Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 05:46 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
LOL
Illinoyed by higher taxes? i have heard of that
oh well Corruption has a price and the income tax hike in Illinois is great... for Indiana
Glad Mitch Daniels is recruiting more and more business here.
Illinois wont have manufacturing left soon with Right to Work in place now.
You do realize that there are many other Midwestern states that have higher income tax rates than Illinois...right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 08:17 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
Quote:
LOL
Illinoyed by higher taxes? i have heard of that
oh well Corruption has a price and the income tax hike in Illinois is great... for Indiana
Glad Mitch Daniels is recruiting more and more business here.
Illinois wont have manufacturing left soon with Right to Work in place now.
Enough. Stop pretending Indy has anything on Chicago. Do you see where I'm from? I go to Indy almost all the time and know the city back and fourth.

It's very underrated, I really like it. It deserves more love. But let's get real! It's no Chicago. Hell, it's no Atlanta, Minneapolis, or Houston either.

Broad Ripple is fun but a little trashy. Downtown Indy is the new hotspot that I love to hang out in now, it's very trendy.

Businesses will never move from Chicago to Indy. Most employees in Chicago will NOT move to Indy, nor will the CEO's and other officers, and they will not want to go through the trouble of reorganizing their talent pool.

And Indy is NOT in a better location. And by not I mean x50.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:59 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Enough. Stop pretending Indy has anything on Chicago. Do you see where I'm from? I go to Indy almost all the time and know the city back and fourth.

It's very underrated, I really like it. It deserves more love. But let's get real! It's no Chicago. Hell, it's no Atlanta, Minneapolis, or Houston either.

Broad Ripple is fun but a little trashy. Downtown Indy is the new hotspot that I love to hang out in now, it's very trendy.

Businesses will never move from Chicago to Indy. Most employees in Chicago will NOT move to Indy, nor will the CEO's and other officers, and they will not want to go through the trouble of reorganizing their talent pool.

And Indy is NOT in a better location. And by not I mean x50.
Minus the Lake Indy is in a better location.
Consider it from the logistics standpoint.
Less Traffic/Taxes/Hassle than the massive metropolis of Chicago.
Sitting Idle on a freeway waste gas which waste money. Indy doesnt have the traffic problems Chicago has hence why shipping is growing here and staying steady in Chicago.
Also that message was for Indiana VS Illinois not Indy VS chicago.
but if we insist here............

Old 04-20-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
You do realize that there are many other Midwestern states that have higher income tax rates than Illinois...right?
ya and Indiana is welcoming those people too.
Michigan is a good example. Ohio too.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:52 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
ya and Indiana is welcoming those people too.
Michigan is a good example. Ohio too.

Ohio's tax rates have slowly been going up since the mid-90s.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:01 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
Sitting Idle on a freeway waste gas which waste money. Indy doesnt have the traffic problems Chicago has hence why shipping is growing here and staying steady in Chicago.
Chicago has a number of other transportation options than just sitting on the freeway; these including bus, commuter, and heavy rail. Plus Chicago is the rail hub of the midwest, from which millions of tons of freight are shipped. Amtrak's headquarters and midwestern hub are both in Chicago. Chicago is also extremely connected via the Illinois and Michigan canal. Chicago also boasts one of the busiest airports in the world, which Indianapolis does not. I think you're going to fight a long battle which you would ultimately lose in trying to convince anyone that Indy is more of an important logistics hub than Chicago.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Chicago has a number of other transportation options than just sitting on the freeway; these including bus, commuter, and heavy rail. Plus Chicago is the rail hub of the midwest, from which millions of tons of freight are shipped. Amtrak's headquarters and midwestern hub are both in Chicago. Chicago is also extremely connected via the Illinois and Michigan canal. Chicago also boasts one of the busiest airports in the world, which Indianapolis does not. I think you're going to fight a long battle which you would ultimately lose in trying to convince anyone that Indy is more of an important logistics hub than Chicago.
i didnt say Indy was a more important logistics hub. Chicago is
But if we remove lake michigan from the comparison here Indy has a clear advantage over Chicago.
Ive been on the beltways traffic is heavy and they need to redo the freeways around Chicago.
Indianapolis is already updating its freeway network so trucking is just that much easier. Plus the Airport is attached to I-70 for the reason of trucking and easy in and out of the Fedex terminal.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:56 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
Quote:
i didnt say Indy was a more important logistics hub. Chicago is
But if we remove lake michigan from the comparison here Indy has a clear advantage over Chicago.
Ive been on the beltways traffic is heavy and they need to redo the freeways around Chicago.
Indianapolis is already updating its freeway network so trucking is just that much easier. Plus the Airport is attached to I-70 for the reason of trucking and easy in and out of the Fedex terminal.
No.

Here are some facts.

Chicago is the 3rd largest intermodal port in the World after Hong Kong and Singapore.

Chicago links to six of the seven Class 1 railroads in the nation as well as 6 interstate highways.

O'hare is the 3rd busiest airport on earth.

Your hypothetical scenario of "taking away Lake Michigan" doesn't exist. Lake Michigan is there, and its not going anywhere. Even without it, Indy wouldn't touch Chicago's economy in any way shape or form.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:17 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,950,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
No.

Here are some facts.

O'hare is the 3rd busiest airport on earth.
nitpicking, but I think you meant 3rd busiest in US (YTD 2012), not earth. 8th busiest on earth.

4th busiest in 2011.

World's busiest airports by passenger traffic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-20-2012, 01:38 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times
Quote:
Do you enjoy grasping at straws?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City