Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 12:45 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,926 times

Advertisements

My vote for best college town in the country would be Madison, Wisconsin.

A very pretty setting with Lake Mendota -------terrific environment with State Street----good people-----great academic environment at UW-----good football, basketball,and hockey programs--------Nice rolling hills of Wisconsin-------------------Madison has it all going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 12:49 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Might want to get back to the drawing board there guys, your formula OBVIOUSLY doesn't work. I don't get what professional opportunity even has to do with it, how many people even end up working where they went to college?
Actually a lot of people. Especially if it is in a specific field or is graduate school.

My wife went to law school in Boston and right now it is basically impossible to get a job in that city (something like 4 graduates for every 1 job, maybe even worse). Maybe that is what knocks a city like Boston down? (Of course it is so hard to get a job there because the quality / quantity of students produced).

Don't really get how SF is number one though, unless they are counting the entire metro area, there are some good schools there but nothing compared to Boston.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:49 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post

A very pretty setting with Lake Mendota -------terrific environment with State Street----good people-----great academic environment at UW-----good football, basketball,and hockey programs--------Nice rolling hills of Wisconsin-------------------Madison has it all going on.
Yeah, Madison is a good one too.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:13 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,709,999 times
This obviously has nothing to do with college students and has everything to do with bolstering these places' economies. Bravo local Chambers of Commerce! What a coup. No college kid could afford to live SF, NY, Washington or Boston. . Besides what college is IN SF? UC-SF? Ugh forget it. Stanford is way down on the Peninsula. UCSC is way down on the Bay in Central CA. San Jose State? While down in the Valley is hardly a "great" college. UC-Davis? Out in the cow pastures toward Sacramento and hardly a place I would run to. Give me a break.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
This obviously has nothing to do with college students and has everything to do with bolstering these places' economies. Bravo local Chambers of Commerce! What a coup. No college kid could afford to live SF, NY, Washington or Boston. . Besides what college is IN SF? UC-SF? Ugh forget it. Stanford is way down on the Peninsula. UCSC is way down on the Bay in Central CA. San Jose State? While down in the Valley is hardly a "great" college. UC-Davis? Out in the cow pastures toward Sacramento and hardly a place I would run to. Give me a break.
I dont agree with SF being number one but it has plenty of colleges in the city limits.

List of colleges and universities in San Francisco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Either way I wouldn't get so butt hurt over some stupid USA Today list.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:29 PM

771 posts, read 1,395,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
San Diego has a collection of really great universities, plus they are very large. Growing up in CA I would say 75% of my high school graduating class wanted to go to school in SD.
I am well aware of the colleges in San Diego and I don't doubt you on that. I almost went to one. However, with that being said Philadelphia and Chicago have many more colleges and draw many more college students nationally than San Diego does. I am not dissing the SD schools either as they are great, but Chicago and Philly have much more well known and recognized schools than SD.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
I am well aware of the colleges in San Diego and I don't doubt you on that. I almost went to one. However, with that being said Philadelphia and Chicago have many more colleges and draw many more college students nationally than San Diego does. I am not dissing the SD schools either as they are great, but Chicago and Philly have much more well known and recognized schools than SD.
That's true, especially of Philly (I think of Philly having more universities than Chicago, but I don't know if that is true)... But a lot of the recognition advantages these schools on the East Coast have are purely name recognition because they are very old schools. For example, Penn is instantly recognized as an upper tier school but UCSD may not be, simply because it is a newer school. I'm not totally sure but I would estimate they are fairly similar in quality level.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:42 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,049 times
The only list that should be of worth is Best College Towns. I love college towns because they are usually the epicenter of the particular town. Colleges in large cities kind of blend in and are a piece to that particular city.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:48 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post

You just can't beat Madison.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:52 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Raleigh and Durham both make their respective top ten lists (guessing that Durham's includes Chapel Hill). If the metro was combined like it was pre 2003, I suspect it would have ranked even higher as a consolidated metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City