Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 02:32 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Growing up on the east coast, I was used to urban poverty having a certain "look" of run down brick rowhouses. It wasn't until I moved to Houston that I noted urban poverty can look different: decaying clapboard shotgun houses like one would find in rural areas, unkempt 60s-era suburban tract housing and garden apartments as well as rusty mobile homes lining roads with ditches - all inside the city limits. With these "newer" cities that folks claim have no ghettos, I wonder if it's just that those ghettos simply look different? For example, here's what ghettos look like in Austin:

All sizes | Ghetto house in Hyde Park | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jisalynn_14221/4014925142/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

All sizes | dirt road | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/elmaschingon/156877563/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

All sizes | Fence. | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ernestbludger/264138688/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)
These would be high dollar properties in Seattle! Not kidding. You would pay more than 200K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 12:44 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
For the younger folk here, I'd like to point out that "ghetto" and "slum" are two different things, even if they often go hand-in-hand. A ghetto is a part of a city that's occupied mostly by one particular ethnic groups, such as Koreans, blacks, or Jews. It doesn't necessarily have to be a slum, which is a poor, dirty, shabby part of town with lots of substandard housing and crime.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:53 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
If you like ghettos, Columbus Georgia might interest you. For a city with a population of 189,000 and 1/3 of it being ghettos, I've never lived in a place with so many ghettos and run down neighborhoods.

Theres a neighborhood off S. Lumpkin rd in between that and the river that is all ghettos, used to be a middle class neighborhood in the 60's. Everything in between Victory Drive and Buena Vista Rd is all ghettos, then the neighborhood around Ilges Rd is ghetto, Decatur Court is one of the highest crime spots in the city which is nearby.

Neighborhoods around Floyd Rd and Buena Vista Rd east of I-185 are mostly ghettos. Talbotton Rd & 12th Ave is all ghetto, the neighborhood by Columbus Technical College is all ghettos, the hoods around 2nd Ave are ghettos... practically half the damn city is ghettos, not 1/3 of it.

Then you have Phenix City in Alabama which is all ghettos except for the north part.
Well not everything below Buena Vista Rd is ghetto. If you're talking about the area west of I-185 then I roll with you. However, east of 185 Buena Vista Rd has middle class black neighborhoods mixed in with run down apartment complexes.

I would say that Oakland Park is still middle class. There are middle class pockets in Benning Hills as well.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:36 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
For the younger folk here, I'd like to point out that "ghetto" and "slum" are two different things, even if they often go hand-in-hand. A ghetto is a part of a city that's occupied mostly by one particular ethnic groups, such as Koreans, blacks, or Jews. It doesn't necessarily have to be a slum, which is a poor, dirty, shabby part of town with lots of substandard housing and crime.
That's not the definition now. Ghetto = slum

Old 01-31-2012, 02:02 PM

45 posts, read 75,288 times
Minneapolis. Seattle. Really the highly educated northern cities that are primarily caucasian tend to lack ghettos, as least in the traditional sense of the word.

DC has a ghetto. It has a few.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:45 AM

177 posts, read 266,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I said it does, and among major cities.

San Antonio, El Paso, and Austin are not major cities, Seattle is on the cusp. As far as San Diego, maybe you are right but not sure

Relative to NYC, absolutely not, while the rate may be lessor in NYC there are far more ghettos relative to SF, probably any other city just by its sheer size.

And on metro, agree many impovershed (not all) have been pushed into the burbs of SF.

While I agree there are ghettos (as i said in the original post) to me me among major urban cities (to me I was more thinking Boston/NYC/Philly/DC/Chicago/LA/SF) to me it seems the least, maybe Boston next. I said they all do, I wish Philly had less personally, it isnt a bad thing to have fewer...
san antonio is the 7th largest u.s major city and is one of the biggest cities by square miles.......

Old 03-08-2012, 09:37 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han$ome Texan View Post
san antonio is the 7th largest u.s major city and is one of the biggest cities by square miles.......

Its big because of its size in square miles, but its still a mid-major

Old 03-08-2012, 12:31 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Portland (ME and Ore.) and Seattle have very few poor, dangerous areas

Old 03-08-2012, 01:21 PM

177 posts, read 266,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Its big because of its size in square miles, but its still a mid-major
but its larger than dallas in population. its like 1.3 million its ranked 7th in population i dont see how its not a major city yea it doesnt have the major city skyline but its still a major city

Old 03-08-2012, 01:25 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Portland (ME and Ore.) and Seattle have very few poor, dangerous areas
Denver comes out about the same as Portland for crime rate. Seattle a bit lower than both.

San Jose and San Diego come out even lower. Some of posters have shown some bad areas of each city, but compared to just about any other large American city, they must be very tame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City