Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 12:17 PM

140 posts, read 676,955 times

Advertisements

I recently visited Santa Cruz, CA. I admire their political stance on a lot of issues; they are tolerant of diversity, kind to the homeless, against expansion, very liberal (although perhaps a little to slacking on gang issues.) I like the abundance of health food stores! Wow! Impressive. But the city is a little bit gritty and some people seemed socially odd, removed psychologically making no eye contact, not smiling. I'm fine with hippies but when they're in their own little world and sort of anti-social, I wonder what's going on with them. So Santa Cruz has its pros and cons.

I will be visiting Santa Fe and Flagstaff next month. To those of you who have visited or lived in both Santa Cruz and Santa Fe or Flagstaff, how would you compare them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 01:36 PM

10,755 posts, read 23,836,665 times
The way you described the hippies in Santa Cruz sounds a lot like the ones I've encountered in Oregon. I think the pot smoking passive aggressive mindset has a lot to do with it.

I haven't experienced Flagstaff (though I'd love to) but I have been to Santa Fe. It's different than any other city I've experienced and sort of marches to its own drum beat. The city has a strict uniform architectural code of adobe revival. A lot of it is very faux but still pretty cool nonetheless. Artistry is everywhere! Lots of art galleries, a very vibrant creative class, the hippies there are a bit older and the city has been very gentrified with a lot of money. Trust fundies like to hang out there, eclectic old ladies draped in turquoise jewelry, and there is a very palpable sense of new agey spirituality in Santa Fe. New Mexico, including Santa Fe also has a very large Native American influence, which I thought was pretty cool. I thought most places I went in New Mexico were pretty friendly. You may encounter a random pretentious snob in Santa Fe here and there but I didn't find the place anti-social at all. It's a really neat city, I'd definitely go back again. Oh yeah and the food there is awesome. Be prepared to answer the question; red or green chiles?

Old 09-06-2011, 03:02 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,625,231 times
No mention of the waterfront amusement park in Santa Cruz?

Old 09-07-2011, 04:47 PM

Thanks for your input, caphille! I'm really looking forward to Santa Fe!!

rm2, I know some people have strong attachments to the boardwalk amusement park because of childhood memories or otherwise, but I think the place is a blight on the landscape. I was really turned off by it. It's an area I would usually avoid.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:44 PM

4,603 posts, read 6,371,820 times
The Boardwalk...whew...I remember swimming in "The Plunge"....how far back does that go ?

I'd take SC over the other two...

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-07-2011, 05:54 PM

10,755 posts, read 23,836,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecondHalf View Post
Thanks for your input, caphille! I'm really looking forward to Santa Fe!!
Your welcome. How long will you be there for? There are a lot of awesome road trips and side excursions from Santa Fe.

I highly reccomend a visit to Ojo Caliente Mineral Hot Springs, about an hour north of SF. It's divine! (also very affordable, day pass is $12)
New Mexico Hot Springs | New Mexico Spas | New Mexico Resort | Southwest Spa | Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort & Spa | 800.222.9162

Also Taos is very beautiful, so is the ride from SF going up to Taos, just breathtaking scenery. One of those memories that still tugs at my heartstrings.

The museums in Santa Fe are definitely also well worth your time.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 09-07-2011 at 06:08 PM..

Old 09-11-2011, 04:26 PM

I'll be in the Southwest (AZ, NM and CO) for 16 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City