ohio - Ohio.com
Cleveland Urkainian Museum Ukrainian Museum-Archives, Cleveland, Ohio
Cleveland Cultural Gardens: http://www.culturalgardens.org/ (with TONS of events happening at each ethnic place)

Food:
- Polish: Sokolowski's:

Bourdain no rez Cleveland Sokolowski's - YouTube
- Hungarian: Balaton Balaton Restaurant
- Italian: over 20 Italian restaurants in Little Italy Restaurants, Cafes, Bakeries & Bars | Cleveland Little Italy
- Ukrainian
- Slovienian
- Vietnamese/Cambodian

Churches still speaking in native languages:
Polish
Ukrianian
Slovenian
Hungarian
Greek
Spanish

Nieghborhoods:
Little Italy LITTLE ITALY CLEVELAND - Little Italy an urban neighborhood
Slavic Village http://slavicvillage.org/
Urkainian Village St. Vladimir Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral - Home Ukrainian Village In Parma Ohio | Facebook
Asiatown: http://www.asiatowncleveland.com/
Beachwood (Jewish)
Near Westside (Puerto Rican)
Eastlake (Croatian)

Ethnic Festivals:
Romanian
Greeks
Ukrainian
Hungarian
Puerto Rican
Polish
Italian....etc...tired of typing

Here's some decent info on locations and the active communities: http://cleveland.about.com/od/living...icheritage.htm

I think you need to come up to Cleveland more and explore before writing it off...

Last edited by usaf_1832; 09-06-2011 at 08:29 PM..

Old 09-06-2011, 09:18 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
City's culture? Absolutely:

Museums:
Cleveland Hungarian Museum Cleveland Hungarian Heritage Museum In Cleveland, Ohio - Ohio.com
Cleveland Urkainian Museum Ukrainian Museum-Archives, Cleveland, Ohio
Cleveland Cultural Gardens: Cleveland Cultural Gardens (with TONS of events happening at each ethnic place)

Food:
- Polish: Sokolowski's:

Bourdain no rez Cleveland Sokolowski's - YouTube
- Hungarian: Balaton Balaton Restaurant
- Italian: over 20 Italian restaurants in Little Italy Restaurants, Cafes, Bakeries & Bars | Cleveland Little Italy
- Ukrainian
- Slovienian
- Vietnamese/Cambodian

Churches still speaking in native languages:
Polish
Ukrianian
Slovenian
Hungarian
Greek
Spanish

Nieghborhoods:
Little Italy LITTLE ITALY CLEVELAND - Little Italy an urban neighborhood
Slavic Village http://slavicvillage.org/
Urkainian Village St. Vladimir Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral - Home Ukrainian Village In Parma Ohio | Facebook
Asiatown: http://www.asiatowncleveland.com/
Beachwood (Jewish)
Near Westside (Puerto Rican)
Eastlake (Croatian)

Ethnic Festivals:
Romanian
Greeks
Ukrainian
Hungarian
Puerto Rican
Polish
Italian....etc...tired of typing

Here's some decent info on locations and the active communities: Cleveland's Ethnic Heritage -- The People that Built Cleveland

I think you need to come up to Cleveland more and explore before writing it off...
Where did I write it off? It was a legitimate question, as there is a difference between having a certain ancestry and having that ancestry be a big enough factor to influence culture.

That said, what is the future for these cultural amenities considering Cleveland's overall white population continues to fall? I assume that the ethnic populations are part of the decline, but maybe not. Do you have any information on this?

Old 09-07-2011, 10:23 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbus76 View Post
The statistics do say Columbus and Indianapolis are just about as "diverse" as Cleveland - Pittsburgh not so much. Cleveland's CSA is 25.0% minority, the Indianapolis CSA is 23.1% minority, Columbus CSA is 22.3% and Pittsburgh's CSA is 12.7% minority. I don't see much spread between those top 3. I think by 2020, the Indy and Columbus regions will be more diverse than Cleveland due to the high Asian and Hispanic growth in those cities.

Cleveland-Akron's minority population high among Ohio metros, low nationally: Statistical Snapshot | cleveland.com
Diversity to me is more than hispanics, blacks and asians...what about polish, irish, lithuanian, ukranians, romanians, italians etc. Where is Indy's Little Italy?
Or Columbus's Chinatown?

Old 09-07-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Where did I write it off? It was a legitimate question, as there is a difference between having a certain ancestry and having that ancestry be a big enough factor to influence culture.

That said, what is the future for these cultural amenities considering Cleveland's overall white population continues to fall? I assume that the ethnic populations are part of the decline, but maybe not. Do you have any information on this?
Most have moved to suburban areas; Italians in Mayfield, Lake County; Irish west side city/west suburbs. Watch "Kill the Irishman" and you will plainly see that this movie could only take place in Cleveland...and not Indy or Cbus.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
The mutts are in places like Cbus and Indy; not in Cleveland. Sounds like you were born and raised in central Ohio...so you don't get the ''ethnic thing'' which separates places like Cleveland from Cbus/Indy in that regard.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I never realized Cleveland had such a large Jewish population. That seems somehwat unusual for the Midwest and a mid sized metro area. But while we may not speak any of the languages of the ancestries noted above, you will still find some ethnic stores, churches, and the foods of the Polish, Italians, Hungarians, Solvaks, etc are common in both cities in a way that you will not find in many other parts of the country.
Cleveland has a large eastern European immigration history hence the large number of Jews...I've stated this before, Cleveland is more eastern-centric in its history than midwest. The big three groups (Irish/Italians/Jews) are present in Cleveland much like cities in the east/east coast.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
There are already 200,000+ and the AA population is up about 25% since 2000. Hispanics are up 153%. Asians are up over 60%. There doesn't seem to be an issue.
You just don't get it...which is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City