Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the hub for Asian culture in the US: Tri-State Area, SoCal or the Bay Area?
Tri-State Area 31 22.63%
SoCal 42 30.66%
Bay Area 64 46.72%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 02:40 PM

637 posts, read 1,014,661 times

Advertisements

NY Area is around 10% Asian (though may be an undercount due to many people not filling out the census)
LA area is around 12% Asian.

However, NY Area Asians are growing at a faster rate than LA area, and already long surpassed the Bay Area a long time ago (rendering any talk about percentages there useless).

Therefore, there can only be one answer...the Tri-State Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 11:31 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
NY Area is around 10% Asian (though may be an undercount due to many people not filling out the census)
LA area is around 12% Asian.
Same could be said about the LA or SF Bay areas, though.

Quote:
Therefore, there can only be one answer...the Tri-State Area.
I wonder how many Asians think that...?

Maybe you guys will catch up someday Either way, you'd have over a hundred years of history to catch up on that you'd never be able to meet. Sorry, saying that the tri-state up is the center of Asian culture in the US because recently more Asians started moving there is like saying that Texas is the center of black culture in America because the black population has grown in the last couple decades.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:38 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Same could be said about the LA or SF Bay areas, though.

I wonder how many Asians think that...?

Maybe you guys will catch up someday Either way, you'd have over a hundred years of history to catch up on that you'd never be able to meet. Sorry, saying that the tri-state up is the center of Asian culture in the US because recently more Asians started moving there is like saying that Texas is the center of black culture in America because the black population has grown in the last couple decades.
History much? Blacks have been in Texas in large numbers since the days of slavery. In fact, that is the main reason Texas left Mexico, because Mexico did not want Texas to have slaves.

Compare that to California where the black population was extremely low prior to WW2,and which is now decreasing as a % of the population in 2012.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:32 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
History much?
I actually do respect you as a poster. Now,

Side rant: I can't stand it when people go "____ much." Like, "extrapolate much?" "Passive aggressive much?" etc. Grammatically incorrect, smug, unfunny, tired, droll, etc.

Anyways...

Quote:
Blacks have been in Texas in large numbers since the days of slavery.
And NYC has one of the US' oldest Chinatowns (just a few years after SF and Oakland).

Despite these facts, side by side: Texas is not the hub of black culture in the US. New York is not the hub of Asian culture in the US.

Quote:
In fact, that is the main reason Texas left Mexico, because Mexico did not want Texas to have slaves.
Awesome but largely irrelevant to this particular discussion.

As stated above: Texas is not the hub of black culture in the US. New York is not the hub of Asian culture in the US.

Quote:
Compare that to California where the black population was extremely low prior to WW2,and which is now decreasing as a % of the population in 2012.
Again, irrelevant.

Texas is not the hub of black culture in the US. New York is not the hub of Asian culture in the US.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:50 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Asian culture/numbers is fairly strong throughout the entire state of California. Their counterparts in New York are only in the NYC area; go to upstate NY ( Albany, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, and esp points north, to the Canadian border), and it's almost non-existant..

Old 05-25-2012, 11:01 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Bay Area. I think Chinese immigration preceded and was larger than that of other groups. Part of it had to do with the building of the railroads. Also, the number of 747s flying out of SFO to China (United, China Air, EVA, Cathay Pacific, et al) is staggering.

In Los Angeles, the dominant Asian groups were the Japanese and the Koreans. I always had Japanese friends as a kid. I guess I liked their musical last names and the generally nice resonance of their language. Just kidding. For some reason, I have always found the Japanese to be the most friendly of the Asian groups, and the ones most likely to assimilate and Americanize. I remember JAL being a constant at LAX, more so than the China-bound carriers. Lately, the Chinese have amassed a larger presence in SoCal, particularly in the San Gabriel Valley. If one drives on "the 60" near LaPuente/Diamond Bar, one can see strip malls with the script entirely in Chinese. I find that obnoxious. How much more would it cost to have another sign underneath that says "Jade Tea Garden" or something?

Old 05-25-2012, 11:34 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
It always amazes me how often HONOLULU is over looked. The metro is by far the metro most dominated by Asian culture and nowhere comes even close. If you are not Asian or part Asian in Honolulu, you are a minority. Yeah it may be much smaller than SF, LA, and NYC but still. Pound for pound, no city comes remotely close to Honolulu when it comes to Asian culture.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:36 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,660,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It always amazes me how often Honolulu is over looked. The metro is by far metro most dominated by Asian culture and nowhere comes even close. Yeah it may be small but still..
honolulu is small and out there and not important in the grand scheme of things. it's like saying el paso is the hub for mexican culture in the usa

Old 05-25-2012, 12:00 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
honolulu is small and out there and not important in the grand scheme of things. it's like saying el paso is the hub for mexican culture in the usa
Out where? Closer to Asia than all the other cities? Yeah I realize Honolulu is much smaller than LA, SF, and NYC but I'd say it's arguably one of the Top 5 Asian cities in America. You can't say the same thing for El Paso with regards to Mexico.

I don't think there even is some sort of central "hub" of Asian culture as SF, NYC, and LA all have a million+ Asians each, none of those three are that dominant over the others really. Just saying Honolu is more dominated Asian culture than any other city and for that reason IS important and worth mentioning.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:40 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,904 times
There is no such thing as "Asian Culture". There is Korean culture. And Chinese culture. And Indian culture. Etc.

Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City