Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cosmopolitan?
Dallas 155 37.17%
Seattle 262 62.83%
Voters: 417. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 05:40 PM

571 posts, read 1,172,907 times

Advertisements

I don't really get the whole 'isolated' thing people always throw at Seattle either. We are closer to the major population centers of Vancouver (quite cosmopolitan I might add!) and Portland than Dallas is to, say, Austin or Houston. Most certainly less isolated than anywhere in Colorado. If we need to go any further, hell, we're the home base of Boeing. We have long distance travel covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 05:50 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,648,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
I don't really get the whole 'isolated' thing people always throw at Seattle either. We are closer to the major population centers of Vancouver (quite cosmopolitan I might add!) and Portland than Dallas is to, say, Austin or Houston. Most certainly less isolated than anywhere in Colorado. If we need to go any further, hell, we're the home base of Boeing. We have long distance travel covered.
And 3 National Parks within an hour as the crow flies as well. The argument is silly.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:03 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,025,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
This is very true. That is the reason why when people actually visit the city they are stunned at reality slapping them in the face. I remember when my relatives came to Dallas for the first time dressed as cowboys everyone was starring at them asking them where they were from and asking if they dressed like that in Chicago. That was in the 90's. Good times.
Too funny! It's sad that many people actually believe that Dallas is all about cowboys and people who ride horses around. In >2 years since moving here, I have never seen a horse in person at all.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
Seattle and the entire west coast is separated from the rest of the country by the Rocky Mountains. I did not think this thread was about Colorado. Some of you guys just want to "kill the messenger".

Old 11-10-2011, 06:17 PM

571 posts, read 1,172,907 times
You're right - sorry to pull it off topic in that way. I see where you're coming from. Did not mean to go after you personally.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:47 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Well that's true... You hear much more about Houston than Dallas in the general US or City Vs. City threads. But I've also heard more people talk about Austin and San Antonio on average. For a city and metro of it's size, it's surprisingly under discussed.

Maybe Dallas is just a more work-a-day business center that's more just focused on commerce to get much attention on here. Maybe it's the location out on the flat, dry Texas prairie. Maybe it's the fact that it's a more suburban metro, with more growth in outlying suburbs than in the core. Whatever the reason, I'm sure people from the West Coast underestimate Dallas, but at the same time, it's just not a location people are really interested in traveling to unless it's on business. Someone from the West or East Coast might go to Austin/San Antonio on vacation, but rarely Dallas.
Well you hear more about Houston in general US or City vs. City threads because there are more Houstonians here. Your description of Dallas is pretty much the same as Houston. But Dallasites stay out of the city vs city forum. This thread is is a key reason why.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:41 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
This thread is based on opinions more than facts. Some of these people have never been to Dallas and base their opinions on what they have seen on TV, what they have heard, or what someone told them. I have no right to bash Seattle because I have never been there. That's why I have stayed out of this thread. Some of this stuff isn't correct at all. Even if you show the facts someone will find a way to shoot it down.

Last edited by Dallaz; 11-10-2011 at 07:54 PM..

Old 11-10-2011, 07:59 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,159,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And where do most of the people in Washington live? Yakima? I. . . don't. . . think. . . so!

Populatin of Washington state:
Population of Seattle:
608,660 (~10% of state population)
Population of Seattle MSA:

About 50% of the state's population. You can't deflect this one away.

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

http://www.doh.wa.gov/cfh/immunize/documents/kexemptco10-11.pdf (broken link)

See map in above link.
You're not very knowledgable about statistics if you think that Seattle's vaccination views have to match those of Washington State in general because of it being a fairly large percentage of the population. Seattleites' views are often extremely different from the rest of Washington.

And once again, even if it were the case that Seattleites believed something really stupid it wouldn't change the fact about it having cosmopolitan ATTITUDES. I'm sure that Cairo and Nairobi have lots of foolish beliefs, for example their views about the place of women in society, but they still are very cosmopolitan in diversity of cultures, and as considering themselves to be citizens of the world as much as of their cities (at least that's the impression I've had in conversations with them).

Old 11-10-2011, 08:29 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,159,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

This is a professional issue with me. I'm a pediatric nurse.
Interesting ..... oh hullo, what's this? As long as we're painting with a wide brush:
Quote:
A chorus of scientific papers subsequently refuted the purported connection between MMR and autism. Meanwhile, a British journalist exposed financial ties between Wakefield and lawyers looking to sue vaccine manufacturers. Wakefield lost his license to practice medicine, saw Lancet retract his paper, and faced new accusations—published earlier this year by the British Medical Journal—that his research was fraudulent. (Representative of just how far his star has fallen, Wakefield's most recent public appearance came during a rally last week in Dublin, Ireland, where he spoke alongside 9/11 Truthers and those who believe in a coming New World Order.)

Yet Wakefield, now living in Austin, Texas, is more revered than ever by vaccine skeptics, his vilification seen simply as more proof of a conspiracy.
...... and this:
Quote:
Consequently, legislators in Olympia, at the prodding of the state Department of Health, have just passed a bill that makes it harder for parents to exempt their children from school-vaccination mandates. No longer can they simply sign a form. They must now present a note from a doctor who has advised them of the dangers of failing to immunize.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:41 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Well that's true... You hear much more about Houston than Dallas in the general US or City Vs. City threads. But I've also heard more people talk about Austin and San Antonio on average. For a city and metro of it's size, it's surprisingly under discussed.

Maybe Dallas is just a more work-a-day business center that's more just focused on commerce to get much attention on here. Maybe it's the location out on the flat, dry Texas prairie. Maybe it's the fact that it's a more suburban metro, with more growth in outlying suburbs than in the core. Whatever the reason, I'm sure people from the West Coast underestimate Dallas, but at the same time, it's just not a location people are really interested in traveling to unless it's on business. Someone from the West or East Coast might go to Austin/San Antonio on vacation, but rarely Dallas.
The poster was talking about the stereotyping and silliness against sunbelt cities. Basically you just call Dallas-Fort Worth a flat, dry Texas prairie suburban work-a-day business center, have you every even been to DFW before? DFW have plenty of trees and to many people prairies are scenic, prairies are not desert it's not dry there. They're plenty of urban areas, and DFW has more tourism than Austin and San Antonio. But that's why Dallas-Fort Worth posters don't come out that much to the city vs city threads.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5215/...4f460172_b.jpg

DFW is similar to Houston, Atlanta and LA, though it's metro it has several CBDs. I would add it's probably right to say it's even more multipolar than the others.

Downtown Dallas

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3231/...20a8d854_z.jpg

Downtown Fort Worth

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3011/...c21b56f9_z.jpg

Central Expressway.. no comment LOL

http://www.projectrun.com/examplepics/75_skyline.jpg

Las Colinas

http://www.irvingtlc.com/Portals/0/A...olinas%20I.JPG

Dallas Galleria

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3013/...0d2_z.jpg?zz=1

Addison Skyline

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3195/...16e8e8532a.jpg

Farmers Branch

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3167/...83ff61232c.jpg

Uptown Dallas

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3379/...577226b4_z.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City