Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 10:01 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes and Im still waiting to find out about anywhere 12 miles from Downtown Philadelphia that is even hybridesque?

And that's my point, Philadephia is larger than San Francisco but its Metro Area is not more 'city' than the Bay Area. Not in person, not on paper, not in statistics and not in maps.

Ive already made the case for that more than sufficiently.

Furthermore, San Francisco is the de facto center of the megalopolis that surrounds it:

Um I identified at least 7 different locales prior. Areas of Wilminton, Trenton, West Chester, Doylsetown etc.

And not larger. Then tell me why the QUANTITATIVE footprint of continuously developed 10K plus density is 200sq miles here and 140 sq miles there, or do you dismiss this as well. Maybe you will add up 100K income areas to prove some stupid point

Whatever dude. I am by no means the only one who sees Philly as larger this way. And many more not from either area feel this way based on what i have seen in this thread.

Is Philly not the defacto center? What is that point?

Sufficiently for whom, yourself, proud of you

And on your points not in person, not on paper I am really starting wonder one how much Philly experience you really have and two on paper it absolutely is shown to have a 33% larger CITY footprint. You are delusional with anything that has the Bay/SF in it seriously.

Keep putting up the 5K ppsm maps, Yes we agree the burbs are denser, I will state again this is a city comparison not suburb based on what i can tell and on metro there are aspects of both that make each feel larger, not sure there is a clear cut answer really. I mean your stats add Santa Rosa etc. Ok yes in the region but feeling extreme continuous connectiviuty, not so much, or napa, gorgeous but more like a jewel to be appreciated, which other areas have too.

Seriously SF is nicer overall in the city, I agree, a great asset, is vibrant etc. as a city it feels and IS much smaller, sorry I know you and none of the Bay area folks can fathom this as it seems aggrecious to suggest that philly could somehow best SF on something. Grow up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 10:15 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Um I identified at least 7 different locales prior. Areas of Wilminton, Trenton, West Chester, Doylsetown etc.
Those are anomolies surrounded by miles of undense suburbia.

The Bay Area is consistently dense for a larger area. Its not debatable.

Quote:
And not larger. Then tell me why the QUANTITATIVE footprint of continuously developed 10K plus density is 200sq miles here and 140 sq miles there, or do you dismiss this as well.
And once you leave that compact 200 sq miles what do you have?

Forested suburbs with enormous yards.

Quote:
And many more not from either area feel this way based on what i have seen in this thread.
Yes, others who don't know.

Quote:
Is Philly not the defacto center? What is that point?
That SF is 'The City' for a far bigger regional population than Philadelphia can ever be sinced its sandwiched in between NY and DC.

Quote:
And on your points not in person, not on paper I am really starting wonder one how much Philly experience you really have and two on paper it absolutely is shown to have a 33% larger CITY footprint. You are delusional with anything that has the Bay/SF in it seriously.
Delusion implies that one is out of touch with reality, but I dont make statements that I cant back up.

On the other hand, it was you who felt the need to force Philly down our throats because you were incredilous that I think the Boston CSA is more spread out than the Philly CSA--which it IS btw.

Quote:
Grow up
Look in the mirror.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:22 AM

=
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly
the QUANTITATIVE footprint of continuously developed 10K plus density is 200sq miles .
This claim is most likely inaccurate.

Even within Philadelphia proper, there are plenty of neighborhoods with less than 10,000+ppsm
http://www.city-data.com/nbmaps/neig...nsylvania.html

So please list all the neighborhoods that add up to 200 square miles of contiguously developed 10,000+ density.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:28 AM

928 posts, read 1,712,776 times
Another thing that Monclair seems to be missing is that population density is not the sole measurement of which place feels more like a "city." I know we're discussing a concept here that's fairly difficult to define concretely, but I would think we all have the same general idea about what a big city looks and feels like. So Berkeley, CA might have a relatively high population density. And? Torrance, CA has a larger person/per sq mile density than Dallas, and I don't think anyone in their right mind would argue it feels like more of a "big city." Lots of these little suburbs of SF may have a higher density when combined, but they don't look or feel urban at all. Berkeley looks like a quaint college town because, well, it is.

Philly has a far more urban-looking landscape than anything in the SF Bay Area, including the city of SF itself.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Philly has a far more urban-looking landscape than anything in the SF Bay Area, including the city of SF itself.
Philadelphia is also better for motorists cause they have all those huge parking lots right in the heart of downtown.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
2) LA
3) Chicago (though to be honest, if you flipped 2 and 3, I wouldn't care, as they're very close)
LAs main cluster of 5,000+ppsm appears to be a bit larger than Chicago's main cluster.

LA and Chicago To Scale:

Old 08-24-2011, 11:19 AM

Who cares about the suburbs? I'm talking about the city of Los Angeles vs the City of Chicago. I don't care how many people and restaurants are in Cicero.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:21 AM

381 posts, read 861,887 times
Quote:
Another thing that Monclair seems to be missing is that population density is not the sole measurement of which place feels more like a "city." I know we're discussing a concept here that's fairly difficult to define concretely, but I would think we all have the same general idea about what a big city looks and feels like. So Berkeley, CA might have a relatively high population density. And? Torrance, CA has a larger person/per sq mile density than Dallas, and I don't think anyone in their right mind would argue it feels like more of a "big city." Lots of these little suburbs of SF may have a higher density when combined, but they don't look or feel urban at all. Berkeley looks like a quaint college town because, well, it is.

Berkeley does not feel like a quaint college town. It is by every measure urban:

bars - Google Maps

bars - Google Maps

Old 08-24-2011, 11:23 AM

381 posts, read 861,887 times
Quote:

Could not disagree more.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Philadelphia is also better for motorists cause they have all those huge parking lots right in the heart of downtown.
Yup, thats Center City, all right. A massive expanse of parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldojernkins View Post
Berkeley does not feel like a quaint college town. It is by every measure urban:

bars - Google Maps

bars - Google Maps
What are you trying to prove here? That Berkeley has a lot of bars? Fantastic, so does Mankato, Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City