Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 12:23 PM

218 posts, read 840,135 times

Advertisements

Obviously the metros are of vastly different proportions, but the cities are actually very similar in size. I live in New Orleans, and for some reason I keep meeting people over and over again from the Minneapolis area. How do these cities compare in terms of cost of living, art, food, things to do, nightlife, friendliness, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 05:20 PM

148 posts, read 234,031 times
It all depends on what you want. Someone more familiar with Minneapolis could be more valuable to you here, but I do know New Orleans pretty well. New Orleans is a great city for the right person. Here would be my brief list of pros and cons --

Pros:

Entirely unique culture
Beautiful architecture
Interesting history (which the city does well to preserve)
Great nightlife (no, not the in the Quarter, but in the rest of the city)
No last call
Great food
Residents' pride in their city
Relaxed pace

Cons:

Slow to change (not socially, in particular, but more along the lines of the fact that construction that started months ago on a major road near my house looks like it hasn't been touched since then and portions of the road are shut down as a result).
Brutal summers
No real "seasons" (yes, it does cool down in the winter, but the trees don't change or anything -- everything looks the same as in summer, but just a little more dreary)
Expensive food
Crime
An extreme number of transplants (could be viewed as good or bad, but I personally don't like it)
Expensive housing
Not a great place to "raise a family"
Tourists

I could go on, but this is what comes to mind. I do think this is an interesting comparison, and I'd love to get some input from people who are familiar with both.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:56 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
There's not an extreme number of transplants. There's alot but not an extreme percentage like LA and NYC.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:13 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
cost of living - about the same
art - Minneapolis
food - New Orleans
things to do - tie
nightlife - New Orleans
friendliness - tie

Minneapolis has a lot more going on and we got a very vibrant Downtown plus Uptown is pretty vibrant, the crime rate is much lower than New Orleans, We do have brutal summers and winters however we take advantage of the hot summers by going out to the lake and during the winter were a quick drive away from ski/snowboard areas. Plus we do have the skyway system in both downtown Minneapolis and Saint Paul to protect us from the extreme temperatures and precipitation.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
cost of living - about the same
art - Minneapolis
food - New Orleans
things to do - tie
nightlife - New Orleans
friendliness - tie

Minneapolis has a lot more going on and we got a very vibrant Downtown plus Uptown is pretty vibrant, the crime rate is much lower than New Orleans, We do have brutal summers and winters however we take advantage of the hot summers by going out to the lake and during the winter were a quick drive away from ski/snowboard areas. Plus we do have the skyway system in both downtown Minneapolis and Saint Paul to protect us from the extreme temperatures and precipitation.
I've heard people say downtown Minny is slow. I've never been but why do some people say its dead and some say it's vibrant?

Old 11-29-2011, 08:52 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I've heard people say downtown Minny is slow. I've never been but why do some people say its dead and some say it's vibrant?
I mentioned my niece was there about a month (or so) ago (on a Saturday), and she said downtown was DEAD - only a few homeless people. She said it felt "surreal," to be in a medium-sized city with no one about.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I mentioned my niece was there about a month (or so) ago (on a Saturday), and she said downtown was DEAD - only a few homeless people. She said it felt "surreal," to be in a medium-sized city with no one about.
It all depends where you are and when your there. During the weekend i notice more people in Uptown than Downtown. There seems to always be people in Nicollet mall (a street in downtown) And in the skyways.

When its dark on a weekend everyone goes to Hennepin Ave / 1st Ave where all the Bars and Clubs are.

Other neighborhoods in the area that you'll see alot going on with people walking around are intersection of 50th and France in Minneapolis/Edina; Grand Avenue in Summit Hill, Saint Paul; Downtown Saint Paul doesnt have much going on but everyone is in the Skyway

Old 11-29-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
It all depends where you are and when your there. During the weekend i notice more people in Uptown than Downtown. There seems to always be people in Nicollet mall (a street in downtown) And in the skyways.

When its dark on a weekend everyone goes to Hennepin Ave / 1st Ave where all the Bars and Clubs are.

Other neighborhoods in the area that you'll see alot going on with people walking around are intersection of 50th and France in Minneapolis/Edina; Grand Avenue in Summit Hill, Saint Paul; Downtown Saint Paul doesnt have much going on but everyone is in the Skyway
I Googled Hennepin and Lake Ave a few minutes ago, looks like Uptown would be a lively neighborhood.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I Googled Hennepin and Lake Ave a few minutes ago, looks like Uptown would be a lively neighborhood.
Yea it sure is. Its a must if your ever in town, Do some shopping, take a walk to Lake Calhoun and grab something to eat. You have to really visit to get a good feel for the city. Its very easy to get around, Light Rail from the Airport to Downtown, Many Taxi's across town and Google Street View is nothing what Minneapolis is really like, the seemed to recorded Downtown on a Sunday lol

Old 11-29-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Yea it sure is. Its a must if your ever in town, Do some shopping, take a walk to Lake Calhoun and grab something to eat. You have to really visit to get a good feel for the city. Its very easy to get around, Light Rail from the Airport to Downtown, Many Taxi's across town and Google Street View is nothing what Minneapolis is really like, the seemed to recorded Downtown on a Sunday lol
Doubt I'd ever go, don't really have a reason to like family or friends. Although one of my friends did mention the skywalks on his visit. Some of the suburbs are similar to Uptown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City