Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which have better parties?
College towns 14 45.16%
World class cities (NYC, LA, Paris, etc.) 17 54.84%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 09:03 PM

64 posts, read 85,594 times

Advertisements

So I am a college student, 19 years old and I do not go to a party school, in fact I go to a commuter university where the parties are not that great.

I lived a sheltered childhood and was really screwed over during college admissions, failed to make my own decisions so as a result I was not able to get into UGA due to missed deadlines and such and even though not all of it was my fault, I am going to say it was my fault.

NOW PLEASE do not come in trying to play the role of mom and dad, I will party throughout my life as soon as I get some money and even if it means I have to throw opportunities away. So just answer the question instead of trying to play the role of mom and dad and say "OOOO BUT PARTIES ARE BAD FOR YOU".

I have decided that after I am done with college I am going to go to the best party cities in the world and in the US like NYC. But how would a good party in NYC for example compare to a party in Athens? Which one is going to be better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 09:12 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,874,822 times
I'd much rather go to a rooftop party in NYC than go to a frat party in a college town. But that's just me.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:58 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,887,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I'd much rather go to a rooftop party in NYC than go to a frat party in a college town. But that's just me.
This.

I've been to college parties in Amherst, Syracuse, Albany, Santa Barbara, and Santa Cruz. I've also been to college parties in NYC, SF/Oakland, LA, and Boston/Cambridge. The latter, IMHO, were drastically more fun and generally "cool."

Of course, a lot of it has to do with your crowd, who's at the party, etc... I mean, plenty of people would rather have a low-key, small-town houseparty than go to a big loft party in a downtown area.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:19 AM

64 posts, read 85,594 times
so basically, I can have more fun than my friends who are partying in Athens?

Old 12-07-2011, 09:18 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,874,822 times
I went to school in a college town and went to plenty of parties and there was nothing memorable about them. Everyone there was so drunk that conversation was torture. I can't even remember 99% of those parties. As a grad student I went to school in a large city and had so much more fun going to the bars and clubs with a more varied crowd. In college towns you tend to see the same people at all the parties which gets old and boring. But that's just my preference.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:27 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,717,963 times
Athens (GA), is about as wild as college towns come when it involves partying............

Old 12-08-2011, 03:49 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,531,488 times
Phoenix Arizona is where its at!

Old 12-08-2011, 03:54 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,299,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yates33 View Post
So I am a college student, 19 years old and I do not go to a party school, in fact I go to a commuter university where the parties are not that great.

I lived a sheltered childhood and was really screwed over during college admissions, failed to make my own decisions so as a result I was not able to get into UGA due to missed deadlines and such and even though not all of it was my fault, I am going to say it was my fault.

NOW PLEASE do not come in trying to play the role of mom and dad, I will party throughout my life as soon as I get some money and even if it means I have to throw opportunities away. So just answer the question instead of trying to play the role of mom and dad and say "OOOO BUT PARTIES ARE BAD FOR YOU".

I have decided that after I am done with college I am going to go to the best party cities in the world and in the US like NYC. But how would a good party in NYC for example compare to a party in Athens? Which one is going to be better?
NYC is world class, Athens is kind of hick.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:37 PM

136 posts, read 256,125 times
I feel college town parties are more fun because there are no limitations.....theres no worry about what your coworkers will think, or what the boss will say because you havent made it there yet. Inhibitions are relaxed, its less pretentious and more lively. And as a Georgia native, Ive seen how Athens can get, its CRAZY!

Old 12-08-2011, 06:16 PM

606 posts, read 355,862 times
I'm going to go against the fray and say that for your particular situation, Athens may be better.

Yes, NYC is amazing and partying there will be out of this world. However, I think you should save your big city party years for grad school or starting your career.

The reason is two-fold. First, experiencing the college life in a college town only happens between the ages of 17-23. Yeah, you can party in the grad school in a college town but it will not be he same. It will be an immature scene for that stage of life. It's also, in my experience, way easier to drink in college towns for the underaged. Of course every campus is different. In general, it's easier to get liquor.

The other reason is a large concern, and that is moola. I'm assuming since you're a college student, cash is going to be tight. Partying in NYC is going to cost you quite a pretty penny. Even if you have a fake ID and can get in anywhere you want, it's going to cost you. Even young working professionals with a salary find it difficult to afford.

You should go to Athens. Do NYC when you graduate. You will be sick of living in s small, college town and will be ready for something bigger and better by that time anyway and will hopefully have a job to afford it more. This way, you can experience both life styles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City