Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 03:27 PM

84 posts, read 214,976 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move Feb 2012 from Atlanta and have narrowed it down to 6 cities/places. I am still not sure where to move. I would like to move to a city with the following features:

- Warm, sunny weather most of the year or at least a mild winter with little or no snow
- Close to a lake or ocean
- Reasonable cost of living - I live alone
- Not worried about finding a job, I have a job I can work from anywhere in the U.S.
- Plenty of yoga places
- Places to walk (parks, quiet neighborhood streets, etc)

I have only lived in Wisconsin and Atlanta my whole life, but have visited Phoenix, Seattle, LA, DC, and Austin. I have never been to Portland.

Here are my comments on each:

Phoenix - I just went to visit last month and I liked it there. It was hot, but not uncomfortable. I met a lot of nice people. I was looking into Tempe, and saw a couple of nice apartments there. I had a long drive from Tempe to Phoenix, lots of traffic there.... overall reasonable cost of living, warm weather. I wonder about the culture in terms of concerts, ballet, plays?

Seattle - I loved all the little neighborhoods in Seattle when I went to visit. I am not sure if I could get used to the rain and gloom, high cost of living, otherwise I love it there.

LA - Nice weather, big, lots of culture, good nightlife, expensive!

DC - Expensive, but I like all the little neighborhoods around DC in Maryland and VA. Good looking men there! People seemed more professional in the places I visited.

Austin - Nice weather, Hot, things to do, good music scene, reasonable cost of living.

Portland - I have never been to Portland but only heard it was a nice city, big on yoga and green living.

So, if I could rank these places I would rank them with pros:

1. Phoenix - Hot weather, cost of living, close to CA
2. Seattle - IT focused, lots to do, nightlife
3. Portland - Having never been there, it may fit my laid back personality
4. DC - Professional people, nice neighborhoods, lots to do, lots of culture
5. LA - Culture, weather, ocean
6. Austin - Warm weather, cost of living, music scene

If you have lived in any or all places, which would you suggest for a 32 year old single, professional, woman?

I am leaving Atlanta because I need a change of scenery.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 03:41 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue1Roses View Post
- Warm, sunny weather most of the year
2. Seattle

Other than the yoga, which I know nothing about, from that list Austin seems to best match your criteria but you rate it last.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:44 PM

8 posts, read 19,377 times
Iv's been to all the cities you mentioned except DC. I lived in Austin in my 20;'s and now in Portland. If warm sunny weather is at the top of your list I think Portland and Seattle are out. I moved from Dallas to Portland in 2010. Best move I ever made......but I love the cold rainy weather. cost of living seems to be high in any cool city where people actually want to live. Phoenix is hot as hell and I found the nightlife to be lacking. Sounds like LA or Austin would be your top choices. Being 32 and single...professional I think Austin is top choice. Austin is pretty happening for all age ranges it seems.Good luck!

Old 11-22-2011, 03:48 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,898 times
Phoenix- As long as you can deal with the heat, Phoenix is a good choice. I would not live in Tempe, because it is the home of Arizona State University and is very much a college town. The more professional atmosphere is in Scottsdale. There are a lot of young professionals in their early and mid 30s in Scottsdale, particularly toward downtown Scottsdale which has great nightlife. The nightlife is among the best in the United States. Phoenix proper is very spread out and yes, the nightlife is lacking. But check into Scottsdale. The cultural activities in Phoenix are pretty good; lots of concert venues, sports, museums, but certainly less than in LA.

Seattle- Weather isn't fun. The city itself is nice, but it is much smaller than Phoenix and LA. I find people from Seattle to be very self absorbed and not that friendly or open (my opinion).

Portland-Don't know much about it, other than the locales rave about it.

DC- Great young professional city. It is the most expensive of all your options. If you live in the suburbs, you can lower your costs and the nightlife in the suburbs isn't that bad. Plenty of people your age and lots of dating options. It is one of the cultural capitals of the US.

LA- More expensive than most cities, but I live here and I love it. Contrary to popular belief, there are many opportunities for people over 30 and even over 40. Lots of people move to LA at that age and love it. EVeryone wants to date in LA, which is nice. People are from all over and we have every culture and activity represented.

Austin- Cool music scene. The city is very centered around the University of Texas. The downtown area is nice, but not that big. People tell me they got sick of it after a while and the fact that for such a large city, there isn't much else going on besides UT events and 3rd Street.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:02 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post

Austin- Cool music scene. The city is very centered around the University of Texas. The downtown area is nice, but not that big. People tell me they got sick of it after a while and the fact that for such a large city, there isn't much else going on besides UT events and 3rd Street.
I think you mean 6th street, right?

Yeah, I've heard this as well from people here, and I can definitely understand that. It can feel like a small downtown despite some of the towering buildings. More options have been added in recent years on Second Street and Rainey street areas. However, I don't know how concerned the OP is with downtown/nightlife.

OP, as far as quiet neighborhoods, you won't lack. There are definitely some great neighborhoods for walking, although walkability as a whole in the city can be iffy. If you want to be 'close to the action' as far as entertainment/stuff to do you'll have a significant increase in housing costs.

IMO, parks here are great and there is no lack of places to walk or run or hike. I live within walking distance to the Barton Creek Greenbelt and I can walk for a long without seeing any sign of civilization. I'm not a big nightlife person but I place huge value on open spaces where I can 'get away from it all', and Austin has not disappointed me...there's lots of options within a short drive or walk depending on where you live. If you can stand the heat, it could be a good option for you and fulfills your criteria list.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:47 PM

Yea 6th Street is Austin, sorry. 3rd Street is Santa Monica, CA.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:59 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlandiaLover View Post
Austin is pretty happening for all age ranges it seems.Good luck!
Actually it's more popular for
- College-age to mid 20's
- Hippies 50+

People in the other age groups aren't always as enthralled. Houston & Dallas seem more favorable to the 30's-40's professional crowd and all of the old-money familes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Maybe you meant 6th St, but yes, Austin has underwhelming amenities outside of periodic music fests and college-heavy live music bars, especially compared to nearby (by Texas standards) Houston.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:45 PM

84 posts, read 214,976 times
I don't necessarily need a happening nightlife, but that option would be nice. I am more concerned with my list...nightlife would just be a bonus I have never been to Portland, maybe I should take a trip there. I would like to move to LA, but I have no idea where the nice, less expensive places to live are??

Old 11-22-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue1Roses View Post
I don't necessarily need a happening nightlife, but that option would be nice. I am more concerned with my list...nightlife would just be a bonus I have never been to Portland, maybe I should take a trip there. I would like to move to LA, but I have no idea where the nice, less expensive places to live are??
The San Fernando Valley is cheaper than the city of LA, but still is close by, has young professionals, and decent nightlife. Check out Studio City, Sherman Oaks, and Woodland Hills.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:14 AM

12 posts, read 18,254 times
I say, Seattle is beautiful, California is something I do not like, and it is hideous, too expensive too. Austin is cheap and has jobs, but it may be boring. Oh, but you moved to Seattle anyway. Good for you I love that city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City