Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Southern/Southeastern U.S. City Skyline is the Best?
Atlanta 217 30.22%
Charlotte 43 5.99%
Nashville 21 2.92%
Louisville 15 2.09%
Dallas 69 9.61%
Houston 168 23.40%
Richmond 23 3.20%
Winston-Salem 4 0.56%
Jacksonville 8 1.11%
Tampa 9 1.25%
Miami 133 18.52%
Orlando 8 1.11%
Voters: 718. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 06:23 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

I went to look at all the buildings on http://http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/? (http://http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/ - broken link)? Skcrayperpage website and I noticed all the buldings posted, that I really like were only proposed.Some great building i must admit,but none of the buildings that are current were groundbreaking or defining in ANY way.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:22 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,115,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Most of the prominent buildings in the skyline have spires. So it's almost like you're saying without Atlanta's tallest and most prominent buildings, its skyline wouldn't really be impressive. Ya think?
Yea that's exactly what I was saying. There's no height to ATL's skyline without the buildings and there's not much density to it with the prominent buildings (I believe there are 3 with spires). You could take away Houston's three tallest/prominent buildings and it would still have the look of a dense and tall skyline.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Yea that's exactly what I was saying. There's no height to ATL's skyline without the buildings and there's not much density to it with the prominent buildings (I believe there are 3 with spires). You could take away Houston's three tallest/prominent buildings and it would still have the look of a dense and tall skyline.
I dont think you understand what he was saying about what you said.As I understood what he was saying,he meant that things that make a skyline unique or distinctive,is not the DENSITY alone but the UNIQUE character of the buildings.Height is relative.Tall is Tall,but shapes like pyramids,rounded and slanted corners are very distinguishable than say all boxey type, square buildings.I think he saying that they are synonomous with Atlanta's look.Its linear syline also gives it distiction.What makes Houston look so uniquie?Not density.Its not the architecture.Height?No to all.Many cities have all those things.This is exactly what I was saying about Miami's skyline.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:42 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,586 times
If it weren't for the fact that 90% of the skyscrapers in Miami are just plain-ass (often empty) condos, I'd choose Miami, but I won't....so Atlanta gets my vote.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:05 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,115,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I dont think you understand what he was saying about what you said.As I understood what he was saying,he meant that things that make a skyline unique or distinctive,is not the DENSITY alone but the UNIQUE character of the buildings.Height is relative.Tall is Tall,but shapes like pyramids,rounded and slanted corners are very distinguishable than say all boxey type, square buildings.I think he saying that they are synonomous with Atlanta's look.Its linear syline also gives it distiction.What makes Houston look so uniquie?Not density.Its not the architecture.Height?No to all.Many cities have all those things.This is exactly what I was saying about Miami's skyline.
Question of this thread is purely subjective. If we were to ask this question on which skyline has the most award winning architecture then Houston would win hands down. While from a distant Houston's skyline looks all boxy, when you actually get up there and view you would be surprised.

I personally I like imposing skylines, which to me suggests height and density; things that ATL doesn't have. I think ATL has a nice skyline but a few distinctive buildings can't make up for it. It was a purely subjective question asked and so I am giving my opinion.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:22 PM

229 posts, read 1,043,281 times
Actually, I would go with Houston because it has more bulidings that are taller than what we currently have here in Miami and looks very distinctive to me from afar. Atlanta has a few very tall distinctive buildings, but not as many as Houston over all. Miami's skyline is still evolving and still looks a bit short and boxy even though some statisticians are ranking it third in the nation because of the sheer number of buildings considered tall buildings that made it to construction (fully-occupied or not), so I understand why someone would go with Houston or Atlanta, but Miami has far more tall buildings for comparisons to be made to cities like Tampa and Honolulu. I find the Wachovia builidng to be pretty distinctive. It's the tall buliding in the farground on the right. This is the Four Seasons here in the foreground.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3447/...f3af045c_b.jpg

Last edited by NewAtlantisMiami; 07-17-2009 at 10:45 PM..

Old 07-17-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Question of this thread is purely subjective. If we were to ask this question on which skyline has the most award winning architecture then Houston would win hands down. While from a distant Houston's skyline looks all boxy, when you actually get up there and view you would be surprised.

I personally I like imposing skylines, which to me suggests height and density; things that ATL doesn't have. I think ATL has a nice skyline but a few distinctive buildings can't make up for it. It was a purely subjective question asked and so I am giving my opinion.
Yes you are correct.I was merely responding to the statement made concerning what you said about if the buildings with the "spires" were taken away.You also said Atlanta "has no height to its skyline".This statement is very puzzeling.Atlanta has several of the tallest buildings in America and the world.It makes no sense to me because we are discussing skylines.Buildings with the spires and structures make up skylines.If you had simply said "I prefer Density" over the architecture or design features of buildings,then I would have had nothing to say as it is a subjective opinion.That is not what you stated however.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:46 PM

229 posts, read 1,043,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
If it weren't for the fact that 90% of the skyscrapers in Miami are just plain-ass (often empty) condos, I'd choose Miami, but I won't....so Atlanta gets my vote.
This is not true!

Old 07-17-2009, 11:11 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Atlanta's skyline is #1, followed by Houston and Miami.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:

Yes Houston does have more building than Atlanta.Nothing taller than Atlanta's tallest,but award winning architecture?I don't know how you cometo that conclusion,especiallya "a hands down decision".Maybe some smaller Buildings.Not in it towers.You should look at SkycraperPage and look at the diagrams of the city of Houston.They are just Boxes.Im not even trying to be confrontational.But its not even subjective,because as big as Houston is,most of its building are not "award winning"at all.

Some Famous architects of Atlanta's famous buildings
I.M.Pei
Johnson/Burgee Architects
Michael Graves
John Potman(Atlanta architect created the Atrium design in hotels)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City