Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Boston 181 66.79%
Denver 90 33.21%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 04:57 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
In LoDo Blake St. Between 15th and 25th is pretty impressive for a 10 block span, but Boylston is much more impressive, Causeway is more Impressive than 20th St (abiet shorter)
how do you know? you don't. Get out and travel and then get back to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 05:02 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
how do you know? you don't. Get out and travel and then get back to us.
because I've been there?, its not like 495 is the end of my world.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
because I've been there?, its not like 495 is the end of my world.
Really, coming from the one who said Back Bay has it over the entire downtown of Seattle? Yah, OK. All you do is cheerlead Boston and fail to recognize strengths in other places so its easy to assume that 495 is your bubble. Tell us when you went to Denver, what did you do there?

Old 03-25-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Really, coming from the one who said Back Bay has it over the entire downtown of Seattle? Yah, OK. All you do is cheerlead Boston and fail to recognize strengths in other places so its easy to assume that 495 is your bubble. Tell us when you went to Denver, what did you do there?
I went last summer, I toured town, went for a hike in the Rocky Mountains (yes i know they are out of town), and went to a Rockies game.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I went last summer, I toured town, went for a hike in the Rocky Mountains (yes i know they are out of town), and went to a Rockies game.
So then why is it so hard for you to compliment another city? Why is it Boston's always trumping everything? Try recognizing that some cities are just different, not neccesarally better. Really it's just plain silly to draw comparisons between the North End and LoDo. Sure we all have our opinions and prefer many places over others, and it's a great thing to love your hometown, but you beat the dead horse one too many times with Boston without giving realistic recognition where it is due elsewhere. You an informative writer for all things Boston (and that's great) but you seem to miss the mark for, well.... most everywhere else.

How was hiking the Rockies? nice huh? What part did you go to?

Old 03-25-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
So then why is it so hard for you to compliment another city? Why is it Boston's always trumping everything? Try recognizing that some cities are just different, not neccesarally better. Really it's just plain silly to draw comparisons between the North End and LoDo. Sure we all have our opinions and prefer many places over others, and it's a great thing to love your hometown, but you beat the dead horse one too many times with Boston without giving realistic recognition where it is due elsewhere. You an informative writer for all things Boston (and that's great) but you seem to miss the mark for, well.... most everywhere else.

How was hiking the Rockies? nice huh? What part did you go to?
Golden Gate Canyon State park, its Gorgeous.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:53 PM

410 posts, read 633,615 times
Urban living - Boston
Living without a car - Boston
Downtown -Boston
Outdoors -Denver
Things to do on the weekends -Boston
Passion of sports fanbases - Boston
People - Denver
Quality of life - Boston
Economy - Boston
Which place you'd rather live -Boston
Which place you'd rather visit - Boston

Old 03-27-2012, 04:05 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Kidding, right? You might be thinking of a different Denver.
It's called h-y-p-e-r-b-o-l-e. You should try it some time But, seriously, the poster(s) who claim that Denver has an "exciting" downtown apparently don't get around much ... A few LODO blocks (more hair salons, per capita, than I've ever seen anywhere else - including blow-dry Newbury Street) and a virtually barren 16th Street mall after dark do not make for a "vibrant" experience. It's not as though Denver is a "bad" city; it's just a "boring" one - and I live in Boston, so I know boring ...

P.S.: I absolutely LOVE the Denver Art Museum, so it's not as though I think it's all like ... Worcester.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:16 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Boston's about as windy as it gets for major cities. I don't have rankings in front of me, but I think it's top 2 or 3 in the country. It's windy here. I don't know that I've been a spot in any city that's as consistently windy as Copley Square.
FWIW: I read recently that Boston is Numero Uno, followed by NYC.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:49 PM

30 posts, read 89,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
It's called h-y-p-e-r-b-o-l-e. You should try it some time But, seriously, the poster(s) who claim that Denver has an "exciting" downtown apparently don't get around much ... A few LODO blocks (more hair salons, per capita, than I've ever seen anywhere else - including blow-dry Newbury Street) and a virtually barren 16th Street mall after dark do not make for a "vibrant" experience. It's not as though Denver is a "bad" city; it's just a "boring" one - and I live in Boston, so I know boring ...

P.S.: I absolutely LOVE the Denver Art Museum, so it's not as though I think it's all like ... Worcester.
That's entirely false. But homer is what homer does... And if you came to Denver thinking nightlife was on the 16th Street Mall (a pedestrian SHOPPING mall) then the jokes on you. LOL. But then again, that's exactly what I would expect from a misinformed, sheltered individual such as yourself. From my experience, most SHOPPING malls close at around 9-10 pm across the entire US (whether it be indoors or outdoors).

***EDIT***

I count 165 restaurants, 53 bars, 13 clubs, 3 museums AND 27 art galleries in LoDo.....quite a stark difference from the "few LoDo blocks full of hair salons" as you described.

BTW, there are 14 hair salons TOTAL in LoDo. SMH.

Doubt my numbers? Links provided below courtesy of Yelp.com...

Yelp.com Restaurants in LoDo, Denver

Yelp.com Bars in LoDo, Denver

Yelp.com Clubs in LoDo, Denver

Yelp.com Museums in LoDo, Denver

Yelp.com Art Galleries in LoDo, Denver

Yelp.com Hair Salons in LoDo, Denver

Last edited by R_U_SERIOUS?; 03-28-2012 at 01:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City