Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area is last welcoming to transplants
New York City 13 13.00%
Los Angeles 6 6.00%
Chicago 2 2.00%
Dallas 5 5.00%
Philadelphia 17 17.00%
Houston 1 1.00%
Washington DC 3 3.00%
Miami 2 2.00%
Atlanta 7 7.00%
Boston 15 15.00%
Bay Area 2 2.00%
Detroit 7 7.00%
Phoenix 3 3.00%
Minneapolis 2 2.00%
Seattle 15 15.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 06:14 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I have moved to 7 states, the most recent move being to Philly. I personally haven't had a problem fitting in quickly in any of these moves and have found people warm and welcoming north and south. I hold the belief that one's ability to fit in and make friends is more dependent on the attitude and personality of the person moving to a new locale rather than of those already living there. If someone finds themselves unwelcomed in several locales, I'd definitely suggest they look at their own behaviors rather than those of of the people around them.
Actually that's backwards for most in terms of meeting new people. Many people move to cities without knowing anyone and is like any social situation where everyone knows everyone else with the exception of a new person no one there knows. Select personalities can overcome such scenarios but most aren't the approach and introduce to strangers types. In a majority of cities residents will reach out to someone they don't recognize by reading the situation and realizing they're perhaps new by initiating conversation or simply saying hello. Philly residents aren't forthcoming which is partially point of the thread. Oh, and for the record with the snarky suggestion of "perhaps it's me"...I've made lifelong friends from living in DC and Durham/Chapel Hill. I also left the cold confines of Philly for NYC often where despite not living there managed to meet and make friends with people who I still visit with/visit me despite now living in Florida. My friend tally from living in Philly for 7 years? Zip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 11:57 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
My friend tally from living in Philly for 7 years? Zip.
That's an excellent barometer. When one is essentially the same person and their friend quotient varies from place to place. Going from ATL to SEA was an "eye-opener" in this regard. It was like night and day along this dimension. That's why I chose Seattle. I still keep in touch with people from Atlanta.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:58 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Hey, as a plug for Houston, can we say that it is probably the most welcoming, or among the most welcoming, cities for newcomers? I don't live there, but in 3 days that I spent there an handful of years ago, I definitely got the vibe that they are totally cool with newcomers and people are easy to get to know. It must be "doing well" in this poll for a reason.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:34 AM

2,596 posts, read 4,659,459 times
Default Boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
In my experience it was definately Seattle. Seattleites hated the large influx of californians and many others. The once low cost of living suddenly skyrocketed thru the roof, traffic became much worse and the El Caminos and VW Buses where replaced with Audis, BMWs and Lexus'. It was headline news with people putting signs in their yards, 'Californians Go Home'. I use to see people writing down my DC licence plate number to turn in to the police. It was crazy! Then came Tiffany, Louie, Hermes', Gucci, Barneys and the rest of the highend stuff. Seattle has definately change over the years. I wonder what it would be like if the newcomers never came.
Seattle folks really write down people's license plate just for being out of town. Lol. That's not safe for them. They'll eventually encounter the wrong out of towner

Old 03-16-2012, 08:05 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
No doubt the most unwelcoming people are from Seattle. When I was there I tried to point how much their city smelled like fish and was dank, musty and gloomy. Instead of taking my constructive criticism to heart, the cops were all, "well why don't you just climb on out of that dumpster and leave then, we like it here and don't care if it rains", "Fine' I say, 'go *********rselves, why don't you?"

Glad to see the poll validates my observation.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:12 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,880,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
No doubt the most unwelcoming people are from Seattle. When I was there I tried to point how much their city smelled like fish and was dank, musty and gloomy. Instead of taking my constructive criticism to heart, the cops were all, "well why don't you just climb on out of that dumpster and leave then, we like it here and don't care if it rains", "Fine' I say, 'go *********rselves, why don't you?"

Hahaha, well what do you expect? You tell them their city stinks and basically sucks -- that's not constructive criticism, it's criticism! It'd be constructive to say that "It seems very dreary and gloomy much of the time, how do you guys enjoy the outdoors? I heard Seattle is a fantastic city for the outdoors!"

Old 03-16-2012, 10:34 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
My friend tally from living in Philly for 7 years? Zip.
Why am I not surprised?

Old 03-16-2012, 01:45 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

While I don't necessarily disagree with the assertion that Seattle is unfriendly to transplants, I don't know if your story really helps prove anything.

I mean, seriously, what did you expect with that kind of comment? Criticize any city in this country (especially for some stuff that are completely out of people's control) and see what kind of response you get...it won't be too far off from the one you got.

I'm confused that you were actually surprised by the kind of response you got considering your comments...

Old 03-16-2012, 02:22 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Hahaha, well what do you expect? You tell them their city stinks and basically sucks -- that's not constructive criticism, it's criticism! It'd be constructive to say that "It seems very dreary and gloomy much of the time, how do you guys enjoy the outdoors? I heard Seattle is a fantastic city for the outdoors!"
thank you, I see what you mean how my comments could have been taken the wrong way and as I look back on this I'm now not 100% positive this even took place in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City