Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 08:11 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,714,254 times

Advertisements

What is the absolute #1 FAVORITE thing that you LOVE about the city you call home, the city you are from or the city you love most?

AND

What is the absoulte #1 WORST thing that you HATE about the city you call home, the city you are from or the city you love most?

Also, If you have moved around and are from several places, please tell about those places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 08:28 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,454,507 times
philly

favorite - its a classic urban city
least - shut's down at 2. not enough foot traffic due to urban blight & sketchiness after dark

Old 10-13-2011, 08:53 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,714,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
philly

favorite - its a classic urban city
least - shut's down at 2. not enough foot traffic due to urban blight & sketchiness after dark
Thank you for the honest answer

Old 10-13-2011, 08:57 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,816,905 times
Minneapolis:

Favorite: Urban lakes (I've never seen anything quite like it and they way its done in MN -- one of a kind, IMO)

Least Fave: Cold weather (not the weather per se, but the fact that MN is the LAST place in the country to warm up in Spring kills me each and every year. If it were the same everywhere and the temp was still as cold, I could care less. Cold is overrated.)

Old 10-13-2011, 09:06 PM

12,557 posts, read 21,718,207 times
Boston-

Favorite: The way the historic (mostly brick) architecture and lack of a grid provide such an incredibly unique pedestrian environment that isn't replicated in most US cities.

honorable mentions: 1) Autumn. 2) Public Transit 3) Pubs 4) Seafood

Least Favorite: The scarring of "Urban Renewal." Boston gets a lot of credit for its preservation of history, but there are a few BIG examples of Boston screwing up. Two dense, urban squares were destroyed to build Government Center (City Hall) which is a brutalist abomination sitting in a desolate brick plaza. The entire West End (save for one left over rowhouse) was leveled for tower in the park style development. There are plenty of other smaller scale examples too.

honorable mentions: 1)early last call (2am) 2) transit not running past last call 3) NIMBYism/ small-minded anti-progress mentality among many locals 4) difficult/long processes to get projects started

Old 10-14-2011, 12:19 AM

528 posts, read 1,179,315 times
DC-

Favorite: How the metro expands into the suburbs, making it real easy for us Virginians and those crazy Marylanders get to work/play

honorable mentions: 1) semi-late (3am) last call. 2) all the diff neigborhoods 3) all the little "town centers" around the metro area

Least Favorite: the lack of a skyline....I understand the height limit, and it makes for a cool "sprawling" downtown, but I wish that there was something to look at over the horizon when driving around....instead of just a phallus.

honorable mentions: 1) the soviet-era looking landscape....metro stations...Crystal City....L'enfant plaza... 2) no food/drink in metro really sucks balls 3) Traffic

Old 10-14-2011, 12:31 AM

10,071 posts, read 9,833,597 times
Baltimore

Like: I'll get back to you on that

Dislike: Crime, urban decay, too close to DC to (be seen for what it really is: It's own city), too many small minded people, too many "Mr & Ms. Me Too" kind of people, No decent Mall within the city limits, the schools are garbage, the girls are average at best, people here all dress alike, everybody goes to the same places and does the same thing and wonder why they keep running into the same people, ....i can go on, but I'll stop there. I love my city, but it needs to get its sh*t together fast.

BTW im talking about my people..young black people

Old 10-14-2011, 01:18 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,351,704 times
Los Angeles:

Love: No metro areas crams as many attractions as Greater Los Angeles. This city has it all.

Cons: A 4am last call would be nice.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:15 AM

7,646 posts, read 18,041,581 times
Duluth, MN:

Favorite: By far, the beautiful landscape, especially in the summer and fall. The difference between highest and lowest point is one of the greatest (if not the greatest) east of the Missouri River, and it shows in beautiful hills over a very blue lake.

Most hated: The weather. By the way, Minneapolis is practically tropical compared to Duluth in the Spring, especially with the cold (north)easterlies off the lake. I've almost lost count of the days in April, May, and June where the rest of Minnesota (even points north) were in the 70's and 80's with sunshine while Duluth was in the 40's, cloudy, and windy.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:24 AM

11,054 posts, read 16,747,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Los Angeles:

Love: No metro areas crams as many attractions as Greater Los Angeles. This city has it all.

Cons: A 4am last call would be nice.
I am 100% with you on this You can go till 4am in Koreatown if you're Korean or frequent the joint enough... but otherwise? Hope you had a twelve-pack at home

But... to mix it up...

Like: hot women.

Dislike: poor public transit options in most of the more desirable parts of town, limited to busses that are subject to the forces of traffic and are woefully unreliable during peak hours.

Not that I'm generally boo-hooing not being able to ride the bus or subway (I prefer to drive unless I'm going to go out and get tanked), but it keeps people who shouldn't be driving off of my damn roads!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City