Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which middle Midwest metro is best: Kansas City, Saint Louis, Omaha, Indianapolis
Kansas City MO 59 29.80%
Saint Louis MO 90 45.45%
Omaha NE 19 9.60%
Indianapolis IN 30 15.15%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 10:43 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,981,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Like I said, I would take a non-downtown MLB park over a minor league downtown park all day long. 99% of fans drive (or take transit) to a game and leave and don't have a beer at a bar anyway, even in the most urban parks. I have been to games in 28 MLB parks.
Apparently, you haven't been to Wrigley Field. There are many bars fans go to within walking distance to the ball park. What you say describes KC but that doesn't speak for other cities with pro ball parks within walking distance. Not everyone drives to the game when some have the option to walk to one living next to it and then stop off at a pub after the game. You can do that in Chicago, Indy but not in KC. Big difference.

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I think KC has way more urban housing options than Indy.
How you figure that? Downtown Indy's urban population is larger than KC's so the occupancy rate is going to be higher in a more compact centralized area. I will say that KC has bigger urban neighborhoods outside it's downtown but they lack vibrancy compared to Indy's downtown area. Those pics show hardly anyone walking in those photos. Also nothing in KC is wall to wall dense like Indy's Monument Circle, Washignton, Meridian and Wholesale District corridors. Downtown Indy's core is more centralized and compact. I don't see that in KC.

This is how a city comes together

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...OnMeridian.jpg

Monument Circle is our version of London's Picadilly Circus. It's our very own Times Square without the massive video screens of course. The best looking round about in the country I'd say. A true city centre.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...nt20Circle.jpg

Quote:
Yea Daytona has a pretty large speedway too. Big deal. KC's speedway has more to do around it than Indy's by a long shot and it only seats 100k. What in the world do speedways have to do with urban fabric and comparing major metro areas? Not a thing.
Since you bring up MLB ball park I bring up the Indy500 and IMS.

Quote:
I never said that, read my post again... and no Arrowhead should not be in downtown KC. There is no place to put it.
You stated that NFL stadium didn't belong in any city's downtown.

Quote:
Have you taken any urban planning classes?
I have taken architecture and have been to many places around the world to know the differences compared to someone who has never even left their country let alone a state. Traveling books, the class room setting, films and the internet will only tell you so much about a place but the experience (like tasting the food, the feel of the environment in person etc.)can only be complete when you get out there to know what's what. I've been to 3 different continents and plan to go to more.

Quote:
Downtown StL has has three large stadium venues downtown now for nearly 2 decades and a downtown ballpark for many decades. How long do you think it should take?
Well, that's in St Louis and not KC. I bet if next week if they we're to announce plans to implode both parks to be relocated downtown you would be all for it because it's in KC. You wouldn't say anything bad about that now would you?

Quote:
Tailgating is much more fun than crowding into some sports bar anyway.
You can also do that in Indy. You get the best of both worlds actually.

Quote:
But stadiums just don't have that much impact on having a vibrant downtown.
Stadiums are just one more place were people can go for entertainment just like shopping or seeing a movie. However, it's hard to deny that after the game there's very good chance that there will be many walking towards the pubs and restaurants. Nothing wrong with having that option. Thousands won't have an impact because all of them we're told to get in their cars and go away to the burbs. No street traffic vibrancy what so ever.

Last edited by JMT; 07-30-2012 at 06:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 02:39 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,981,704 times
Indy has a larger downtown population so it's going to have more dense residential infill.

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...Untitled-3.jpg
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...00r/infill.jpg
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...r/IMG_3416.jpg
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...IMG_3388-1.jpg
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...r/IMG_4104.jpg

This is a 2005 photo there's a lot more infill developed since then.
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...r/IMG_3627.jpg

A typical non event day
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...r/IMG_3613.jpg

Fancy paved bike paths in downtown like what you see in Europe.
sidewalk (left) bike path (middle) auto traffic (right)
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...r/IMG_7981.jpg

More dense urban housing in the historic Lockerbie Square neighborhood
Indianapolis, IN - Google Maps

Last edited by JMT; 07-30-2012 at 06:15 AM..

Old 05-22-2012, 05:03 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,927,929 times
None of these cities has a population density to write home about. St. Louis is the most densely populated, followed by Omaha. Kansas City and Indianapolis have an extremely low density. Not that it matters; I was just kind of surprised.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:44 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,808 times
Quote:
How does indy have better shopping? I really don't know as I'm not a shopping snob and don't really follow that, but I would be curious to know what Indy has that KC doesn't. About the only thing I can think of that KC doesn't have is IKEA.
The Fashion Mall at Keystone is nicer than any mall in KC, that's all I know. Not to mention Indy obviously blows it out with downtown shopping.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:29 AM

798 posts, read 1,034,802 times
In order to be completely unbiased, one would either have to have:
a) lived for a substantial amount of time in both
b) visited both without actually living there
c) not been to either at all

Living in one of the cities and then visiting the other doesn't get you the same feeling for both. A person needs to have a similar type of experience in both cities to have equal understanding of it.

Having said that and having been to neither, my list is:

St. Louis
Kansas City
Indy
(Omaha really doesn't belong on this list, unless its being compared to KC, KS)

Old 05-22-2012, 08:13 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
None of these cities has a population density to write home about. St. Louis is the most densely populated, followed by Omaha. Kansas City and Indianapolis have an extremely low density. Not that it matters; I was just kind of surprised.
Well, density stats are very misleading when looking at KCMO because the city limits covers such a huge area (much of it is suburban or even rural in parts).

The original city limits of KCMO has a respectable density of 5-9k per square mile. It's not boston or even St Louis, but it's not as low as the city wide density stats would have you believe.

I would assume the same can be said about Indy which is in a similar situation.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:17 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,880,875 times
Quote:
Well, density stats are very misleading when looking at KCMO because the city limits covers such a huge area (much of it is suburban or even rural in parts).

The original city limits of KCMO has a respectable density of 5-9k per square mile. It's not boston or even St Louis, but it's not as low as the city wide density stats would have you believe.

I would assume the same can be said about Indy which is in a similar situation.
The BEST indicator of downtown population "hustle and bustle" would be population density though, because when downtowns like Indy's are 5 or 6 square miles in area, you have to consider that size along with the resident population. Population density adjusts for size of downtown, making it an apples-to-apples comparison. Use this when comparing downtown residential populations instead of total population.

Also, even though cities like St. Louis are currently not as densely populated, STRUCTURALLY, they are as dense or moreso than just about any city in the country. At one point St. Louis had over 3X as many people living in the same area as its current population does. Population densities averaged over 20K ppsm in its heyday, unlike most cities today.

Something to consider when you think of density AND "urban feeling"!

Old 05-22-2012, 09:42 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,871,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
This is the thing that is bugging me... not so much that you just randomly added in this odd measure (yes I see that you qualified it "as is" and not saying that this makes Indy "win" overall, but makes more of a great little package), and this is a fine thing to debate I suppose, but a lot of your criteria for it is pretty standard for cities. Restaurants, shopping, hotels... really? Yeah, all of these things (minus the aforementioned state capital) are within your walking distance in St. Louis, and probably a whole lot of cities. KC just posted some beautiful pics for the other side of Missouri as well.

Maybe I'm just use to it, but isn't it pretty normal to go out on the town after a game? (Minus the commuter family only type) Or after class?
I see what you're saying.

The things I listed are fairly standard for cities, indeed. What isn't standard is to have so many "city amenities/entertainment" in such a small area.

It is a double edged sword in this respect, for Indianapolis at least. A visitor to the city can "do" the city of Indy in a very small and compact area. Staying at a hotel downtown affords someone the ability to see/experience 95% of what the city has by strictly walking. Even the woefully deficient IndyGo bus system is effective for the downtown area. The only other points of interest outside the one square mile that I defined would be the Children's Museum (best there is, no debate about this), IMA, Indianapolis Zoo, and the Speedway.

But on the flip side, someone might not feel like they're getting their money's worth if they only hang out around that one square mile, because there is still 360+ square miles of the city that is not being "explored", as it were. But because a vast majority of the things worth coming for a visit are located in such a small area, there really isn't much of a reason to venture much further out.

Maybe I'm weird, but if I go to a city, I want to be able to see things that are associated with that city and not have to put in too much work to do so.

If I went to Kansas City, I would want to see Arrowhead stadium. Historic place (at least for NFL fans). But what would I do when I got to Arrowhead? Especially if it wasn't a game day? Go to Taco Bell? Subway? Walk the ITT Technical Institute Campus? Basically, I would show up, walk around, take some pictures and then leave. There is nothing else's around there, from what I can tell, that would keep me entertained after the initial viewing. I would then head... back downtown.

St. Louis and Indianapolis don't have that problem.

If I had to vote (which I won't because my vote would be based on a bias or what I "feel" would be the best) I would say St. Louis is better due to it's much smaller city boundaries and the fact that transportation options are ahead of Indianapolis.

Cities with multiple transportation options have a head start on those that don't.

Rail Transportation and Great Cities?

Old 05-22-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
...Believe it or not, Colts games have both tailgaiting AND bars all within walking distance of each other. Shocking right! So come to a Colts game and pick your poison, you have both to choose from.
I used to tailgate in the parking lot of the Slippery Noodle Inn... then stumble a quarter mile to the stadium. And if I didn't have tickets to the game, I could stumble to another bar and watch it from there.

Stumbling at Arrowhead gets you to... well... I-70?

I've never had much luck walking on Interstates.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
Can some of you Indy guys shed some light on your main residential developments in the main core?

I can find tons of hotels, offices, retail/entertainment. But I am having trouble finding a lot of info on permanent residents.

I found this pdf http://www.indydt.com/DowntownLivingOpportunities.pdf, but it doesn't show much residential in the core.

Like are either of these residential? Google Maps They would make for awesome renovations if not.
It isn't *exactly* what you're asking for, but this would be something that I would sign up to live in:

Indy's Bush Stadium begins conversion to apartments | Endangered Ballparks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City