Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better Downtown
Philadelphia 192 62.34%
Seattle 116 37.66%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 07:57 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,491 times

Advertisements

They just opened a new 3 story Etiquette store downtown Seattle dont now much about it. They have started construction or build out of the new Zara in Westlake its going to be big box format but 2 story above Nordstrom Rack. The new 3 story TJ MAX is going to be 65,000 square ft and there currently working on it also. Actuallly downtown Seattle has quite a few big box retailers already downtown there just multi story developments. Bed Bath And Beyond has a huge 2 story store downtown. Ross has a large 2 story store, Barnes and Noble has a 2 story store, Forever 21 has a 4 story store, Then theres the Hybrid City Target 3 story. R.E.I is 200,000 square ft and also downtown. Thats a few of the big box stores in Seattle downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 994 times
Our nation began in Philadelphia. This is just a fact. It's close to a warm ocean you can swim in ( pacific is ice cold) and an hour and a half from New York. Seattle is a little town full of transients, hardly anyone is local or stays long thus the "Seattle freeze" cold attitude of the residents. After living in Seattle, the downtown loses interest after a year; there are few things to do. The nightlife is mostly restricted to the capital hill neighborhood & there is only so much shopping can entertain you. (Anything remotely historic is being swallowed up by condos) That's when you head to the outdoors & mountains. Philadelphia which is massive comparatively, I'm forever finding new and awesome events and places after decades of living there. There is no competition: Philadelphia tops isolated Seattle.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:12 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Philly's MSA has 2.8 million jobs with 1.1% growth, Seattle 1.9 million but with 3.9% growth. Even with all the "census cuts" nonsense often repeated here, Philly barely gets any bigger with all of Central NJ added in. Philly is not massive. It's 8th in jobs, and will be 9th in a few years when Atlanta surpasses it. Metro DC actually has more jobs than metro Philly due to higher labor participation rates.

Class A office space in Seattle is going for over $40/ft, Philly mid-20s.

Median household in the City of Seattle is $65k vs. just $37k in Philly.

Sea-Tac airport handled 37 million pax last year, up 30% over 10 years vs. just 30 million in Philly, where traffic has been flat over the last 10 years.

Philly is an economic has been. Seattle is a city of the future.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:18 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Philly is an economic has been.
Then how is it growing? For that matter, how is it winning this poll, especially given how unpopular Philadelphia is on this board?

Old 06-14-2015, 10:26 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Then how is it growing?
it's not, Metro Philly had the lowest job growth among the 15 biggest MSAs over the last 12 months, just 1.1%

Old 06-14-2015, 10:32 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
it's not, Metro Philly had the lowest job growth among the 15 biggest MSAs over the last 12 months, just 1.1%
Slow growth is still growth, genius.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:36 PM

616 posts, read 644,897 times
Quote:
Philly's MSA has 2.8 million jobs with 1.1% growth, Seattle 1.9 million but with 3.9% growth. Even with all the "census cuts" nonsense often repeated here, Philly barely gets any bigger with all of Central NJ added in. Philly is not massive. It's 8th in jobs, and will be 9th in a few years when Atlanta surpasses it. Metro DC actually has more jobs than metro Philly due to higher labor participation rates.

Class A office space in Seattle is going for over $40/ft, Philly mid-20s.

Median household in the City of Seattle is $65k vs. just $37k in Philly.

Sea-Tac airport handled 37 million pax last year, up 30% over 10 years vs. just 30 million in Philly, where traffic has been flat over the last 10 years.

Philly is an economic has been. Seattle is a city of the future.

I still would take Philadelphia any day over Seattle because I really liked the east coast when I was back there.

Seattle will eventually have an economic meltdown when prices on everything get to high. its not a matter of IF its just WHEN.

As far as the household income thing goes all places are pretty much similar in regards to income/cost of living. When I worked in DC I made $60,000 a yr, when I came back to Portland my income dropped by $15000 but I still had more spending money and a bigger apartment at the end of the day.

As far as the airports go Seattle has a geographical advantage being the northern most major city in the NW. Usually its the airlines and not necessarily local traffic that determines an airports traffic.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:09 PM

591 posts, read 819,771 times
In 2015, Seattle is more the exciting city to be in

Old 06-14-2015, 11:21 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
I still would take Philadelphia any day over Seattle because I really liked the east coast when I was back there.

Seattle will eventually have an economic meltdown when prices on everything get to high. its not a matter of IF its just WHEN.

As far as the household income thing goes all places are pretty much similar in regards to income/cost of living. When I worked in DC I made $60,000 a yr, when I came back to Portland my income dropped by $15000 but I still had more spending money and a bigger apartment at the end of the day.

As far as the airports go Seattle has a geographical advantage being the northern most major city in the NW. Usually its the airlines and not necessarily local traffic that determines an airports traffic.
Ok your comparing portland to Philly now why?

Old 06-14-2015, 11:35 PM

616 posts, read 644,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Ok your comparing portland to Philly now why?
no Im not comparing Portland to Philly. I was comparing my wages in DC to Portland--MAKING a POINT that Higher salaries DONT always mean a BETTER Lifestyle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City