Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 05:11 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,857,456 times

Advertisements

Based on places I've lived in or spent lots of time in, I'd say...

Lake Merritt/Piedmont/Rockridge, Oakland, CA - lived, 1 year
Berkeley, CA - spent lots of time in over the course of 3 years
Cambridge, MA - lived, 6 years
Santa Cruz, CA - visited many times
Portland, OR - visited many times

I'm torn on wheher I'd actually say that Venice, CA, is one of the "best" - after having lived in Venice for 3 years, I wouldn't necessarily say that it's one of the best, though I really loved living there and have already gone back to socialize and part . It has a lot going for it in terms of amenities, architecture, culture, the beach, etc, but it's also got more pitfalls socially speaking than the above cities... more issues with gangs, crime, etc. than the above areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 05:24 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Based on places I've lived in or spent lots of time in, I'd say...

Lake Merritt/Piedmont/Rockridge, Oakland, CA - lived, 1 year
Berkeley, CA - spent lots of time in over the course of 3 years
Cambridge, MA - lived, 6 years
Santa Cruz, CA - visited many times
Portland, OR - visited many times

I'm torn on wheher I'd actually say that Venice, CA, is one of the "best" - after having lived in Venice for 3 years, I wouldn't necessarily say that it's one of the best, though I really loved living there and have already gone back to socialize and part . It has a lot going for it in terms of amenities, architecture, culture, the beach, etc, but it's also got more pitfalls socially speaking than the above cities... more issues with gangs, crime, etc. than the above areas.

Love how most the "liberal" areas you listed are fairly homogeneous and mostly affluent. I thought liberal areas were supposed to be inclusive.

If you want true liberal, check out the Hollywood area (not just West Hollywood ).

Old 08-20-2011, 05:39 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,252 times
Midtown - Sacramento

Old 08-20-2011, 07:10 PM

25 posts, read 52,341 times
Here in Buffalo, it's the Elmwood Village neighborhood. Lots of young people and a great energy to the area, especially during the summer.

Elmwood Village - Buffalo New York - YouTube

Old 08-20-2011, 07:35 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,857,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Love how most the "liberal" areas you listed are fairly homogeneous and mostly affluent. I thought liberal areas were supposed to be inclusive.
That was kind of unnecessarily antagonistic

The areas I listed are all pretty inclusive, and I know this from the time I've spent there. No one said that a place had to be an even split of people singing "It's A Small World" in twenty different languages while munching granola to classify as "liberal."

Regardless,

Lake Merritt/Piedmont/Rockridge: not very homogenous. Anecdotally... my friends who live around there are all either black, Asian, Jewish, Hispanic, or in interracial relationships. Lots of Africans around Lake Merritt, a visible hispanic minority, and plenty of Asians.

Berkeley is 50% white as a whole and pretty evenly split from there among other races. My high school had a massive number of Caribbean, Central American, and black kids with a smaller FOB Asian population, and there was a pretty minimal amount of racial tension; there were also numerous ethnic enclaves within the city.

Santa Cruz - I'll give you that, but really, so what? It's a nice place, and largely middle-class.

Portland, OR - not exactly affluent by nature either. Mostly white, sure... but a fun place with a great performing arts and dining scene.

Quote:
If you want true liberal, check out the Hollywood area (not just West Hollywood ).
Yeah, Hollywood's cool and I get out to the clubs/bars/venues often enough, it's just not one of my personal favorite areas.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:46 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,651,391 times
No NYC neighborhoods mentioned at all? Not even the village? Too obvious I guess.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:32 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
No NYC neighborhoods mentioned at all? Not even the village? Too obvious I guess.
Everything below 14th St. minus FiDi/Wall St.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:35 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,589,470 times
Haight-Ashbury is pretty much ground zero. It's about an 11/10 on the Liberal scale. (click to enlarge...it's almost like you're standing there.)

Old 08-20-2011, 09:02 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,533,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post

its CD, they think nyc is times square

Old 08-20-2011, 09:31 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,649,042 times
Portland, ME is also pretty nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City