Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 01:16 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Not sure why a bunch of highlighted maps are supposed to support what city "feels" bigger. Here's my vote for biggest feeling cities:

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. LA
4. Philly
5. SF
6. Boston
7. DC

This!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 01:21 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,661,088 times
That seems to be all you do, laugh at other people for failing to see how right you are. For some reason, some people just don't see the same thing you do in those purple blob maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
LOL...your the one suddenly trying to simultaneously extol the virtues of low density suburbia while delegitimizing higher density suburbia, but Im the one trying to make a drink look larger.

Laughable.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:33 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
That seems to be all you do, laugh at other people for failing to see how right you are. For some reason, some people just don't see the same thing you do in those purple blob maps.
Oh no, we all see the same thing, except your saying that 1,000+persons per square mile is a better gage of size than 5,000+persons per square mile, and I believe just the opposite.

I can agree to disagree, can you?

Old 08-24-2011, 01:45 PM

617 posts, read 1,423,223 times
I can drive around philly in any direction for miles and miles and still feel you're in a metropolis, this is the main difference between Philly and SF.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:49 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
To Scale Maps showing the principal clusters of 5,000+ppsm of the following cities:
Washington D.C. may be the only city other than NYC that has focused its density along transit corridors. Low density remains in non-transit corridors. This map shows that more than ever when taking into account the Metro lines and where density is located across the metro. The Silver Metro Line will be the final piece integrating density around transit. Looking at that map and where development is explains why we have about 1,000,000 people riding Metro daily. That's where they live and with future development being concentrated along Metro Lines region wide, ridership will continue to rise especially since DC gives you the option to live without a car way into the suburbs unlike commuter rail suburbs in other cites.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 08-24-2011 at 01:58 PM..

Old 08-24-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
I can drive around philly in any direction for miles and miles and still feel you're in a metropolis
There is no arguing that Philadelphia proper is larger than SF proper. That is a given.

But you mention driving---well, if you drove from one end to another of the respective contiguous clusters of 5,000+ persons per square mile in each area, the drive in the Bay Area would be almost twice as long.

Woodlyne, PA to Bristol, PA 35.7: Miles
vs.
Richmond, CA to McKean Rd, San Jose, CA: 70.9 Miles

Philadelphia & San Francisco To Scale:

Old 08-24-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Washington D.C. may be the only city other than NYC that has focused its density along transit corridors. Low density remains in non-transit corridors. This map shows that more than ever when taking into account the Metro lines and where density is located across the metro. The Silver Metro Line will be the final piece integrating density around transit. Looking at that map and where development is explains why we have about 1,000,000 people riding Metro daily. That's where they live and with future development being concentrated along Metro Lines region wide, ridership will continue to rise especially since DC gives you the option to live without a car way into the suburbs unlike commuter rail suburbs in other cites.
I really, really, REALLY like the DC Area's TODs. Its like a bunch of downtowns and that is excellent. I wish we had the political will to replicate that here.

And you can bet the pay off in the long run will be incredible as far as helping to create more density in surrounding areas.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:19 PM

928 posts, read 1,712,776 times
Are you going to tell me with a straight face that Campbell, CA has a big city feel to you?

Old 08-24-2011, 02:32 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
I really, really, REALLY like the DC Area's TODs. Its like a bunch of downtowns and that is excellent. I wish we had the political will to replicate that here.

And you can bet the pay off in the long run will be incredible as far as helping to create more density in surrounding areas.
Thank you! I love it too. It's like the anti-sprawl. Now that the Metropolitan Council of Governments which is basically the governing development body for the region has made TOD the priority, most of the development and jobs will be located along Metro Lines now. I think it's great DC is focusing development with the region in mind to curve sprawl and pollution. We can't change the past but we can sure change the future. With the streetcar and light rail connections coming region wide, I think DC's transit numbers are going to skyrocket as more people go car-less in the region. Capital Bike Share is booming also and they are preparing to expand into the suburbs along metro lines. DC is becoming more green everyday.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Are you going to tell me with a straight face that Campbell, CA has a big city feel to you?
Campbell is not part of the 5,000+ppsm cluster.

But since you mentioned it,

Campbell, its 50 Miles from Downtown SF:

50 miles from Downtown Philadelphia looks like is this:

And that's being generous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City