Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is better?
Chicago 101 52.88%
L.A. 90 47.12%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 05:54 AM

84 posts, read 94,368 times

Advertisements

I'm sure the L.A. 'style over substance' approach to things makes some people think they are enjoying a fine dining experience when in fact they are being robbed and treated like crap while it happens. Reminds my of "L'Idiot" from "L.A. Story". Not surprising since Travel & Leisure just voted L.A. America's rudest city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 05:55 AM

You could have spent 10 seconds on Google and then you would not be 'speculating'. Home

Food trucks fit L.A. very well. People there are poor, food trucks are cheap. People there love smog, food trucks help create smog. win-win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Oh, and the whole food truck craze sweeping the nation? Started right here in L.A:

Inside LA's Food Truck Phenomenon - YouTube

I'm not sure if these are even legal in Chicago, they're certainly more restricted than other cities.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:25 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
These are the same East Coast idiots who gush about their greasy, flimsy, overrated $2 slices of pizza. They even have "wars" with Chicago over that crap. They brag about the same things they later turn around and bash L.A. for (low-priced ethnic food). Mindless drivel, basically.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 11-13-2011 at 06:33 AM..

Old 11-13-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one more thing View Post
You could have spent 10 seconds on Google and then you would not be 'speculating'. Home

Food trucks fit L.A. very well. People there are poor, food trucks are cheap. People there love smog, food trucks help create smog. win-win.
I could have looked it up, but I didn't care enough to bother. Those trucks are only allowed to sell pre-packaged stuff--quality eating right there! Good thing everyone in CHI eats at Alinea 3x a day, huh?

Now run along and create another username so you can vote for Chicago. I know you're dying to.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 11-13-2011 at 06:45 AM..

Old 11-13-2011, 07:23 AM

L.A. dining scene is much like that city's skyline, too small considering the population, and not all that impressive. With Chicago, the dining scene is especially impressive considering the population, as is the skyline.

No matter how you slice it, a food truck is not a restaurant and a lack of food trucks in Chicago is only a reflection of how superb their world-class downtown is compared to L.A.'s.

Quote:
I could have looked it up, but I didn't care enough to bother. Those trucks are only allowed to sell pre-packaged stuff--quality eating right there! Good thing everyone in CHI eats at Alinea 3x a day, huh?

Now run along and create another username so you can vote for Chicago. I know you're dying to.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:27 AM

With one sentence you render yourself completely unworthy of being taken seriously in any discussion of food.

Quote:
These are the same East Coast idiots who gush about their greasy, flimsy, overrated $2 slices of pizza. They even have "wars" with Chicago over that crap. They brag about the same things they later turn around and bash L.A. for (low-priced ethnic food). Mindless drivel, basically.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:30 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,975 times
Has dementor switched his role and instead of bashing chicago he has now started hyping up chicago

Old 11-13-2011, 08:50 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,349 times
Having lived in Chicago and LA, here's my take.

Fine dining is better in Chicago. The top end LA area restaurants are simply not as good. Scene wise, if you are into the "see and be seen" crowd, LA is clearly better.

As for mid level dining like your average restaurant, it's a wash. Chicago has better Italian, Greek, and Eastern European food (Polish, etc), but LA has far better Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, and Jewish deli food.

For comfort food, which includes your fast food type places (non chain), also a wash. Taco stands are way better in LA. NYC pizza is way better in LA (obviously Chicago style is way better in Chicago). Bagels in LA are better. Chicago has better Italian delis.

For food trucks, I attribute the reason that Chicago doesn't have many to the fact that the politically connected have not yet decided to enter this market.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:01 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post

Fine dining is better in Chicago. The top end LA area restaurants are simply not as good. Scene wise, if you are into the "see and be seen" crowd, LA is clearly better.

As for mid level dining like your average restaurant, it's a wash. Chicago has better Italian, Greek, and Eastern European food (Polish, etc), but LA has far better Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, and Jewish deli food.

For comfort food, which includes your fast food type places (non chain), also a wash. Taco stands are way better in LA. NYC pizza is way better in LA (obviously Chicago style is way better in Chicago). Bagels in LA are better. Chicago has better Italian delis.

For food trucks, I attribute the reason that Chicago doesn't have many to the fact that the politically connected have not yet decided to enter this market.
I have been pleasantly surprised with the Jewish delis in CA, not quite as good as the Northeast but next best IMHO

Overall agree with your assesment. Saying Chicago is better is not a huge slight as Chicago could be either the 2nd or 3rd best city in America IMHO and LA is among the top as well from my perspective, just a little below Chicago overall

Old 11-13-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post

Good post, by i respectfully disagree that the next two tiers are a wash. The amount of ethnic cuisines where L.A. is almost universally regarded as better is much larger than that. We're talking Central American, Peruvian, Japanese, Mexican (numerous regions, with varying styles) , Korean, Thai, Armenian/Thai, Vietnamese, Armenian/Iranian, Jewish, Peruvian and the various styles of Chinese--some of the best loved cuisines on Earth are included. Now add L.A.'s staggering amount of hamburger stands, hot dog venders selling bacon-wrapped dogs (pure heaven), donut shops, food trucks and coffee shops. Add that LA even has better NY slices (your opinion). I'm not seeing a wash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City