Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is Richmond More Like?
Savannah 45 56.25%
Washington DC 35 43.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 06:49 PM

77 posts, read 152,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's because you're basing your judgment on a small historic district in Richmond (and these districts are invariably populated by the upper crust of society) that's not a good cross-section of the city's housing stock.

This is typical of what I see in Richmond.

Richmond, VA - Google Maps

This is typical of what I see in Columbia.

columbia, sc - Google Maps

This is typical of what I see in Washington, DC, where I currently live.

washington, dc - Google Maps

And this is typical of what I see in Baltimore.

Baltimore, MD - Google Maps

To me, Richmond looks a lot more like Columbia than it does Baltimore or DC.
Ok, I see. I didn't know Richmond was that big, I thought those districts took up half the city. At least you cleared it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 11:48 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
After thinking about it, I think it can said that Richmond is like a larger Winston-Salem, NC.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:40 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
After thinking about it, I think it can said that Richmond is like a larger Winston-Salem, NC.
I've been to Winston-Salem twice. Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, W-S, Petersburg, Hampton and Richmond all feel and look alike to me. The only differences I really noted:

-I thought the southern accents were much, much stronger in North Carolina than in South Carolina and Virginia

-Columbia has a lot of black people. It seemed rougher and more urban than Raleigh and Winston-Salem, especially around the Benedict College area

-Richmond is noticeably larger than the other cities.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:50 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Quote:
That's because you're basing your judgment on a small historic district in Richmond (and these districts are invariably populated by the upper crust of society) that's not a good cross-section of the city's housing stock.

I'm not sure if I agree with this or disagree. Richmond has a pretty varied housing stock. It has hundreds of blocks of rowhouses, but then you get to bungalows and colonials in some places, then you get into McMansions further out. It's probably not too different from other cities, except that there's a good amount of each type of housing. The city is about 60 sq./miles, so the counties certainly have more population and area...which is where most of the non-rowhouse/non-bungalow-type housing exists. However, I consider the city of Richmond to be largely where the city is defined (again, not really uncommon).

I do think that Raleigh feels considerably different, mainly because Richmond was a good sized city back when rowhouses and bungalows were fashionable; Raleigh got larger in an autocentric world. Richmond's downtown and city neighborhoods feel much larger IMO.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:56 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I'm not sure if I agree with this or disagree. Richmond has a pretty varied housing stock. It has hundreds of blocks of rowhouses, but then you get to bungalows and colonials in some places, then you get into McMansions further out. It's probably not too different from other cities, except that there's a good amount of each type of housing. The city is about 60 sq./miles, so the counties certainly have more population and area...which is where most of the non-rowhouse/non-bungalow-type housing exists. However, I consider the city of Richmond to be largely where the city is defined (again, not really uncommon).

I do think that Raleigh feels considerably different, mainly because Richmond was a good sized city back when rowhouses and bungalows were fashionable; Raleigh got larger in an autocentric world. Richmond's downtown and city neighborhoods feel much larger IMO.
Don't you think that's overstating things a bit? I'd say that DC has "hundreds of blocks of rowhouses," which is still kinda paltry compared to Philly, which is completely dominated by the rowhouse. Richmond has a section of town with rowhouses similar to how Annapolis and Alexandria have a section of town with rowhouses. The rowhouse in Richmond is by far the exception, not the rule.

People on C-D tend to exaggerate quite a bit. I'm still looking for the tens of thousands of rowhouses in St. Louis the poster Slengel was telling me about. I asked my friend who was born and raised in St. Louis about that last week and he replied, "Huh?"

Old 09-19-2011, 03:51 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
I've been to Winston-Salem twice. Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, W-S, Petersburg, Hampton and Richmond all feel and look alike to me.
Really? I've been to all those cities except Petersburg and Hampton (been to Norfolk though) and there's no way that I can say that they feel alike. Not necessarily a drastic difference, but not "alike" either. But I said Richmond could go for a larger Winston-Salem because they both lie somewhat centrally within the Piedmont and the urban fabric within their cores are more similar (a bit denser and more industrial) than Richmond and Columbia.

Quote:
The only differences I really noted:

-I thought the southern accents were much, much stronger in North Carolina than in South Carolina and Virginia
Interesting. I'd say that SC probably has the stronger Southern accent due to less transplants, especially compared to Raleigh.

Quote:
-Columbia has a lot of black people. It seemed rougher and more urban than Raleigh and Winston-Salem, especially around the Benedict College area
In Raleigh, the neighborhood surrounding St. Augustine's feels just as rough as the area around Benedict in Columbia, which has actually gotten a little better in terms of aesthetics with assistance from the HOPE IV grant.

Celia Saxon HOPE VI - Photo Album

Old 09-19-2011, 08:36 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Quote:
Don't you think that's overstating things a bit? I'd say that DC has "hundreds of blocks of rowhouses," which is still kinda paltry compared to Philly, which is completely dominated by the rowhouse. Richmond has a section of town with rowhouses similar to how Annapolis and Alexandria have a section of town with rowhouses. The rowhouse in Richmond is by far the exception, not the rule.

People on C-D tend to exaggerate quite a bit. I'm still looking for the tens of thousands of rowhouses in St. Louis the poster Slengel was telling me about. I asked my friend who was born and raised in St. Louis about that last week and he replied, "Huh?"
Actually, no, it's not an exaggeration. There's the Fan (Belvidere to Blvd, Broad to 195), Museum district (Blvd to 195 on the west side, Broad to 195 on the south side), Oregon Hill (195 to Oregon parkway, Belvidere to Cherry st), Jackson Ward (1st to Lombardy, Broad to Leigh St), Church Hill (18th to 35th, Main st to M or N street) and some other pockets like the other side of Carytown. Maybe you're counting square blocks or something, but I stand by the fact that there are hundreds of blocks of them.

How much experience do you have in Richmond? The core is actually pretty urban. Try counting the blocks.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:47 PM

797 posts, read 1,429,611 times
That pic of Richmond you chose could have been in D.C. it also wasnt fair to pick that single house out like there is notjust as many single homes in D.C.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:05 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:

the Baltimore map is places a block away from where my grandparents lived.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:17 PM

77 posts, read 152,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
In what way? Thanks AJNEOA for breaking down the city of Richmond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City