Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 01:22 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
LA 99.1 percent?
Absolute poppycock if you ask me.
Says the guy trapped in Orange County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 12:09 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
And yet they still want to keep jacking fares up up up...
I haven't heard of a CTA fare hike in the works.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:23 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Did you notice that train ridership is up huge on the CTA over last year? I'm curious why.
Had they been doing lots of repairs? When lines are often closed on weekends and nights, it drags down ridership because people start to see them as unreliable. Once repairs are finished, ridership climbs back to normal.

I'm surprised that Chicago is so high. I had been predicting that LA would catch Chicago by 2025, but that was based on Chicago staying flat or nearly flat. The CTA will now need to lose riders for LACMTA to catch it.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:30 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Had they been doing lots of repairs? When lines are often closed on weekends and nights, it drags down ridership because people start to see them as unreliable. Once repairs are finished, ridership climbs back to normal.

I'm surprised that Chicago is so high. I had been predicting that LA would catch Chicago by 2025, but that was based on Chicago staying flat or nearly flat. The CTA will now need to lose riders for LACMTA to catch it.
The L's expansion plans and possibilities include extensions of existing heavy railes lines, the conversion of a commuter rail to heavy rail, and a heavy rail circle line that would add stops and allow completely different commute patterns--these are a lot more ambitious, I feel, than LA's which focuses less on heavy rail and more on light rail. So if CTA gets going on those plans, then it would probably leave a lot of the other cities in the dust (especially the circle line). Unfortunately, they don't have dedicated funding for most of these lines and Chicago's population seems to be more or less stagnant, so who knows.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:43 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The L's expansion plans and possibilities include extensions of existing heavy railes lines, the conversion of a commuter rail to heavy rail, and a heavy rail circle line that would add stops and allow completely different commute patterns--these are a lot more ambitious, I feel, than LA's which focuses less on heavy rail and more on light rail. So if CTA gets going on those plans, then it would probably leave a lot of the other cities in the dust (especially the circle line). Unfortunately, they don't have dedicated funding for most of these lines and Chicago's population seems to be more or less stagnant, so who knows.
Heavy rail makes a lot of sense for Chicago, but in some areas maybe light rail might make sense. Are there any light rail advocates in Chicago? Even NYC has quite a few. Especially on Staten Island where they want to connect to the HBLR. Also in Queens and even in Manhattan.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:12 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I haven't heard of a CTA fare hike in the works.
They just floated a trial balloon that included serious fare hikes. Metra just jaked theirs up pretty substantially. To be fair, much if not most of that is attributable to state budget shortfalls. But it's still kind of aggravating.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:26 PM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
They just floated a trial balloon that included serious fare hikes. Metra just jaked theirs up pretty substantially. To be fair, much if not most of that is attributable to state budget shortfalls. But it's still kind of aggravating.
the MBTA was suppose to raise fares, but for now they are putting the surplus snow removal money that wasn't used in the the MBTA.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:28 PM

877 posts, read 2,012,427 times
LA with the biggest? I find that so hard to believe since people mostly have cars. I have honestly never seen any subways there, just buses. If I'm not mistaken, NYC has the largest public transportation system in the US?

Old 03-04-2012, 07:36 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
LA with the biggest? I find that so hard to believe since people mostly have cars. I have honestly never seen any subways there, just buses. If I'm not mistaken, NYC has the largest public transportation system in the US?
Last I checked buses are public transit. There are two subway lines and four light rail lines in LA.
Reread the article... It simply says in the LA metro area nearly everyone has access to PT, more than any other MSA. It doesn't say LA has the best, that is obviously NY.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:45 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post

Nope, nothing significant. Looks like real growth in ridership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City