Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 5,615 times

Advertisements

Hi, I could really use some help in trying to decide between living in these two cities. I am a college undergraduate in NC and will be going on exchange next semester so that I can see more of this country. The main thing I want is opportunity for outdoor activities which is why Bozeman and Colorado Springs are my two main choices. From the research I have done it seems Bozeman is fairly more expensive than the Springs and money is definitely a factor for me. On the down side for the Springs though is that the city seems, from what I can tell from looking around, very religious and conservative. I don't affiliate myself with any religion so if there are a ton of people there trying to shove theirs down my throat I don't know how I would fit in.

Would I be able to fit in in the Springs? Which place has more/better outdoor activities and opportunities? Which city has nicer people? And is there a huge difference in costs of living? I would most likely be staying in an off-campus student apartment complex.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 10:39 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,885,666 times
Kind of apples and oranges. Bozeman is a beautiful, college town (Montana State) but much smaller (metro 89,000) than COS (metro 672,000). Colorado Springs is a nice locale and I’m sure you would find the access to outdoor activities remarkable. And if you need a "big city" fix, Denver is an hour away. As for the city itself, it is a military town. Therefore, fairly conservative but NOT overtly so, as some would have you think. I’ve lived here for 12 years (Denver native) and have never been proselytized by any faith. If anything, this city has a “live and let live”, libertarian attitude. You’d be welcome here!

Old 02-02-2012, 04:47 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,995 times
Just stay away from Focus on the Family. No one is going to try to shove religion down your throat, that's an outdated COS stereotype. The "Ted Haggard/Focus on the Family" era has been in decline in the city, it's slowly becoming more normalized despite what some like to say.

Besides, the people that are the most outdoorsy, fit types live on the west side in the foothills and they're the more liberal-leaning/independent thinking type folks. Lived there for 15 years and your outdoor opportunities are pretty much limitless, plus you have the amenities of a medium-sized city right there unlike Bozeman.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:19 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insideman34 View Post
Hi, I could really use some help in trying to decide between living in these two cities. I am a college undergraduate in NC and will be going on exchange next semester so that I can see more of this country. The main thing I want is opportunity for outdoor activities which is why Bozeman and Colorado Springs are my two main choices. From the research I have done it seems Bozeman is fairly more expensive than the Springs and money is definitely a factor for me. On the down side for the Springs though is that the city seems, from what I can tell from looking around, very religious and conservative. I don't affiliate myself with any religion so if there are a ton of people there trying to shove theirs down my throat I don't know how I would fit in.

Would I be able to fit in in the Springs? Which place has more/better outdoor activities and opportunities? Which city has nicer people? And is there a huge difference in costs of living? I would most likely be staying in an off-campus student apartment complex.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
In my opinion Bozeman has easier accessibility to outdoor activities and the quality is world-class. I have found Montanans quite friendly and can't speak to Colorado Springs specifically but as a larger city have trouble believing that it could be as friendly or friendlier than a town of under 100K. In terms of expenses, look at Craigslist for both cities. I just looked quickly and Rooms/Shares looked to be significantly more expensive in Colorado Springs than Bozeman and I would say the higher proportion of students in Bozeman actually keeps costs down. Year long leases might be more expensive in Bozeman but since you're renting for a semester you obviously wouldn't be looking in that sector, and furthermore would imagine finding a sublet over the summer in Bozeman will offer a number of choices. Good luck!

Old 02-03-2012, 08:59 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,494 times
I'd rather live in Bozeman but for a college kid it's probably best to choose Colorado Springs. It's close to Denver and there's plenty to do.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:04 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
You're in North Carolina, and you're afraid people in Colorado will push religion down your throat?

When people try to do that, you have to just learn to be rude to the buggers. First, ask them to buy you a meal, though. They love to make a pretense of being generous and altruistic.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:27 AM

50 posts, read 141,494 times
If outdoor opportunities are, indeed, your primary criteria, Bozeman wins this in a landslide. You have Yellowstone and the Beartooth Mountains practically at your backdoor. Glacier NP, which far surpasses anything the Front Range (including RMNP) can offer in terms of natural beauty, is only 5.5 hours away. The amenities Colorado Springs offers could be construed as a bit of a double-edged sword. If you value the solitude of a true wilderness experience, it is much easier to find in the areas surrounding Bozeman than the Front Range, which is heavily utilized for recreational purposes by locals, particularly on weekends.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:48 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times
I'm not sure what schools you are looking at attending. I am a graduate of Colorado College, long ago, married a girl from the Springs, and have also been in Bozeman and worked with researchers at Montana State. It's a great university for various natural-resource related disciplines. CC is an outstanding, small, liberal arts college and UC, Colorado Springs is not all that good a place to have on your resume.

The better place for recreation - probably Bozeman - since the mountains are closer, but both places are good as jumping off points to get into some pretty rugged territory. Culture-wise, Bozeman is a pretty hip place, but the Springs also has a lot to offer in and around CC.

Yes, Bozeman housing is more expensive, but you have the US army to deal with in the Springs and there's lots of really cheap housing that weighs on the market.

Good luck.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:30 AM

704 posts, read 1,792,550 times
Colorado Springs is indeed full of conservatives and Christians. But I--and most people who live there--tend to think that that fact makes the area even more desirable to live in. It's very friendly, family-centered, and liveable, and much of that is due to the influence of low-tax conservatives and community-minded Christians.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:56 PM

963 posts, read 2,410,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You're in North Carolina, and you're afraid people in Colorado will push religion down your throat?

When people try to do that, you have to just learn to be rude to the buggers. First, ask them to buy you a meal, though. They love to make a pretense of being generous and altruistic.

As they used to say in the '70s, right on.

And I'm a native/resident of NC, by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City