Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite: Rocky or Appalachian mountains
Rocky 213 55.91%
Appalachian 168 44.09%
Voters: 381. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 07:31 AM

910 posts, read 2,983,499 times

Advertisements

these are both beautiful mountain ranges in our country. which one is your favorite and why?

ive been to the Rocky mountains, ive climbed up to the top of mt. evans before, which is 14,264 ft. (also has the highest road in the U.S.). but i loved the view on top of the mountain, even though im scared of hieghts.

and i love Denver, maybe its the steep hills through out the metro area. i like the zoo also, and that whole area seems cool to me.

so from experience im going with the Rockys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 07:43 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Both beautiful mountain chains, but what about the Sierras, the Cascades...?

Old 04-20-2008, 07:47 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,025 times
Love them both, too bad you didn't also ask about the Cascades, Olympics, Chugach, Ozarks(), etc!

Old 04-20-2008, 07:48 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
I love mountains, any place, any name. They are gorgeous and I so miss them living in Texas.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:05 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
Love them both, too bad you didn't also ask about the Cascades, Olympics, Chugach, Ozarks(), etc!
I think some, including myself, have been confused as to what constitutes as being in the "Rockies". After looking it up, I realize that the Cascades, Olympic and the Sierra Nevada, appear to be separate ranges.

I think all mountainous areas are nice to look at, though I'd choose the Appalachians as a place to live over the western ranges. Especially New England or Pennsylvania.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:20 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
I chose Appalachians, why? Well because the Appalachians offer some of the most diverse ecosystems in the world. There is so much plant life and animal life in the Appalachians. Where as the Rockies seem more arid and less lush. Plus the Appalachians have the best hiking trail ever, "The Appalachian Trail." I hope to someday hike it. If I had to choose somewhere in the Appalachians, I think I would choose Mountain City, TN for the Winter/Spring. Then for the Summer/Fall I would choose somewhere in the White Mountains around Mt. Washington in New Hampshire. I chose Tennessee in the Winter/Spring because the flowers are blooming. I chose New Hampshire in the Summer/Fall because summers in New Hampshire are cooler temps and the Fall colors in the mountains.

The Appalachians are said to be some of the oldest Mountains in the world. There is alot of history in the Apps, the Civil war in Virginia etc.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:36 AM

353 posts, read 1,706,235 times
I have been to both, and there is no comparison. The Appalachians are beautiful and everything, but they just aren't mountains anymore. Perhaps a million years ago, but not anymore.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:40 AM

2,072 posts, read 5,414,612 times
I've been to the Rockies quite a bit... but this summer I got a chance to visit both the Rockies and the Appalacians. I was much more impressed with the Rockys.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Both beautiful mountain chains, but what about the Sierras, the Cascades...?

i didnt forget about them i just put the two big ones down... theres just too many to name. i could of put the porcupine up in michigan, Allgheny, Black Hills, Pacific Coast ranges, the Great Smoky's, Alaskan range even, theres alot more im sure.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:24 AM

i like your discription of the appalation mountains being green Josh. i actually prefer to see the rock formations that occur, and the rocky's have many plant life too, with the very high elevation, they have more animal species that live in the rockys as well. thats what i like to see in mountains is the animal species. thats just my oppinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City