Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: #2 in the Midwest: Minneapolis-St. Paul or Detroit?
Minneapolis-St. Paul 158 56.83%
Detroit 89 32.01%
Other, be Specific 31 11.15%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 04:12 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
No problem. I think we clearly stated why their city / metro isn't SECOND to Chicago, which this thread is about. I'm sorry you and others are all butt hurt over it. If you would like to actually add something to this thread, great. If you are here to b*tch about why Omaha hasn't been mentioned, then move on because it doesn't belong in this discussion. In other words, stick to the topic at hand.
You didn't prove anything, and I find it disturbing that you feel you've made a convincing argument for people... particularly since you seem to have trouble with reading comprehension. As for me, what am I "butt hurt" about exactly? Again, way to make the Twin Cities proud!

Old 01-07-2014, 04:19 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
You didn't prove anything, and I find it disturbing that you feel you've made a convincing argument for people... particularly since you seem to have trouble with reading comprehension. As for me, what am I "butt hurt" about exactly? Again, way to make the Twin Cities proud!
This thread isn't about me trying to Minneapolis look good or bad. It's about what city / metro is second to Chicago. I've posted plenty of data while others are talking about weather and other nonsense. If you have an opinion, state it. Otherwise, please move on.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:30 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,833 times
Quote:
This thread isn't about me trying to Minneapolis look good or bad. It's about what city / metro is second to Chicago. I've posted plenty of data while others are talking about weather and other nonsense. If you have an opinion, state it. Otherwise, please move on.
No, it's not, but some posters made comments in response to some Twin City poster and you immediately went and ended up supporting what they said.

Btw, as for voicing my opinion, I already did...

Furthermore, what is the problem with cities other than Detroit and the Twin Cities being mentioned? There is an "Other" choice regardless of what you or I think is the correct answer, and tone down on the arrogance a bit...

Old 01-07-2014, 05:36 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
Quote:
From 2000 to 2010, the Detroit MSA lost 156,307 and Cleveland lost 70,903. Latest estimates have both metros losing population as well.
Uh, this is 2014. Every company is SE Michigan is hiring and bringing in people.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:58 PM

416 posts, read 700,945 times
Quote:
But it is you who goes off on a rant listing how bad cities like Cleveland and St. Louis are. I completely understand what this thread is about, it says so right in the title. You are the one though, whenever someone mentions another city, completely put them or the city down. Because people disagree with you they are trolls? If it bothers you so much that other cities get mentioned... why even respond? If I managed to bash Minneapolis in a thread where Minneapolis wasn't even part of the discussion I would assume a local poster would chime in and at least put me in my place because I bashed the place. Same exact thing is happening here where you're putting two very viable and livable cities down because maybe it makes you sleep better at night after doing so. The best part about this thread is it lists "other" as an option. Hell, I could mention Cedar Falls, Iowa as a city if I felt like it. As inane as that may sound, it still falls under that category of "other."

In my honest opinion. I think the claim to #2 belongs to Minneapolis. Detroit has gone through hell and lost a lot in the last couple decades. But it isn't like Minneapolis was immune from the ills of being a northern city. According to the census bureau, Minneapolis had a declining population for more than four decades. It invested where it needed to and is seeing major progress, whereas Detroit is having trouble even turning on its lights. Detroit made a huge impact on the country in its history, but today in my opinion, Minneapolis fits a more diversified role in the American economy.

Minneapolis posters need to get off their high horse. One Cleveland poster mentioned the weather in Minnesota and one poster managed to blatantly bash Cleveland. I don't care what your opinions are of a poster, where do you feel the need to put a city you clearly know nothing about down? You have a problem with them, take it elsewhere. True class! Funny how cities like St. Louis and Cleveland are still heavily investing in themselves, have diverse economies, and have amazing cultural institutions. Cleveland and St. Louis are different than Pittsburgh and Detroit where they were never too reliant on one industry. They were able to diversify over the years invest in big companies that were already based there. Earlier in the thread people were mentioning what Minneapolis is home to, and the same can be said for St. Louis and Cleveland... even being home to Federal Reserve Banks. Funny how Cleveland is home to world renowned healthcare and hospitals that are anchored by an amazing research university in Case Western, and how Cleveland was the first heavy rail system in North America to link its airport to its downtown. Funny how downtown Cleveland is turning three highrises into residential, and three others into hotels not to mention a new highrise hotel where site prep is currently underway. A brand new convention center and attached to that is a medical mart to showcase new medical technologies because of Cleveland's medical based economy with the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals. St. Louis and Cleveland aren't just putting their investments downtown and letting the rest of the city rot, they are putting money throughout entire neighborhoods in the city. Minneapolis did and is doing the same thing.

Yes, Minneapolis deserves the #2 spot, but St. Louis and Cleveland can battle it out for numbers 4 and 5. As long as "other" is still up (and no matter what city/town/village/etc is mentioned) expect people to throw out their opinions on the topic. Otherwise, bash a place and expect to be called out and don't act like it's a shocker when someone does.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:17 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
But it is you who goes off on a rant listing how bad cities like Cleveland and St. Louis are. I completely understand what this thread is about, it says so right in the title. You are the one though, whenever someone mentions another city, completely put them or the city down. Because people disagree with you they are trolls? If it bothers you so much that other cities get mentioned... why even respond? If I managed to bash Minneapolis in a thread where Minneapolis wasn't even part of the discussion I would assume a local poster would chime in and at least put me in my place because I bashed the place. Same exact thing is happening here where you're putting two very viable and livable cities down because maybe it makes you sleep better at night after doing so. The best part about this thread is it lists "other" as an option. Hell, I could mention Cedar Falls, Iowa as a city if I felt like it. As inane as that may sound, it still falls under that category of "other."

In my honest opinion. I think the claim to #2 belongs to Minneapolis. Detroit has gone through hell and lost a lot in the last couple decades. But it isn't like Minneapolis was immune from the ills of being a northern city. According to the census bureau, Minneapolis had a declining population for more than four decades. It invested where it needed to and is seeing major progress, whereas Detroit is having trouble even turning on its lights. Detroit made a huge impact on the country in its history, but today in my opinion, Minneapolis fits a more diversified role in the American economy.

Minneapolis posters need to get off their high horse. One Cleveland poster mentioned the weather in Minnesota and one poster managed to blatantly bash Cleveland. I don't care what your opinions are of a poster, where do you feel the need to put a city you clearly know nothing about down? You have a problem with them, take it elsewhere. True class! Funny how cities like St. Louis and Cleveland are still heavily investing in themselves, have diverse economies, and have amazing cultural institutions. Cleveland and St. Louis are different than Pittsburgh and Detroit where they were never too reliant on one industry. They were able to diversify over the years invest in big companies that were already based there. Earlier in the thread people were mentioning what Minneapolis is home to, and the same can be said for St. Louis and Cleveland... even being home to Federal Reserve Banks. Funny how Cleveland is home to world renowned healthcare and hospitals that are anchored by an amazing research university in Case Western, and how Cleveland was the first heavy rail system in North America to link its airport to its downtown. Funny how downtown Cleveland is turning three highrises into residential, and three others into hotels not to mention a new highrise hotel where site prep is currently underway. A brand new convention center and attached to that is a medical mart to showcase new medical technologies because of Cleveland's medical based economy with the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals. St. Louis and Cleveland aren't just putting their investments downtown and letting the rest of the city rot, they are putting money throughout entire neighborhoods in the city. Minneapolis did and is doing the same thing.

Yes, Minneapolis deserves the #2 spot, but St. Louis and Cleveland can battle it out for numbers 4 and 5. As long as "other" is still up (and no matter what city/town/village/etc is mentioned) expect people to throw out their opinions on the topic. Otherwise, bash a place and expect to be called out and don't act like it's a shocker when someone does.
++++++++

Old 01-07-2014, 07:03 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,231 times
Quote:
Cleveland isn't dying? Have you ever looked at the census numbers for Cleveland and its metro area? Have you ever visited the city?

BTW, I'm not trying to make Minneapolis look good or bad. IMO, Minneapolis is better than Cleveland; in many ways. Just being honest.

Furthermore, why Cleveland has even been brought into this discussion is beyond me because it's nowhere close to being the Midwest's second city. It would be a struggle for the city to be in the top five.
I know the census numbers for Cleveland don't look good at the moment. But just because they are down now and may be for a while doesn't mean that they will stay that way forever. I'm not arguing that Cleveland is #2 in the Midwest. I think that spot belongs to Minneapolis, with Detroit as a very close third. After all, I'm a Twin Cities poster, even. But, do you remember that Minneapolis also used to be one of the ugly, dirty, dying cities? It lost nearly 200,000 people, mostly to the suburbs, but either way, Minneapolis hasn't had a perfect history whatsoever. Lots of blight, crime, and eventually extreme urban renewal that destroyed almost half of downtown. Just because Cleveland and St. Louis are declining now doesn't mean they will stay that way forever. Clearly Minneapolis was able to make a big turnaround (although there are still scars), so I'm sure the other cities can also.

Also, another thing that I am having an issue with is the complete ignorance towards St. Paul. Yes, Minneapolis alone I think is still the #2 or #3 city. But, these data regarding Fortune and Global 500 companies and such apply to a combination of both cities, not just Minneapolis. On the other side of things, non-Minneapolis posters are forgetting that a lot of what Minneapolis lacks (architecture-wise especially), St. Paul has. A lot of the sophisticated eastern architecture that Cleveland or St. Louis have that Minneapolis no longer has as much of (it did have a lot, before urban renewal), can be found in St. Paul. I just want to put the word out that St. Paul is awesome too, and is another benefit that Minneapolis has.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post

I completely agree with your post, but you have to remember that earlier in this thread there had been some completely nonsensical and ridiculous posting about Minneapolis from a certain poster that may have sparked a few tempers. I suggest that if you haven't already, you should go back and read through the thread. In comparison to Cleveland, the total homerism and city-bashing that as gone on in part of Minneapolis posters has been quite minimal, but I also hope it stops.

In my opinion, I think this is how the thread should go:

1) Chicago

2/3) Minneapolis vs. Detroit

4/5) Cleveland vs. St. Louis

6/7/8/9/10) Indianapolis vs. Cincinnati vs. Kansas City vs. Columbus vs. St. Paul

11/12) Milwaukee vs. Louisville

13) Omaha

Old 01-07-2014, 07:18 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,775 times
I agree with you about St. Paul. So much more character than Minneapolis. It's just too bad it's an island in a sea of vanilla.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
I agree with you about St. Paul. So much more character than Minneapolis. It's just too bad it's an island in a sea of vanilla.
That is not at all what I said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City