Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:01 PM

46 posts, read 76,831 times

Advertisements

... and you were making a long term investment portfolio, which cities would you buy and which ones would you short? As a restriction, you can't "cash out" your portfolio until 2030. What direction do you see various major metros and cities heading?

Buy: Cities/metros that you suspect will make substantial gains during the next 20 years. These locales may be lagging behind now (so their stock price would be cheap) but appear to be turning around, or they may be great now and are on track to get even better.

Safety: Cities/metros that will maintain similar status over the coming decades. It would be surprising if they went to the extreme in either direction.

Short: Cities/metros that you suspect will decline or lose status during the next 20 years. Basically, you "sell" their stock now and have to buy it back later (hopefully at a lower price). They may be lagging behind now and are on track to become obsolete ghost towns, or they may be overhyped and unsustainable.

Note: population should NOT be the sole or main criteria here. Here are the criteria, in no particular order:

Population relative to other metro areas
Unemployment
Gross regional product
Average income, normalized to cost of living
Pollution
Presence of major sports teams
Educational attainment of the population
Being a destination for legal immigrants
Diversity of living options (can someone live without a car? what about have a house with a lawn? etc.)

Old 12-28-2011, 10:23 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
NYC: Safety
LA: Buy
Chicago: Short
Phoenix: short
Philly: safety
Houston: Buy
Dallas: Buy
anywhere in NC: BUY
Baltimore: BUy
DC: BUY

I'll do more after I eat.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:27 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
NYC: Safety
LA: Buy
Chicago: Short
Phoenix: short
Philly: safety
Houston: Buy
Dallas: Buy
anywhere in NC: BUY
Baltimore: BUy
DC: BUY

I'll do more after I eat.

Only one change for me

DC short

Feds are going to stop spending and the DC economy may look like everyone else in 2008

Philly is berkshire Bs Accumulate (NOT SAFETY NOR DO i FEEL nyc IS SAFETY nyc IS 402k FROM 24 TO 58) very consistent and continues to go up even in bad economies though doesnt grow as fast in the good economies

Old 12-28-2011, 10:31 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Only one change for me

DC short

Feds are going to stop spending and the DC economy may look like everyone else in 2008

Philly is berkshire Bs Accumulate (NOT SAFETY NOR DO i FEEL nyc IS SAFETY nyc IS 402k FROM 24 TO 58) very consistent and continues to go up even in bad economies though doesnt grow as fast in the good economies
Why?

Old 12-28-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Only one change for me

DC short

I need fast money.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Why?

Well large defence cuts; which ave a 3/2 to 1 impact private to public in DC and already overpriced housing market starting to become riled in short sales

Over leverage of foreign investment and grwoth assumtions based on decannual 20+ percent growth in a market grossly supported by government spend

I am pretty the VAST majority of peeople in this forum never experienced a DC economy in contraction based on govt spend

Yes the Feds employ directly about 20% today and indirectly (though I argue DIRECTLY on govt contract) an additional 40% of the DC economy(and please dont tell me discovery channel or Marriott)

So yes it is absolutely the most insular and preserved bubble in the uS yet to burst

And I am not a nay sayer. I am a realist I have lived through this in the past. If you are below 35 you have not and zero context nor perspective

Old 12-28-2011, 10:40 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times
Quote:
Well large defence cuts; which ave a 3/2 to 1 impact private to public in DC and already overpriced housing market starting to become riled in short sales

Over leverage of foreign investment and grwoth assumtions based on decannual 20+ percent growth in a market grossly supported by government spend

I am pretty the VAST majority of peeople in this forum never experienced a DC economy in contraction based on govt spend

Yes the Feds employ directly about 20% today and indirectly (though I argue DIRECTLY on govt contract) an additional 40% of the DC economy(and please dont tell me discovery channel or Marriott)

So yes it is absolutely the most insular and preserved bubble in the uS yet to burst

And I am not a nay sayer. I am a realist I have lived through this in the past. If you are below 35 you have not and zero context nor perspective
If you're referring to the VA suburbs, then yes, you have a point. Those contractors are vulnerable, but as long as the US has a government, the DC economy will always boom. It's not a bubble. It's a constant cash flow.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
If you're referring to the VA suburbs, then yes, you have a point. Those contractors are vulnerable, but as long as the US has a government, the DC economy will always boom. It's not a bubble. It's a constant cash flow.
I agree with this. The Virginia side of the DC area is gonna take a pounding.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:

Will always boom

How old are you? were you around in the 80s?

Wow delusion is greater in the youth than I had assumed

Believe as you may; WE are NOT a socilaist sociesty as DC is in the current incarnation being funded as

Wow Just wow

I have seen both sides and dont believe DC to e insulated (why would 1.5% of the US population be insulated from reality, it isnt it has been delayed not residing in a bubble

Holy sh$t people in DC actually believe their economy is special WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

look at history people have TREMENDOUSLY short memeories and to me useless experience to believe DC is some US bubble wow just wow I thought DC attracted smart people

Old 12-28-2011, 10:46 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:

I have never asked you this before but, what are your unemployment predictions for the D.C. MSA and what are the housing price % reductions for the D.C. MSA? Also, based on that, what are your predictions for 2012 in the D.C. MSA (meaning actual number %)? It will be interesting to compare what you predict now at the end of 2011 compared to what will actually happen this time next year at the end of 2012. Just wondering.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City