Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 11:16 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times

Advertisements

According to this Houston is no where near the other 3.

GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2010

Of the American cities it goes

New York
Chicago
Los Angeles
San Fransisco
Washington
Miami
Boston
Dallas
Atlanta
Philadelphia
Houston

Old 11-04-2011, 11:54 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
Chicago has the food, an NFL team, and a Great Lake is far superior to salt water.
A Great Lake superior to the Pacific Ocean. That's comical. LA > Chicago for food as well, although that's close.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 11-05-2011 at 12:20 AM..

Old 11-05-2011, 02:11 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Until you try to swim in Lake Michigan in January...
I wouldn't swim in LA in the ocean in January either. So either way, I wouldn't be swimming in January. I wouldn't even swim in the ocean in July. I wouldn't swim in the ocean period.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
A Great Lake superior to the Pacific Ocean. That's comical. LA > Chicago for food as well, although that's close.
How is the ocean superior to a Great Lake? I'm a jet skier. I've jet skied both the ocean and lakes and rivers and I can tell you for a fact that the fresh water is better for my ski and it feels a lot more refreshing splashing you in the face than a big splash of disgusting, dirty ocean salt does.

Maybe you have surfing, although I bet you're not a surfer anyway, but that's all the ocean is good for.

As for food, there is no way in hell that LA has better food than Chicago. There is no Taste of LA and there is no food festival in LA that can be remotely compared to Taste of Chicago, which is the largest food festival in the world.

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 11-05-2011 at 02:32 AM..

Old 11-05-2011, 04:34 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:
How is the ocean superior to a Great Lake? I'm a jet skier. I've jet skied both the ocean and lakes and rivers and I can tell you for a fact that the fresh water is better for my ski and it feels a lot more refreshing splashing you in the face than a big splash of disgusting, dirty ocean salt does.

Maybe you have surfing, although I bet you're not a surfer anyway, but that's all the ocean is good for.

As for food, there is no way in hell that LA has better food than Chicago. There is no Taste of LA and there is no food festival in LA that can be remotely compared to Taste of Chicago, which is the largest food festival in the world.
Someone is actually trying to argue that Chicago's waterfront beats the Pacific G-damn Ocean. A Lake versus the largest body of water on Earth. Why stop there? Chicago has better mountains too. Better beaches. Better weather even. Might as well throw that out there since we've officially entered Fantasyland.

And yes way, L.A. can compete, and I believe beat, Chicago for food.

Chicago has some quality high end stuff (so does LA), but from the neck down everything points to L.A. being superior. The city is in the King Kong of agricultural states (5th biggest in the world) and has year round temperate climate. It has year-round quick access to fresh produce. Chicago, thanks to its harsh winters, does not. L.A. is the city with the most farmer's markets in the U.S., acity with arguably the most diverse population on Earth (over 3 million foreign born in L.A. County alone) and a city with the busiest port in the Western Hemisphere, a virtual gateway to the Far East. All these things play crucial roles in producing great food.

From the New York Times, of all places (we know how much they like to give L.A. props).

Feeding Frenzy - NYTimes.com

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 11-05-2011 at 05:18 AM..

Old 11-05-2011, 11:27 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
The GaWC list
- Is just one source (UK school)
- Seems to change each year
- NYC, Chicago and Los Angeles are in three different levels, not clumped together in one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
According to this Houston is no where near the other 3.
GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2010

Old 11-06-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Someone is actually trying to argue that Chicago's waterfront beats the Pacific G-damn Ocean. A Lake versus the largest body of water on Earth. Why stop there? Chicago has better mountains too. Better beaches. Better weather even. Might as well throw that out there since we've officially entered Fantasyland.
why are you bringing up mountains and weather? the point you are trying to make with that was a missed shot.

chicago does have better beaches unless you surf. you know why? salt water is sick. who wants to swim in that crap and swallow a mouth full of salt? it's disgusting. and like i said, i'm a jer skier. fresh water jet skiing requires less maintenance therefore it's better for my ski plus it's 100x more refreshing than a face full of salt water. i'll give you the surf and natural scenery in la, other than that, lake michigan is better.

Quote:
And yes way, L.A. can compete, and I believe beat, Chicago for food.

Chicago has some quality high end stuff (so does LA), but from the neck down everything points to L.A. being superior. The city is in the King Kong of agricultural states (5th biggest in the world) and has year round temperate climate. It has year-round quick access to fresh produce. Chicago, thanks to its harsh winters, does not. L.A. is the city with the most farmer's markets in the U.S., acity with arguably the most diverse population on Earth (over 3 million foreign born in L.A. County alone) and a city with the busiest port in the Western Hemisphere, a virtual gateway to the Far East. All these things play crucial roles in producing great food.
california is the "king kong of agricultural states" because of its size. la and the central valley are only compatible because an invisible line happens to go around them. quit bragging about your state. that is always the lame attempt of people from la to feel better about being a distant 2nd to nyc. your state happens to have huge borders. congratulations.

farmers markets are lame. that right there proves what a joke la's food is. you have nothing that can compare to taste of chicago, and the fact that you brought up farmers markets is hilarious, nancy.

la's port is busy, it's a large city on main shipping lines from china thanks to our manufacturing industry flopping dead. that's nothing to be proud of, honestly... being the main port of entry for china's products and claiming to be the largest port. the truly proud port and city should be the ports with the highest rates of exports, such as detroit and houston.

p.s. 3 million foreign born in la? why are you trying to impress me with a number that we all know consists of a huge number of mexicans? we can go back and forth all day about what you think is the most diverse, but i'm pretty sure nyc and toronto have that claim locked.

Quote:
From the New York Times, of all places (we know how much they like to give L.A. props).

Feeding Frenzy - NYTimes.com
i don't think the ny times cares as much as city-data goers do about giving another city props. but nice try trying to add credibility by pointing out a supposed bias.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:03 PM

285 posts, read 437,961 times
Quote:
chicago does have better beaches unless you surf. you know why? salt water is sick. who wants to swim in that crap and swallow a mouth full of salt? it's disgusting. and like i said, i'm a jer skier. fresh water jet skiing requires less maintenance therefore it's better for my ski plus it's 100x more refreshing than a face full of salt water. i'll give you the surf and natural scenery in la, other than that, lake michigan is better
LOL!!! This has to be among the funniest things I had ever read in CDC!!
Lake Michigan having better beaches than the Pacific Ocean lol! that's an eye opener.
Besides, the beach itself does not have anything to do with the quality of the waves
it could be the worst looking beach in the world but if the waves are great, surfers will flock there.

I actually respect this position don't get me wong, what's best for you will obviously not be the best for every body else, but it looks like MOST people would prefer places like Can-Cun, Hawaii, Costa Rica or even Los Angeles instead of Lake Michigan for beach vacationing
the comparison is just downright silly!
Besides unless you wanted to jet ski 200 miles on any given direction on fresh water nonstop, there are some fresh water lakes in the LA vecinity where you will actually be able to see the shore at the other side of the lake. lol

Last edited by daortiz; 11-06-2011 at 05:17 PM..

Old 11-06-2011, 05:39 PM

275 posts, read 836,324 times
you know, houston is an alright place...but when you try to compare it to the top 3 cities in the US, it's not going to be as appealing. why not just stop comparing houston with the top 3? does houston really have to have "the best" in order to be a good place to live? no. why not just be happy that you have decent food, jobs, and amenities? imo, cities get slammed the most on CD when they try to compete with cities that they really cant compete with. as a chicagoan, i have to concede that nyc has a lot on us, so i wont try to say it's better. but the minute someone from chicago says it's better than nyc, 10 million ppl will rip on him.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:08 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Why in the world is Houston in this? Embarrassing. Yes, Houston is cheap, and you can get a nice house in the burbs for 200k, but you can say that about a lot of cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City