Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 03:19 PM

69 posts, read 263,663 times

Advertisements

How do these two cities compare in regards to:

• Employment for an IT Professional
  • Employment for a Banking or Finance Professional
  • Air Quality
  • Pollution
  • Weather
  • Amenities
  • Outdoor Recreation - Parks and Hiking Trails
  • Scenery
  • Traffic
  • Restaurants
  • Cost of Living
  • House Prices
Any responses will be appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 11:32 PM

12 posts, read 80,345 times
Granted I've never been to Colorado-but have family that live there. I do live in Boise (i am originally from Wash.state) and here is what I know:

Both are wonderful places to Live-alot of people live CS because it's close to Denver and more things to do in a big city. Others like Boise because of the small town community feel of the place-it's really friendly-alot less crime than Colorado springs. Colorado has twice the population than Boise.

Jobs are probably same, except Boise has downsized a bit in the IT jobs available here.

Air Quality-Colorado has better. Boise gets inversions quite a bit-colorado is higher elevation so they don't get the haze we do.

Pollution-both are very clean cities-can't rate one higher than the other.
Weather-very similar though Colorado I think is warmer during the day and colder at night.

Outdoor Recreation-tons at both locations.
Colorado spings-Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, Whitewater rafting, Cave of the winds, seven falls, Helen Hunt falls, tons of bike/hiking trails-mountain climbing and ski resorts outside CS. aplenty. Manitou cliff dwellings-sounds pretty neat and Ponderosa Park-great hiking trails there too.
Boise: Greenbelt (biking/walking path alongthe Boise River) Boise River-Floating during summertime, Boise Foothills are wonderful for hiking/biking Camelsback/Tablerock and Hulls Gulch. Birds of Prey national conservation area, Eagle Island State park and boating at Luckypeak or Black Canyon among other places. many places just north of boise to camp. Bogus Basin/Tamarack Ski Resort, MK Nature Center, Idaho Botanical Gardens.
Similar restaurants/stores/shopping
I would bet cost of living is less in Boise-hands down
House prices are comparable-but in colorado springs there are places/areas to avoid living(more crime)-and in Boise there aren't.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:43 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
CO Springs is in a desirable and beautiful mountain setting, and has the advantage of Denver nearby. Boise is in a brown valley surrounded by brown hills in the middle of nowhere. Next big cities like Portland, Seattle, and Salt Lake city are 5-6 hours away. Southern Idaho isn't much to write home about. The northern tier the state is much prettier.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:03 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,813 times
I had a friend who biked across the country and posted photos, including many of Boise and surrounding area. It actually looked pretty nice, and tranquil, and its mountains didn't look terrible. The skyline was more impressive than what you would think would be in Boise. The only things I know about CS are that it has the Broadmoor, is near Denver, and is a big military town. I imagine if I was left up to the choice of living in either one, I could probably swing either way.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:39 PM

704 posts, read 1,792,550 times
I've never been to Boise, but I can speak to Colorado Springs:

Great city. It's a growing military/family town, and easily one of the most scenic in the country. Far more beautiful than Denver (or Boise) because it has Pikes Peak quite literally RIGHT THEREin the city's backdrop. It's proximity to Denver also ensures that you'll probably never get bored.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:05 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,190,547 times
My opinion is that the city of Boise (things that human's built), is better than the city of Colorado Springs. The natural settings and location of Colorado Springs is better. CS is one of the most scenic cities in the US and it's location to Denver will compensate for anything that can't be found there.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:38 AM

69 posts, read 239,000 times
The cost of housing (purchases and rentals) appears to be quite a bit lower in Boise, although most importantly, there is work in Colorado Springs to help afford the higher costs. Whereas there is no work in Boise.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:22 AM

63 posts, read 132,997 times
Colorado Springs has a creepy vibe to it. Hard to describe - kind of taking the disdain of reality California has and tuning it with phony mega-church values. It is about as genuine as the Italian decor at an Olive Garden restaurant. I'd go to Boulder - at least they are unabashedly stuck in 1968.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:21 PM

8 posts, read 21,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darien_Rod View Post
Colorado Springs has a creepy vibe to it. Hard to describe - kind of taking the disdain of reality California has and tuning it with phony mega-church values. It is about as genuine as the Italian decor at an Olive Garden restaurant. I'd go to Boulder - at least they are unabashedly stuck in 1968.
But then I wonder if the ultra-majority of LDS in Boise...well, you see what I'm comparing....

Old 03-06-2011, 01:27 PM

785 posts, read 1,882,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burebista View Post
But then I wonder if the ultra-majority of LDS in Boise...well, you see what I'm comparing....
According to figures I've found, whilst LDS account for the highest percentage in Idaho (23%) that's nowhere near a majority. The only figure I could find for Boise was 14.8%, which is even lower.

I agree though, if the LDS were a majority, it might be a little creepy for anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City