Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:53 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
It was initially an inside joke in SoCal that was perpetuated by a radio "shock jock," and gets a chuckle in the area. Though this radio guy is syndicated nationally, the "909 thing" has to be explained to outsiders. I think that this is one of the areas in SoCal that picked up a lot of settlers from the "Dust Bowl" days, not sure, but the Central Valley of California and the northern edge of LA's San Fernando Valley, called Sylmar, definitely did.
So most of the dust bowl folks from Oklahoma/Texas/Kansas/etc ended up in Sylmar? I knew alot of them ended up in Bakersfield(which gave way to it's huge and well-known Country Music scene). I figure alot of them live in the Inland Empire. I guess that's why Fontucky has that name and rep. Than you add in the NASCAR track. CA seems like it sure has it's fair share of rural folk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 08:22 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,799,902 times
In my experience, the most self deprecating cities are easily Midwest cities, namely Cleveland and Detroit. Those two cities easily take the brunt of "that city is so sad and depressing" jokes. People I know from there even make fun of them.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:57 PM

78 posts, read 157,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Philadelphian's looks down on themselves and the city... some people don't realize what a great city they have. Here we call them negadelphian's.
Most of the negadelphians I met were ones who always talked down on the city just by looking at what other cities had. Such as some would be like "I'm tired of this city, it don't pop! I'm moving to Atlanta cuz' thats where gucci and usher be!". Knowing none of them have been to Atlanta and they already think it's the best city because the B.E.T awards is hosted there. Philadelphia is a true hometown. The only negadelphians are the one's who are under 18 years old. I'm not going to lie, I'm thinking about buying a condo in Miami, but I love Philly so much, I'm hoping to keep my crappy apartment here as my north home and get me a Miami condo.

But yeah, screw negadelphians. Everyone I know who's a transplant here loves the city. I also forgot to mention that negadelphians talk down on the city but never attempt to move. I've found 60 year old negadelphians who would never move if I gave them a key to a free florida mansion.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:08 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,799,394 times
Flint Michigan and Gary Indiana, they may be the most self depreciating of all midwest cities. They are both pretty glum towns.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:11 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Point View Post
Most of the negadelphians I met were ones who always talked down on the city just by looking at what other cities had. Such as some would be like "I'm tired of this city, it don't pop! I'm moving to Atlanta cuz' thats where gucci and usher be!". Knowing none of them have been to Atlanta and they already think it's the best city because the B.E.T awards is hosted there. Philadelphia is a true hometown. The only negadelphians are the one's who are under 18 years old. I'm not going to lie, I'm thinking about buying a condo in Miami, but I love Philly so much, I'm hoping to keep my crappy apartment here as my north home and get me a Miami condo.

But yeah, screw negadelphians. Everyone I know who's a transplant here loves the city. I also forgot to mention that negadelphians talk down on the city but never attempt to move. I've found 60 year old negadelphians who would never move if I gave them a key to a free florida mansion.
Yeah, I hate those types.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:49 PM

800 posts, read 780,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
Cincinnati is a really big one for this same with columbus especially cleveland.
Eh its the outsiders who have this view. Many native Cincinnatians love the city very much. People who didn't grow up in Cincinnati don't realize all the great things about it or don't appreciate the culture. You'll see many a Cincinnatian who goes away for college and comes back cause nowhere else feels quite the same.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:06 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,874,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
In my experience, the most self deprecating cities are easily Midwest cities, namely Cleveland and Detroit. Those two cities easily take the brunt of "that city is so sad and depressing" jokes. People I know from there even make fun of them.
You SHOULD be able to make fun of your city, and not take it so personally if/when somebody makes fun of it! The worst thing, IMO, is when somebody eagerly inquires why you decided to move to "MY CITY -- the greatest place on Earth, as everybody knows!". The look on their faces when you don't respond with a kiss-a$$ comment is priceless!

Old 03-29-2012, 02:18 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,912,445 times
BTW, it's not "depreciating", it's supposed to be "deprecating".

A city doesn't depreciate.

(unless you abandon it)

Old 03-30-2012, 08:15 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,373,230 times
Cleveland and Detroit

Old 03-30-2012, 09:27 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
BTW, it's not "depreciating", it's supposed to be "deprecating".

A city doesn't depreciate.

(unless you abandon it)
Actually no, because deprecate speaks in the context of humans or human attributes.

Depreciate means to reduce in value, as in a city's value; therefore the title is appropriate. It doesn't necessarily have to be a financial context.

The words overlap in meaning in some contexts, such as this one. When people depreciate, or reduce the value of, a city, they're referring to all physical manifestations of the city itself (which includes people), and not necessarily just themselves as residents of that city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City